Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

As a far as any marginal areas bordering the Park Cities and Lakewood, they are rapidly being redeveloped - see today's DMN for example. As a Real Estate investor of 25 years, I've had the chance to sell out to the McMansion builders for the last 4-5 years. At first the least desirable single family properties were in the $150K range for a tear-down. Then it was $175K, then passed $200K now it's around $250K. I went through the 80s and saw the bust. But I'm holding on because I believe these redevelopments and the addition of yet another ring of exurbs much further from our Downtown (which will really be something in 5-10 years) will push these prices through the roof. I even believe the new DART line will bring back Deep Ellum strong and stimulate new development around Fair Park.

I can't speak to the schools in the bubble, but I have attended and volunteered in the East Dallas schools all my life and I've never been more confident about their future. I wish you could have talked to some parents involved with J L Long and Woodrow.

See their recent accomplishments I have posted on the Dallas Schools and Lakewood thread.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 05-07-2007 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keikis View Post
We were drawn to Lakewood, HP and UP because several here recommended them and we like the classic architecture (and trees!) in those areas, but as a family of four we had a few concerns.

As we hope to be in our next home for several years, our first concern is that these neighborhoods might not be able to hold their appreciation because of nearby neighborhoods that we saw that are less desirable.
Just a huge FYI, here...
These areas, esp. the bubble (Park Cities) are appreciating like crazy, esp. for the past 5 yrs. They are pushing gentrification outwards -- crime and ghetto-ization are not pushing in on them.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,923 times
Smile Questions about Dallas

Can you tell me if East Dallas is a bad area? The area around Truxillo St. just off of Ferguson Rd. and Shiloh Rd. It looks some what close to Cotillion Park.

I was just wondering if this was a low income, high crime area.

Thank you,
questiongirl

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questiongirl View Post
Can you tell me if East Dallas is a bad area? The area around Truxillo St. just off of Ferguson Rd. and Shiloh Rd. It looks some what close to Cotillion Park.

I was just wondering if this was a low income, high crime area.

Thank you,
questiongirl
Ferguson and Shiloh is not exactly the greatest area, no.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:39 PM

That's Far East Dallas. I don't get on the other side of White Rock Lake very often so I can't say. However, I know a lot of people think that is a great place to buy rental property and expect it to make a huge comeback and profit as Old East Dallas did in the last few years.

There is a Ferguson Highland Improvement Project and Board. Will try to dig up some info on that but if you contact City Councilman Gary Griffith (now running for mayor) he should have all the info.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
My wife and I were looking in that general area, but accessibility to the areas East of White Rock Lake drove us to look elsewhere. Seems like you can go north/south in DFW easy... but east/west always sucks.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
My wife and I were looking in that general area, but accessibility to the areas East of White Rock Lake drove us to look elsewhere. Seems like you can go north/south in DFW easy... but east/west always sucks.

Due in no small part to the Park Cities!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:29 PM

You mean the park cities are blocking expanding east/west corridors like Mockingbird and Lovers? Surely, you jest.

White Rock Lake sure makes it hard to cross, too. Mockingbird and Northwest are crazy packed during rush hour.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Yeah about 20 something years ago there were rumors of a bridge across the middle of White Rock...you never saw so many people get so riled!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:01 PM

such a small lake to worry about that at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas