Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM

58 posts, read 284,431 times

Advertisements

We have this pest problem in our townhouse for the last 4-5 weeks. Our apartment management had the unit treated twice already but no change... First of all we are not sure what those are. They suck blood from our legs and arms but they are not fleas or mosquitos. They are very small, you can barely see them and only if you concentrate enough. They tend to come from the carpet although they bite on the sofa and beds too. We also saw them around the windows. Even the pest control lady could not be sure what they are. She said gnats but I searched the internet and I am not convinced.

What bothers me is that the apartment management does not care. It is as if they only deal with ants and fleas and the rest is up to you. We have talked to them a few times after the treatments. Whatever the pesticide they are applying, it does not work, we are getting bitten everyday. My 2-year-old child and wife are very sensitive, they get big bite marks and itch rigourously.

The pest control company says they have free inspection on their website but the management does not even bother. We requested a different perst person, not accepted. We called the pest control company but they said they only work with the apartment management.

I am thinking of calling a different pest company or even break the lease and move out. What rights do I have? I don't want to pay rent to get bites everyday. Is there any legal options or governmental office that can give me alternatives on this subject? Since the bugs suck blood, they might be spreading disease, especially with the child. Do I need a certificate from our doctor or get sick, what should I do?
We lived in several apartments before, this is first time with such a problem. It started after we moved in here about 6 weeks ago. The complex is next to a golf course but our unit is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

217 posts, read 1,041,426 times
The exterminator is probably not giving you adequate coverage. They have a contract with the apartment company because they were the lowest bidder, not because they are the best at what they do. The first thing I would do is to go to the apartment office and talk to the manager in person. Express your concern and see if he/she is able to resolve the problem.

If the apartment can't or won't just go to Lowes and get some pesticide and a sprayer and take care of it yourself. Be thorough and be ready to air out your apartment after spraying. Make sure you get along all of the baseboards and windows. You could also use a bug bomb but I find those to be less effective.

I don't know the answer to your questions about breaking your lease but I can tell you that renter rights in Texas suck. It's probably not a good option.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

108 posts, read 485,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommatidia View Post
We have this pest problem in our townhouse for the last 4-5 weeks. Our apartment management had the unit treated twice already but no change... First of all we are not sure what those are. They suck blood from our legs and arms but they are not fleas or mosquitos. They are very small, you can barely see them and only if you concentrate enough. They tend to come from the carpet although they bite on the sofa and beds too. We also saw them around the windows. Even the pest control lady could not be sure what they are. She said gnats but I searched the internet and I am not convinced.

What bothers me is that the apartment management does not care. It is as if they only deal with ants and fleas and the rest is up to you. We have talked to them a few times after the treatments. Whatever the pesticide they are applying, it does not work, we are getting bitten everyday. My 2-year-old child and wife are very sensitive, they get big bite marks and itch rigourously.

The pest control company says they have free inspection on their website but the management does not even bother. We requested a different perst person, not accepted. We called the pest control company but they said they only work with the apartment management.

I am thinking of calling a different pest company or even break the lease and move out. What rights do I have? I don't want to pay rent to get bites everyday. Is there any legal options or governmental office that can give me alternatives on this subject? Since the bugs suck blood, they might be spreading disease, especially with the child. Do I need a certificate from our doctor or get sick, what should I do?
We lived in several apartments before, this is first time with such a problem. It started after we moved in here about 6 weeks ago. The complex is next to a golf course but our unit is not.
Wow! You are in a tough situation. I would only suggest for you to break your lease if you are going to pay the fees. I have three kids myself and their health & safety is important to me. I am thinking that the tenant before you left those bugs. If I were in the this situation, I would break my lease & pay the fees. In your lease contract, what are the fee(s) if you do decide to break the lease??

Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,688,878 times
Even if the person moves out of the apartment they could very well be the ones TRANSPORTING the pests. They are not going to get rid of the bugs by simply moving as they will pack them up and take them with them. If any of their belongings had been in storage or whatever it is possible the pests/bugs came from there and they moved them into the apartment with them. I'd ask other neighbors if they have been having problems w/ such bugs and if it was BEFORE you moved in. If it has been since you moved in and no one else in the same building has moved in since you did........ your the host. Even if you have recently traveled you could have brought them back with you. People unknowingly transport things like bedbugs with them in their luggage. To me if it is not fleas, ticks or mosquitos I'd say it is bedbugs.

Best thing to do is try to find out if the entire building is being infested and see about getting the entire building treated on the same day. At the same time you need to wash everything. Clean house like a freak and make sure everything is washed. Bag up stuffed animals in plastic trash bags and put them in a garage or closet for at least 2 weeks. Make sure to TIE THE TRASH BAG UP!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,443,176 times
My guess is bedbugs too, but you really need to ID the critter so you'll know exactly what to do.
Remember, not too long ago, NYC had a problem with bedbugs - even in nice places.

Bedbug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 PM

83 posts, read 210,175 times
I was going to say if they were cockroaches you could mix some icing sugar (powder) with boric acid (powder). They will come and eat the sugar, get the boric acid on them, and then take it back to their nest where they dry out. They will disappear very quickly.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM

15 posts, read 35,125 times
The insects sound like bed-bugs or chiggers. If you don't want to break your lease and you will not get in trouble for taking on the extermination. Go to Home Depot/Lowes. Get a mid-range fogger, cover your dishes and make sure pilot lights are off. Cost $6.00. After you fog, pick up the liquid version of INDOOR Ortho-Max (Home Depot or Lowes). It dries quickly and kills both varieties of insects on contact. It also creates a barrier for 6 months. Cost $18 .. I'm sure this will take care of the problem. If you're still concerned, you can also purchase plastic mattress covers that zip completely around your box spring and mattress. Also wrap your luggage in tight plastic bags. Leave these on for a few months and generally bed bugs will die of starvation. Cost $18 but much less expensive than buy a new mattress set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas