Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
wow... this has been exactly the opposite of my experience with Dallas... lots of plastic and bleached hair/make-up, etc...
Depends on where you go. I see more of the "earthy types" than the Barbies but I do not like the types of places where Barbies tend to gather.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 PM

346 posts, read 730,627 times
BigDGeek, I think I'll need to go to your type of hang outs when I get there.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
BigDGeek, I think I'll need to go to your type of hang outs when I get there.
No problem; my friends and I go to places like the San Francisco Rose, Elbow Room, Lee Harvey's, Angry Dog, Pour House, and when it was still open, The Tipperary. Our main hangout is probably the Rose.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Several people have already mentioned it but it just comes down to actually caring how you look and dressing for the occassion. You don't need short micro skirts and high heels to run to the store. Shorts, halter, tank top, nice CLEAN shoes, hair combed/brushed/done and whatever amount of makeup YOU NEED to look NATURAL and put together. Heavy makeup is few and far between. Some women and girls get into the heavy eye makeup but not THAT many. The "big hair" thing has been gone for a LONG TIME! That is now in New Jersey (a la Theresa from RHNJ). You do see the granola types. Saw one at the store the other day w/ the long hair in a braid, earth shoes, mom shorts (high waistband and down to her knees), large faded t-shirt (she was skinny) and the unibrow and she was not a day over 30. She had a man but he was as "earthy" as her. This female as my husband said made a good friend of ours that is not "into fashion" at all look like a super model. LOL!!! Bad, I know. But there are ALL TYPES here. You will see EVERYTHING! Remember, most of the people that live here are not from here so they bring something different to the table. I think some of the women have brought in more of the high maintenance issues moreso than what we used to have here even though looking "put together" has always been a part of the culture. Even the people running to the store after leaving the gym look "put together" even though they are in their workout clothes (all matching of course).

I also know several people that are not super thin or thin by any means. But they look GOOD! They may not be skinny or whatever but even though they are larger they are still taking care of themselves by doing hair, makeup (females of course) and wearing the appropriate clothes for the occassion. They haven't gone the mumu look or frumpy and so it does make a difference in how one projects themselves.

BTW, if someone saw some people that were obese at the gym......... GOOD FOR THEM!!!! At least they care and know they need to get into shape. Do they not belong in a gym and deserve a chance to get into shape as well.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM

158 posts, read 659,408 times
That stereotype has been around for 20 plus years. I heard it when visiting NYC in the 80's when I was much younger. Didn't that get started when Mick Jagger started dating the model from Texas, Jerry Hall? Many women do it to stay in their chosen social circle because that is the expectation. They will spend lots of time and money on the look which right now includes tiny camis and heels even when they are freezing in the A/C or stumbling over rocks at the lake. They do look great, but not always practical, IMHO. Not all guys require a "high maintenance" woman. I think the women often look better than the guys around here.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
BTW, if someone saw some people that were obese at the gym......... GOOD FOR THEM!!!! At least they care and know they need to get into shape. Do they not belong in a gym and deserve a chance to get into shape as well.
Agreed! When I used to be obese it was a welcome relief when I went to the gym and people did not stare at me or point. When I go now and see obese people working out there I think "Good for you!" and I never stare. To me anyone who can follow the simple rules of gym membership (mostly common courtesy) is more than welcome at my gym!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:

THANK YOU!!! I tipped the scales at nearly 345 lbs earlier this year (I just really let myself go during the holidays, LOL), and I finally said, "ENOUGH!" Found a gym, cut out the sugar and bad carbs and I've lost about 50 lbs so far. I have about another 100 lbs I want to lose, so I'm still a bit on the chunky side, but at least I'm doing something about it!

Back on topic, I don't mind if women want to take care of themselves and look good doing it. I lived in Tampa for a few years. Let's just say there is a such thing as wearing TOO much makeup, LOL.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
THANK YOU!!! I tipped the scales at nearly 345 lbs earlier this year (I just really let myself go during the holidays, LOL), and I finally said, "ENOUGH!" Found a gym, cut out the sugar and bad carbs and I've lost about 50 lbs so far. I have about another 100 lbs I want to lose, so I'm still a bit on the chunky side, but at least I'm doing something about it!

Back on topic, I don't mind if women want to take care of themselves and look good doing it. I lived in Tampa for a few years. Let's just say there is a such thing as wearing TOO much makeup, LOL.
Isn't that the point of going to a gym, you know, with EXERCISE equipment, to get into shape? I swear I cannot STAND the types who go to a gym purely for social reasons, they hog up the machines while you are waiting and they're blabbing on and on about some stupid topic at hand while you could be actually, you know, USING the machine! I'm glad I see overweight people at the gym, because they're trying to get in shape. Alot of skinny guys go to to bulk up as well.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agreed! When I used to be obese it was a welcome relief when I went to the gym and people did not stare at me or point. When I go now and see obese people working out there I think "Good for you!" and I never stare. To me anyone who can follow the simple rules of gym membership (mostly common courtesy) is more than welcome at my gym!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
BigDGeek & Grindin: GREAT JOB!!!! Keep it up.

I can't stand the people that think a gym is for people that are ALREADY "fit". Those are the people you want to just slap up side the head and tell them you hope they never get "out of shape" and want to go to the "fit" gym and have to deal w/ people like themselves.

I used to have a friend a long time ago that would laugh everytime she saw a heavy person out walking. My response, at least they are doing something about it. These same people that make fun of anyone that is not as fit as they think people should be are the same people that can't believe the people that sit at home and let themselves go and not do something..... yet, when these people DO go out to do something about it they laugh at them. Hmm, which one has the security issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Isn't that the point of going to a gym, you know, with EXERCISE equipment, to get into shape? I swear I cannot STAND the types who go to a gym purely for social reasons, they hog up the machines while you are waiting and they're blabbing on and on about some stupid topic at hand while you could be actually, you know, USING the machine! I'm glad I see overweight people at the gym, because they're trying to get in shape. Alot of skinny guys go to to bulk up as well.

LOL!!! True, so true. I'm also glad that gyms for the most part don't allow the thongs and practically stripper wear. We go to LifeTime Fitness in Garland and you see all kinds. I've seen people over the years start out a workout program and lose a lot of weight they needed to and now look GREAT! That is what a gym is for. If your there just to "look good on the equipment"............. go home. Oh, the other ones that crack me up are the guys that come in a small group and try to "show off". They go up to the weight machines and put it on the heaviest possible and do something like all of 2 reps and slam it each time with a huge HUFF and think they are all macho. You can tell they were wanting to get attention so I just make sure I'm always looking the other way or have my eyes closed.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
...put it on the heaviest possible and do something like all of 2 reps...

Although if you are really looking to bulk up this is pretty much what you do - very heavy with few reps. I do know what you mean though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas