Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
It is a bit of a stretch. It you look at CMSA's it is actually more like 7th, 8th, or 9th. They always list it ahead of San Fran which is a far more populated area. it is listed ahead of Boston which is also a more populated area. It is even listed ahead of Washington DC which is a far more populated area. If you counted all the areas around Philly I think there are more people there also. An arguement could even be made for Miami and believe it or not if you considered the size of the DFW area there may even be more people in the Tampa- St. Pete and Orlando areas combined. So to call it the fourth largest metro is a bit of a stretch.
You really should consider consulting facts before posting if you going to make posts like that (Comparing Orlando to DFW in size is pretty ignorant, even if you do look at CSA, DFW is larger than Miami). Im not here to defend Dallas or DFW, Im here to defend the truth.

The truth is that DFW IS the 4th largest MSA in the USA. Thats not debatable thats fact. If you would rather point to CSA numbers than DFW is the 7th.

But first you need to understand what the difference is between CSA and MSA. CSA's are merely regional populations. They dont have economic ties to one another and function on more than one economy. MSA's are economically bound and function as one economy (almost like a huge city).

There is a reason DC and Baltimore arent an MSA. Same with San Francisco and San Jose. They have independant economies. However there are reasons, that Los Angeles and Orange County, Dallas and Fort Worth, and Miami and Fort Lauderdale are MSA. They function as one economy.

You really need to reasearch your numbers better if you going to make claims that are way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM

By the way, I dont see Dallas bashed on this board any more or less than other major cities. The people I see who bash Dallas usually fall into two catagories:

1) Houstonians- and to be fair, Dallasites do the exact same thing to Houston
2) People who think Texas is the same way it was in 1950. These would be people who have never been there, but like to make stereotypes
3) People who just dont like the landscape or climate- Thats fair enough. Not everyone loves blistering summers and prarie land.

I will say that I find Texas (from Dallas or Houston) to be more defensive than other posters. Its almost as if youre saying something good about Houston, you must be bashing Dallas and vice-versa. Then it becomes a race to see how fast you can put down the other city by twisting facts and so forth (or just by saying that it sucks). Why cant they both be nice, but not perfect cities? It seems that the Texans first reaction to everything is to fight (or online, to bicker).

Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The only way DC is bigger is when you add Baltimore. Then the metro turns from 5.3 million into a metro of 8.1. Same with San Francisco and San Jose. But then you turn it into a CSA in which yes, Dallas-Fort Worth becomes number 7 with the chance of passing San Francisco-San Jose sometime by the middle of the next decade.

Miami doesn't have a CSA. It's only an MSA and what it says as an MSA is what you get. DFW MSA is larger than Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach MSA anyway.

Tampa-Orlando or Orlampa as what some natives call it has a population of 4,765,445 when you combine the two. Orlando to Tampa is 85 miles apart while Dallas to Fort Worth is 35 miles apart and has 6.3 million in it's MSA alone. Not a great comparison.
good points Spade, I didn't take time to do the research but I knew there was no comparing Orlando/Tampa to DFW. As you said, if for no other reason, 85 miles is certainly not part of the metro area anywhere.

Same with DC/Baltimore: we lived in NO VA for 7 years, Balt isn't a suburb of anything. They are 2 totally different cities and areas, same with San Fransciso/San Jose..

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 04:16 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,564 times
Having lived in the DFW metro and with a brother living in H-town.....I don't understand why the penis envy exist. They are both important cities to the nation that serves different purposes. There are two things that cause me to dislike Houston over Dallas and neither one of them are important to most, Houston being spread out with terrible traffic and Houston's sports teams.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
By the way, I dont see Dallas bashed on this board any more or less than other major cities. The people I see who bash Dallas usually fall into two catagories:

2) People who think Texas is the same way it was in 1950. These would be people who have never been there, but like to make stereotypes
3) People who just dont like the landscape or climate- Thats fair enough. Not everyone loves blistering summers and prarie land.

I will say that I find Texas (from Dallas or Houston) to be more defensive than other posters. Its almost as if youre saying something good about Houston, you must be bashing Dallas and vice-versa. Then it becomes a race to see how fast you can put down the other city by twisting facts and so forth (or just by saying that it sucks). Why cant they both be nice, but not perfect cities? It seems that the Texans first reaction to everything is to fight (or online, to bicker).
I think you are right about those who bash DFW area. As for the weather, I can't imagine anyone, even the most loyal of loyalist saying anything positive about Dallas weather: it sucks. The winters do nothing except for an occassion snow or ice storm that is pretty (even if it is a ***** to drive in) The spring is ok, nothing like many places, most places in the country and the same with fall. Then we get to summer starting in late April or May and continuing until Oct most years. The heat would be barely bearable if the humidity wasn't 70 to 90% most of the time, day and night.

Other than the weather there just isn't much to say that is negative about Dallas, for some there may not be a lot of positives, but certainly no reason to bash it.

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Having lived in the DFW metro and with a brother living in H-town.....I don't understand why the penis envy exist. They are both important cities to the nation that serves different purposes. There are two things that cause me to dislike Houston over Dallas and neither one of them are important to most, Houston being spread out with terrible traffic and Houston's sports teams.
Beautifully said!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
it's so defensive and honestly this board just reminds me of the dallitude and pretentiousness I felt when I was there to the point I almost don't want to comment anymore or get into it with people who are speaking more on emotion than with facts, or even conversationally....allowing others to have opinions that might differ than theirs.

If you feel the need to "defend" your city as so "major" so badly....it sends across a major inferiority complex...and I find a lot of the posters here a bit irrational. And not to mention the mob mentaility when someone has the nerve to disagree or point to some evidence that is contrary to their very emotional stance...

I am here because I find Dallas very puzzling and interesting after having spent some time there, reading here, and yes, its very very defensive and it adds to what I felt when I was there.

As for the Texas city thing... I wonder if the desire to infight is just a result of Texas Pride...a perversion if you will. Not only is Texas and Texans for that matter better than EVERYONE everywhere and all Texas problems, including bad drivers and rudeness are caused by outsiders....my Texas city is better than your Texas city too.

Texas pride is one thing about Texas that is fun and nice for awhile but really drives me nuts. It's suffocating. There is nothing worse than pride, if people can't take responsibility for the flaws in themselves...and their communities...and just blame it on "outsiders" then what...you just keep building and building and sprawling and nothing ever gets better? Just bigger?

Just keep blaming it on the outsiders....oh, but how cosmoplitan you are of course, because of them.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:30 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,901 times
Compared to much of the South, I don't think Dallas summers are that bad. Certainly prefer them over South Florida summers. And falls are actually quite nice. From about late September until Christmas, it's generally very temperate here. Even the winters aren't that bad; it's not like there are ice storms every day. Some years it barely ices at all. The only season I really don't like is spring because of the severe thunderstorms/potential tornadoes.

No, it's not La Jolla or Maui but, compared to 75% of the US which also deal with their share of snow, rain, humidity, etc. it stacks up fairly well.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
If you feel the need to "defend" your city as so "major" so badly....it sends across a major inferiority complex...and I find a lot of the posters here a bit irrational. And not to mention the mob mentaility when someone has the nerve to disagree or point to some evidence that is contrary to their very emotional stance...
rgb123 from the 'Why are people in Dallas so rude and pretentoous' thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...entious-4.html

" I stopped at a 7-11 and I felt like I almost froze over with all the "coolness" around me ...somehow I KNOW not everyone was in that big of a hurry, but it seemed like the cool thing to do...look at me, I'm gonna brush through this 7-11 and get my drink and get out of here! I'm important!? "

Irrational is an attempt to label the attitude of an entire city from a experience at 7-11.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

I personally don't have a problem with Houston. I do have a problem with Houstonians making false claims that are not true. Dallas had not been responding to these false claims until recently. Houston has a very strong city-data base that adores Houston. I personally think Houston is a great city but I don't care for anyone spreading inaccurate data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas