Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 30,758 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about 3 homes/schools/areas:
a.) Corner of Vanderbilt and Abrams (Lakewood elementary)
b.) Ridgedale AVE, 5 homes in from 75) (Stonewall Jackson)
c.) Peninsula DR near N Buckner Blvd in Lake Highlands (East of lake, Hexter Elementary)

Concerns:
property a - Traffic on Abrams
property b - Densely urban, not sure about crime in area, proximity to 75?
property c - Don't know much about this part of Lake Highlands. What's the crime situation? Via Google maps it still looks somewhat "undiscovered" - bungalow style homes on very leafy streets.

Finally, how does Hexter compare to Lakewood and S. Jackson? It seems quite comparable via web our research.
(My wife is also a bit worried about too much emphasis on testing at Lakewood-something she read about in a few Google Map reviews).

THANKS!!!!
Getting very excited about the move (assuming we have a place to sleep).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I'm going to say Vanderbilt for the whole Lakewood family thing and it's just a few blocks from school - traffic is a minus but you know that - BUT you are going to be equidistant from shopping in Lakewood Shopping Center and Hillside (Mockingbird at Abrams) and you will be able to go directly east to the lake and school with no traffic lights and no major streets. I have not been in that house but it looks like a good example of the really solid homes built throughout there..

BTW, Hexter is exemplary for the second year I believe - Tim Rogers, D Magazine editor, has his kids there. Only problem with that is that currently a lot of folks don't like Hill Middle School and Bryan Adams HS. However, BA has improved quite a bit over the last two years - the principal (a TJ alum) is being promoted to an area director - she was principal of the year this year.

If you stay in Lakewood and go to Lakewood or Stonewall there's a good chance your kids will go all through school together and remain friends for life. Also the IB program is being rolled out and should be in J. L. Long (IB MYP) in two more years and then into Lakewood (IB EYP) in four. Stonewall will also probably get it and the third elementary is up for grabs as of now.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Pensinsula neighborhood is really cool. DH and I looked at homes there a few years ago and really liked them. Cute houses, but make sure you get one that has been updated!

Bryan Adams HS SUCKS. It wasn't much better when my Dad went there (class of 65). I would not send a child to that HS. Maybe in a few years it will get better, but as long as it still pulls students form Casa View, that's not likely. Casa View was decent when Dad was a kid, but it has gotten downright scary the last few years...we moved my grandmother out of the neighborhood in 2002.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:30 PM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irag View Post
We're thinking about 3 homes/schools/areas:
a.) Corner of Vanderbilt and Abrams (Lakewood elementary)
b.) Ridgedale AVE, 5 homes in from 75) (Stonewall Jackson)
c.) Peninsula DR near N Buckner Blvd in Lake Highlands (East of lake, Hexter Elementary)

Concerns:
property a - Traffic on Abrams
property b - Densely urban, not sure about crime in area, proximity to 75?
property c - Don't know much about this part of Lake Highlands. What's the crime situation? Via Google maps it still looks somewhat "undiscovered" - bungalow style homes on very leafy streets.

Finally, how does Hexter compare to Lakewood and S. Jackson? It seems quite comparable via web our research.
(My wife is also a bit worried about too much emphasis on testing at Lakewood-something she read about in a few Google Map reviews).

THANKS!!!!
Getting very excited about the move (assuming we have a place to sleep).
Ridgedale is a nice street. My parents first home in the M streets was on Ridgedale. Crime wasn't bad when they were there and I believe the street is actually nicer now.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Advantage to Ridgedale location is that if you must get on Central you will shave at least five minutes off the Vanderbilt location. And you can walk to the shops/restaurants/pubs on Henderson

Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 PM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Pensinsula neighborhood is really cool. DH and I looked at homes there a few years ago and really liked them. Cute houses, but make sure you get one that has been updated!

Bryan Adams HS SUCKS. It wasn't much better when my Dad went there (class of 65). I would not send a child to that HS. Maybe in a few years it will get better, but as long as it still pulls students form Casa View, that's not likely. Casa View was decent when Dad was a kid, but it has gotten downright scary the last few years...we moved my grandmother out of the neighborhood in 2002.
We were actually looking at homes in the Little Forest Hills area. Is this considered Casa View? It reminds us of where we lived in Austin, which was the Crestview neighborhood.Same type of area, old homes that have been maintained and updated, McMansions and just some old junk.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
No, but be advised that they both feed into Bryan Adams HS. DH and I lived in Little Forest Hills for 6 years.

Casa View is the area off Easton, Gus Thomasson and Ferguson that surrounds the old Casa View Shopping Center. Litttle, mostly frame homes with a few neighborhoods of nicer brick homes. It was built in the 1940s and 1950s.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
The Ridgedale home -
the one thing I would worry about here is if this street is a cut-through. I doubt it is since Monticello is and has road humps to slow down traffic.
You can walk across I-75 at Monticello - some retail (Sunshine Flowers has flower happy hour after 4pm for half off) and restaurants. Just based on location, this would be my number one.

Hexter Elem is an excellent school. Since you will be renting for now - you may not need to worry about middle and high school so immediately. Hexter puts on the White Rock Home Tour as a fundraiser for their school. Erykah Badu lives in the Peninsula neighborhood overlooking White Rock Lake.

As for the house on Vanderbilt - although great location, great school. Abrams is just too busy. I would worry about my small kids walking out the front door and stuff like that.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,010 times
Only Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementary are good schools. So unless you want to send your kids to private school, I would look at the other two houses.

Among those 3, I would choose the house on Ridgedale, personally, since you are not on a busy street and you have a good elementary school.

Not to make your decision harder, but there are a ton of houses for rent right now in the M Streets if you just drive around.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
Not to make your decision harder, but there are a ton of houses for rent right now in the M Streets if you just drive around.
I think the OP is having to make this decision long distance. Therefore, the need for feedback from C-D posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: