Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 39,149 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to be moving to Dallas to attend postbac classes at UT Dallas in Richardson. I am looking to rent an apartment reasonably close to the school. I have visited Dallas before but I really have no idea of its geographic layout. I am looking for an area with mostly young people in their 20s/30s (but not drunk college kids) that is relaxed and liberal. I also like going outside to run and play tennis, so it would be nice if this area had running/biking trails and tennis courts or a park nearby. Where in Dallas should I begin to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,653,817 times
UT Dallas is near the Richardson/Plano area. Streets are Campbell/Coit/75. There are LOTS of apartments in the area. Just avoid anything on McCallum Road.

I don't know about that area being liberal; it's pretty much a family/suburban part of town. Most of the liberal type areas are in inner-city Dallas, which is a long way from UTD.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 AM

108 posts, read 316,933 times
I would recommend the apartments along Renner Road East of UTD. They are new and attractive architecturally, and probably have a very updated interior. It's not a particularly liberal area, but not especially conservative either. It's also in Richardson, which has several good parks, especially the Spring Creek trail-a beautiful walking/running/biking trail on Plano Rd just south of the Renner intersection (I usually enter at Foxbury park). It is also a low crime area. If you aren't familiar with an area in the Metroplex, make sure you check out the crime rate before making any housing commitments. There are some spotty areas even pretty far north that have a bad reputation.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 39,149 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went apartment hunting and viewed several nice places in Richardson on Renner Road. I will probably end up leasing from one of these places. But just out of curiosity, are there any other areas (they don't have to be in Richardson, but at least a 15-20 minute commute to UT Dallas) with apartments that have a younger, hipper, more artsy, and
urban-esque vibe to them? If so, could you let me know of some apartment names in those areas? The apartments I viewed are primarily in residential areas...I don't really mind that but I was just wondering if I was missing out on anything relatively close to UTD that might be more of what I am looking for.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,373,273 times
Did you check the Addison circle area?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,757,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperaeroplane View Post
Hello,

I am going to be moving to Dallas to attend postbac classes at UT Dallas in Richardson. I am looking to rent an apartment reasonably close to the school. I have visited Dallas before but I really have no idea of its geographic layout. I am looking for an area with mostly young people in their 20s/30s (but not drunk college kids) that is relaxed and liberal. I also like going outside to run and play tennis, so it would be nice if this area had running/biking trails and tennis courts or a park nearby. Where in Dallas should I begin to look?

There are cycling/running trails along Campbell and other streets around the campus. You will be in a cycling mecca. Richardson Bike Mart is across Campbell at Coit. Lots of Saturday and Sunday morning rides from novice to Cat 1,2,Pro level and various distances that leave from the shop. You can also ride down to write Rock Lake and around and back utilizing safe roads and trails for a 34 mile ride from here. I live across Campbell RD from UTD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas