Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 PM

17 posts, read 65,668 times

Advertisements

Some may say that anything south of I-30 is bad, but to me, Cedar Hill is just anything like the northern suburbs. We have a lake, new mall, cinema, many upscale stores, a downtown, and nice homes!

Here are a few Streetviews to show the disbelievers:
cedar hill uptown village mall - Google Maps
Mall View #1

cedar hill target - Google Maps
Target/Towne Crossing

cedar hill historic downtown - Google Maps
Historic Downtown

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...title&resnum=1
Typical Established Neighborhood

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...title&resnum=1
Newer Neighborhood

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...+ln+cedar+hill
High Pointe Neighborhood (sits on top of hill)

When you click on a link, just click on the point A or B

This is what you may see in the northern suburds, but for half of the money. And if you want to argue about schools, Cedar Hill has a Collegiate High School that had 100% passing on the reading TAKS and 96% passing on math, the only exemplary High School in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 PM

216 posts, read 715,937 times
You are right. Cedar hill has a perception problem from people who have never visited. Mostly snobs and people with biases

My son just started at the collegiate. its pretty involved getting accepted but its worth the trouble

Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Yeah! Another poster from the southern half of the metroplex!!! We need more of you folks to balance out the discussions and recommendations to newcomers.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Cedar Hill definitely isn't a bad city.

Lancaster, Wilmer, and Hutchins, on the other hand...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM

216 posts, read 715,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

dont be myopic just to make a point. there is mansfield,ovilla, red oak, duncanville, midlothian...all desirable communities

wilmer and hutchins have nothing in common with the above communities other than that they are both in the south.

again and again, despite the continued disparaging comments about southern burbs, these communities continue to grow. I have said it a million times, take a drive down south and check it out for yourself

Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 PM

108 posts, read 318,680 times
People too often either forget/don't know that South Dallas County is much nicer than North Dallas in the nature department. It almost has an Austin look in parts.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:45 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,104 times
Cedar Hill does have some beautiful areas. I really hope it's being taken care of.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 PM

17 posts, read 65,668 times
I really do enjoy living in Cedar hill. Though it has changed, for the better and the worse, a lot of people have a misconception about it. Most families that live here are middle-class, and they are the typical suburbaners. They drive Camrys, Accords, and Altimas and take care of their homes. I really do not know any placess to stay away from, and overall, its a great city.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

Lancaster is ten times bigger than either Wilmer or Hutchins and has more in common with DeSoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill than those smaller communities. We have the same types of housing and well-kept, desirable neighborhoods that are found in just about every sizable Dallas-Fort Worth area suburb. The number of nice neighborhoods in the city far outnumber those that may be considered "not as nice" by some. According to the North Central Texas Council of Governments, Lancaster has grown by 40 percent in population since 2000, Cedar Hill by 42 percent, and DeSoto by 29 percent. The smaller communities further south like Glenn Heights, Midlothian, Red Oak, etc. have also grown significantly. You don't have to live north of downtown to have a good quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
dont be myopic just to make a point. there is mansfield,ovilla, red oak, duncanville, midlothian...all desirable communities

wilmer and hutchins have nothing in common with the above communities other than that they are both in the south.

again and again, despite the continued disparaging comments about southern burbs, these communities continue to grow. I have said it a million times, take a drive down south and check it out for yourself
Great comment! I couldn't agree with you more. I'm glad that more and more people from the area are joining this forum who can give an honest, on-the-ground perspective about living in the southern suburbs. It gets a little frustrating to constantly read negative posts about the suburbs south of Dallas, mainly from people who don't even live here. In my time on this forum, I've seen plenty of scare tactics and fear mongering used against places like Cedar Hill, Duncanville, DeSoto, and Lancaster to try and discourage people from moving to the region. A few of the classics are high crime (complete BS; none of these communities are dangerous), schools (there are good campuses in EVERY district), fear of minorities (sadly, this one has come up more than once), and false demographics. When those don't work, childish name-calling and labeling are used (the entire city of Lancaster was once determined to be a "ghetto" by someone based on the appearance of a single gas station; more BS). You rarely see these things being said about other areas in Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:27 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillflan View Post
Some may say that anything south of I-30 is bad, but to me, Cedar Hill is just anything like the northern suburbs. We have a lake, new mall, cinema, many upscale stores, a downtown, and nice homes!

Here are a few Streetviews to show the disbelievers:
cedar hill uptown village mall - Google Maps
Mall View #1

cedar hill target - Google Maps
Target/Towne Crossing

cedar hill historic downtown - Google Maps
Historic Downtown

590 honeysuckle cedar hill - Google Maps
Typical Established Neighborhood

waterford oaks dr, cedar hill, dallas, texas 75104 - Google Maps
Newer Neighborhood

high pointe ln cedar hill - Google Maps
High Pointe Neighborhood (sits on top of hill)

When you click on a link, just click on the point A or B

This is what you may see in the northern suburds, but for half of the money. And if you want to argue about schools, Cedar Hill has a Collegiate High School that had 100% passing on the reading TAKS and 96% passing on math, the only exemplary High School in the region.
A great post and wonderful links. Cedar Hill is THRIVING!

I hope that more photographs of the southern suburbs will be added to this forum in the near future, so the naysayers and burb bashers will see how nice these communities actually are. A picture is worth a thousand words. I've started to do this in Lancaster and it would be great if the idea spread to places like Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Glenn Heights.

Last edited by Acntx; 06-27-2009 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas