Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Yeah, I'm so bitter about not growing up in "West Allen." Preston Hollow was really a rough upbringing.
It was horrifying for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It was horrifying for me.
Eh, I don't like it as much now that the McManses have come in--particularly the one standing over my boyhood home.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Eh, I don't like it as much now that the McManses have come in--particularly the one standing over my boyhood home.
You are right about that. It was nicer in the 1980s before the McMansions took over.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM

34 posts, read 128,703 times
Hahaha...Where this thread is heading to???

Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Who knows. Probably to "West Allen--" which is to say, nowhere.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
The western parts of Allen are not that bad. I live there and do not resemble the image loneranger is portraying. My philosophy is that you can spot a--holes everywhere and within everyone if that's what you're looking for - so don't look

Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Beware of the gangs in west Allen. Its really dangerous there. I hear the meet up at the lowes parking lot to plan their gang activities. The gang members sometimes go over to pei-wei for dinner too. Be careful in Allen.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
The western parts of Allen are not that bad. I live there and do not resemble the image loneranger is portraying. My philosophy is that you can spot a--holes everywhere and within everyone if that's what you're looking for - so don't look
What image am I portraying? I didn't say it was bad at all. I said it was ridiculous to put "Allen" and "looking for a prestigious area" in the same sentence.

Allen is a great place to live. It's out in the sticks, but it's a great community and there are a lot of benefits to living there. But it isn't "prestigious" by Dallas standards. It's middle-to-upper middle class.

Please enlighten me as to where I portrayed it as being "bad" and had a negative image, because I'm pretty confused at this point.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM

30 posts, read 86,187 times
Quote:
What image am I portraying? I didn't say it was bad at all. I said it was ridiculous to put "Allen" and "looking for a prestigious area" in the same sentence.

Allen is a great place to live. It's out in the sticks, but it's a great community and there are a lot of benefits to living there. But it isn't "prestigious" by Dallas standards. It's middle-to-upper middle class.

Please enlighten me as to where I portrayed it as being "bad" and had a negative image, because I'm pretty confused at this point.
If you review the thread, it's clear that you were the one who brought up the prestige factor. Again, we were simply responding to the post and trying to help answer the original poster's questions about the benefits of one side of Allen v. the other.

I am still confused as to why you felt compelled to even respond to the post anyway. You have stated you do not live in Allen; therefore, your opinion probably doesn't carry as much weight in the eyes of the poster. Which side of a city is more 'prestigious' does matter when people simply want to make informed decisions and protect one of their most important investments--their home.

By the way, since when are homes ranging from 1.5-3 Million dollars 'middle class?'

Wimberly Place in Twin Creeks

montgomeryfarm.com - The Meadow

Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide87 View Post
If you review the thread, it's clear that you were the one who brought up the prestige factor. Again, we were simply responding to the post and trying to help answer the original poster's questions about the benefits of one side of Allen v. the other.

I am still confused as to why you felt compelled to even respond to the post anyway. You have stated you do not live in Allen; therefore, your opinion probably doesn't carry as much weight in the eyes of the poster. Which side of a city is more 'prestigious' does matter when people simply want to make informed decisions and protect one of their most important investments--their home.

By the way, since when are homes ranging from 1.5-3 Million dollars 'middle class?'

Wimberly Place in Twin Creeks

montgomeryfarm.com - The Meadow
When comparing west Allen to east Allen, west Allen is clearly the more prestigious side but Allen overall is not a prestigious place to live. That does not mean it is not a nice place to live but it does not carry the prestige of Highland Park, Preston Hollow, the nicest parts of Lakewood, or even a suburb like Coppell or the western half of Plano. Loneranger is right; Allen and overall prestige do not really go hand in hand.

Personally I think east Allen is the Mesquite of the future. No offense to people who live in Mesquite but it is not exactly the most sought-after suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas