Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM

56 posts, read 179,591 times

Advertisements

My wife and I spent the past 6-8 months researching the Dallas area, with a fair amount of time spent on this forum reading as much as we could and hoping to get any bit of information possible. Now that we have settled into our new neighborhood, I thought it would be helpful to summarize (maybe not as briefly as some would like) our decision process to others out there that may still be in the research phase like we were.

Some background info and perspective:
- Although we did consider it (briefly), living in the suburbs was not an option
- We are in our early 30s, no kids
- We both love architecture (type of house matters)
- Elementary schools (public) are important because we plan on having a baby next year
- We moved from the East coast, but both lived in Texas prior, and West coast prior to that
- We are both very open minded, and wanted to avoid any areas that weren't diverse in every sense of the word (not just demographics)
- Commute to work had to be less than 30 minutes
- We preferred older neighborhoods with character and mature trees
- Our budget was <$500K, with preference closer to $400K
- Ideal home size was 2000-2500 sq ft
- Being able to walk to something (park, restaurants, shopping) was a big plus

Since everyone's preferences are vastly different, the above info is provided purely as perspective.

We decided to rent for the first 6 months in Dallas. This was probably one of the best decisions we made, in spite of how inconvenient and uncomfortable it was during that time. It allowed us to really take our time looking locally (we did a couple of house hunting trips prior to moving), which really takes the pressure off. This also allowed us to spend most weekends driving the neighborhoods we were interested in, and really getting a feel for how safe they were both during the day and night. We spent a considerable amount of time at open houses, the people you meet during those visits (not just the realtors) can provide a great deal of information on the neighborhoods, and give you an idea of how "friendly" a neighborhood is.

After some time, we quickly narrowed our choices to two specific areas: The Kessler Park area, and the Lakewood Area. Each of these areas, are in our opinion some of the best neighborhoods Dallas has to offer. Here are the Pros/Cons of each area from the eyes of new Dallasites (taking background info provided earlier into consideration).

Kessler Park/Stevens Park:
PROS
- Could very well be the prettiest area in Dallas proper
- Reminded us of certain areas in California
- Architecturally diverse / No two homes were alike
- Really felt like a neighborhood made up of diverse individuals
- Lots of trees and older neighborhoods
CONS
- Convenience was a big negative (proximity to grocery stores, walkability, etc..)
- Although Bishop Arts District was wonderful, it's really the only area close by
- Elementary school choices were limited. Rosemont is a great little school, but lacked the diversity
- Area had a feeling of being "cut-off"

Lakewood/M-Streets/Lakewood Heights/Wilshire Heights:
PROS
- Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementary. After visiting both, we felt Stonewall Jackson was a bit more diverse
- Proximity to Grocery Stores (at least 6 within 1 mile), Shopping, Restaurants, and to practically anything else you’d want to do in Dallas (within 5 miles)
- Great walkability with White Rock Lake, Greenville Ave Restaurants, Lakewood Theater Area
- Great Family feel (lots of young families with kids)
- Lots of trees and older neighborhoods
- Less chain-like restaurants and shops, and more “neighborhood” restaurants
CONS
- Although the schools are, some of the neighborhoods are not as diverse (opinion based on demographics only)
- Some areas being overrun by McMansions, which may lead to character erosion
- Neighborhood has a bit of a “chopped up” feel

Ultimately we decided on the Lakewood area, which we felt offered us more of what we were looking for at this stage of our life. Specifically, we bought in the Lakewood Heights area since we liked the idea of being centrally located within Lakewood, close enough to walk to restaurants, parks, etc... but far enough away to hear the birds chirping in our backyard.

Hopefully this feedback will benefit others that are in the stage we were in prior to committing to an area, and may be considering similar moves. We couldn’t be happier with our decision, and look forward to raising a family in this great part of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Thank you for this thought process!
I'm sure it will help many people looking to relocate.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
you certainly did do your homework. It is very important to research as much as possible when relocating. Of course you can over-do it as well.

Nita

Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Wow after reading the first part of your post I knew that Kessler Park and Lakewood would be at the top of of your list. I agree with just about everything you posted for both the pros and cons. Sounds to me you picked a perfect place to put down roots. Welcome to the area.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Sounds like a winner.

Sounds like you have taken everything to heed and actually listened to others and your hearts and will be happy for a long time in your new home.

I'm envious of you......... your so close to Matt's.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Thanks for the details - some of this stuff is very hard to explain to the newbies and we oldtimers sometimes have a hard time being objective

Speaking of walking to places, my Lakewood Heights friends usually walk the back way down Alderson to Prospect to delights such as times ten cellars - Dallas, Texas Winery - Wine Tasting Bar

Barb and Mel are the Lakewood Heights Neighborhood organizers - Barb was a couple of years behind me at 'the shrine'.

Also be sure to go to Lakewood Parade on Saturday - I'll be at the kegs at the end of the line!

p.s. to mom - had my relleno at Matt's yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas