U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM

13,390 posts, read 23,391,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Nope, Denver is the largest in terms of land area, and Atlanta is the busiest.

DFW is third-busiest in Aircraft movements, 8th busiest in number of passengers (as of 2009. DFW is projected to go up in rank this year to #7). 56 Million passengers is nothing to sneeze at!

However, DFW was the largest when it was completed back in '74 though.
Indeed. You can get anywhere in the world with no or only one connection from DFW. You can from ATL too. Its a nice perk about living here. Especially for me since I travel all the time for work. I was in Guatemala City last week early in the week on a nonstop American Airlines flight from DFW. Then I had to go to San Francisco for a Friday meeting and I flew Guatemala City-DFW-San Francisco on American. Finally, Im back in Dallas until the 12th when I go to Shanghai (via Tokyo from DFW).

Having DFW is nice.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,818,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Indeed. You can get anywhere in the world with no or only one connection from DFW. You can from ATL too. Its a nice perk about living here. Especially for me since I travel all the time for work. I was in Guatemala City last week early in the week on a nonstop American Airlines flight from DFW. Then I had to go to San Francisco for a Friday meeting and I flew Guatemala City-DFW-San Francisco on American. Finally, Im back in Dallas until the 12th when I go to Shanghai (via Tokyo from DFW).

Having DFW is nice.
Indeed And can I borrow some of YOUR AAdvantage miles, LOL...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM

4,706 posts, read 7,678,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Having DFW is nice.
A saying I hear thrown around here is "Whether you're going to heaven or hell, you have to go through DFW."

That being said, I don't really see how the level of urbanity makes a city better or worse than another city. Just because Dallas doesn't have the walkability of denser cities or feel like a "big city" doesn't mean it doesn't have character or there aren't world-class amenities, and I'm not sure the author of the article really gets that.

Last edited by Westerner92; 04-26-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,282,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That article is absolutely spot-on.

Dallas is a major city but doesn't feel like a city.
Many parts of Dallas feel like a city to this former NY'er. But, I can understand how someone who lives in Lantana and actually considers that a part of Dallas might disagree.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 14,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Many parts of Dallas feel like a city to this former NY'er. But, I can understand how someone who lives in Lantana and actually considers that a part of Dallas might disagree.

Yes, because I've lived all my life in this one spot.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, because I've lived all my life in this one spot.
Oh, so you've never actually lived in Dallas, yet you constantly denigrate it?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Oh, so you've never actually lived in Dallas, yet you constantly denigrate it?

Are you really this stupid, or is it an act?

Yes, I've lived in Dallas. Regardless of that, "Dallas" is made up of a ton of suburbs. So you get many people saying "I'm from Dallas" who live in Plano or Richardson or wherever. One doesn't have to live within the city limits of Dallas to live in "Dallas / Fort Worth".

Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Are you really this stupid, or is it an act?

Yes, I've lived in Dallas. Regardless of that, "Dallas" is made up of a ton of suburbs. So you get many people saying "I'm from Dallas" who live in Plano or Richardson or wherever. One doesn't have to live within the city limits of Dallas to live in "Dallas / Fort Worth".
Two different things. "I'm from Dallas" is NOT the same as "I'm from the DFW metro" or "I'm from suburban Dallas". People might respond that way to the person sitting next to them on a plane in an effort to simplify a conversation with someone who they will never see again, but it's not accurate when they live in Lantana or any other community outside of Dallas County. And NO, Dallas is not made up of a ton of suburbs. Greater DFW is. Dallas is a CITY of about 1.3 million people. Dallas County contains Dallas and numerous inner-ring suburbs. You live in NEITHER. And yet, you constanly ***** and moan about how bad "Dallas" is. If you don't like Lantana, then F'n LEAVE. But please don't blame your obvious misery on Dallas when you don't even live here.

I actually live in Dallas and have had a much happier experience than you. You live in the DFW metro. Big difference. Last time I looked, it contained a population of about 6.5 million people spread over about 12 counties. It's as diverse as Highland Park is to Balch Springs. "Dallas" does NOT equal Lantana nor any other burg outside of the City of Dallas or, at least, Dallas County. Distant Counties might be fairly close to Dallas geographically, but they are far apart in most other ways.

If you don't like where you live, then move! Just think, you can whine incessantly on City-Data about how awful things are in the next place that is unfortunate enough to have you as a resident.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 PM

What part of "I've lived in Dallas" slipped by you? I lived there for years. Moving 30 miles north changed nothing. It's just as bland and soulless here as it is there. It's the entire area that sucks, not just the city. I didn't realize that one had to live within the confines of a city to be familiar with it. Rgardless, I've lived there. Now I don't. Both areas suck just about equally, though living a little further north is marginally better.

I'm always so amused by Texans. So intolerant.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 PM

3,978 posts, read 5,217,844 times
I think the city of Dallas feels very much like a big city. How much bigger should a city feel? most people in this big city choose to drive over walk, so what? When its summer 8-9 months of the year the culture tends to be a little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas