Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,520 times

Advertisements

We are looking to re-locate our family to the Dallas area in a couple months. We are moving from the Chicago area, but actually prefer the Phoenix area.

We are looking for a neighborhood in the Dallas area that may have some local hiking trails, and would be a decent commute to Grand Prairie (360 & NE Green Oaks Blvd/WN Carrier Pkwy).

Our price range would be 250k or less, and looking to have a 3bd/2ba home with a 2 car garage and pool.

Our daughter is only 2, so schools aren't an immediate thought as I'm not certain we'd stay in Dallas for the next 3 years, but obviously would want to live in a nice family-friendly area.

Any insight on neighborhoods would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
How come you don't just move to Phoenix? Skip the Dallas stop.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Check the White Rock Lake area, Lakewood and north. White Rock is a major hiking/biking/blading scene and paved trails extend north beyond I-635. Not sure about actual wilderness trails, you might have to go to Arkansas for that.

Lakewooder might have some good input for you.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
How can u compare Dallas to Phoenix? Dallas is a thriving, almost recession-proof city that offers more than Phoenix ever can. It's hot as blazes from June thru August but does not have the crime, gang, and illegal alien issues that Phoenix ( which is basically nothing more than as asphalt jungle in the middle of an unforgiving desert and will probably run out of water in the next 20 years or so) is so infamous for. Thing is, after living in Dallas for a couple of years, your admiration for Phoenix will hopefully wane, for the sake of your family & your 2 yr old daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2tx? View Post
We are looking to re-locate our family to the Dallas area in a couple months. We are moving from the Chicago area, but actually prefer the Phoenix area.

We are looking for a neighborhood in the Dallas area that may have some local hiking trails, and would be a decent commute to Grand Prairie (360 & NE Green Oaks Blvd/WN Carrier Pkwy).

Our price range would be 250k or less, and looking to have a 3bd/2ba home with a 2 car garage and pool.

Our daughter is only 2, so schools aren't an immediate thought as I'm not certain we'd stay in Dallas for the next 3 years, but obviously would want to live in a nice family-friendly area.

Any insight on neighborhoods would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:54 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Check the White Rock Lake area, Lakewood and north. White Rock is a major hiking/biking/blading scene and paved trails extend north beyond I-635. Not sure about actual wilderness trails, you might have to go to Arkansas for that.

Lakewooder might have some good input for you.
Ya I agree. Lakewood and Lake Highlands would fit the OP's needs well. They are both really nice, safe, and family-oriented. The commute to Grand Praire would be decent. There is a lot of walking trails in the area and the schools are very good. For that price range, one could get a nice house. The houses are generally older, but a lot of people like that. The area itself is very much established and the people are great. Lots of families with kids playing outside together, so there is a lot of neighbors interacting with each other, which is very good.

Too bad you were not here today to check out the area...you could have gone to the annual Lakewood 4th of July Parade. It is always very nice and it would have been a great opportunity to check out the area and the people as many people attend the Parade. If you do decide to check out the area, I highly recommend eating at Matt's Rancho Martinez. Great food(Bob Armstrong dip is a must!), good atmosphere, and they also have patio dining, which is very popular during the spring and summer months.

Last edited by $DFW8$; 07-04-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 62,524 times
My husband works in Grand Prairie and we decided to purchase a home about 20 minutes north in Grapevine. I see that someone mentioned the White Rock Lake area, but I think that would give you a frustrating, long commute time, and I believe that a home in the $250,000 price range could put you in a "not so good" area with questionable schools (however, I would bow to the opinion of someone who lives in that area). Grapevine has some lovely walking trails, especially around Parr Park and Lake Grapevine. Grapevine has a historic downtown area that is quite nice and the city offers numerous family events throughout the year, including an Easter egg hunt, Grapefest, and the yearly visit from Thomas the Train. The downtown area also has the vintage Tarantula Train which you can ride to Ft. Worth on the old Cotton Belt line. I have noticed that the city's recreation department offers a good assortment of activities for both children and adults. There is also a very nice library (best in the area) that offers a children's program. The school system is excellent, and both Grapevine Sr. High and Colleyville Heritage High have ranked in the top 100 high schools in the nation, meaning that the elementary schools are excellent too.

You can find a nice 3/2 home in a desirable area within your budget. There really aren't many areas in Grapevine that are undesirable, although I might stay away from the north side off of Northwest Hwy because the schools are not quite as good as the areas around Hall-Johnson, Glade Rd., or Colleyville Blvd. If you think you may be here for a good while, then choose a home that is not in the Grapevine Middle School area (that is the worst middle school). Colleyville is right next door and is part of the same school system, but homes and property taxes are higher, although there are some areas that would probably work for you.

Areas that I would stay away from are Arlington (traffic, taxes, crime) Grand Prairie and Irving (just not nice areas), and Southlake (snobs, pricey mansions, and super high taxes).

Other places to consider are:
Mansfield - which, I think, is about the same commute time.

Flower Mound, which has a lot of new growth that is well planned, reasonably priced homes, good schools, but will probably give you about a 35 minute commute time.

Keller, which also has new growth, good schools and reasonably priced home, but again adds to the commute time.

My choice would be Grapevine or Flower Mound, followed by Keller. I hope this information helps.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,520 times
Thanks so much for all your input!

Why is Arlington an area to stay away from? That is actually one area we were focusing on.

And I would definitely go straight to Phoenix if we could, but for now we are following my husband's job opportunities. ;-) I love the heat, and I love that I can hike several different summit trails on a daily basis. Also, I love the southwestern style homes and desert landscaping.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2tx? View Post
Thanks so much for all your input!

Why is Arlington an area to stay away from? That is actually one area we were focusing on.

And I would definitely go straight to Phoenix if we could, but for now we are following my husband's job opportunities. ;-) I love the heat, and I love that I can hike several different summit trails on a daily basis. Also, I love the southwestern style homes and desert landscaping.
Arlington is not an area to stay away from at all. It is a very nice city with good and bad areas(just like any other city). I know a lot of people in Arlington and they love it. Very close to amusement parks, as well as Fort Worth and Dallas. There is a lot of construction right now, so traffic on the major highways and side streets is pretty bad. The schools are very good and there is both new and older houses.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:15 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
Arlington is not an area to stay away from at all. It is a very nice city with good and bad areas(just like any other city). I know a lot of people in Arlington and they love it. Very close to amusement parks, as well as Fort Worth and Dallas. There is a lot of construction right now, so traffic on the major highways and side streets is pretty bad. The schools are very good and there is both new and older houses.
Arlington has a population of over 350k and is one of the fifty largest cities in the USA on it's own. It has more people than St. Louis, Cincinnati, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh do, and is just below Tulsa, Minneapolis, and Honolulu.

Any city of that size is going to have some very, very nice areas and also some not-so-nice areas.

The Lakewood/Lake Highlands suggestions are good areas but a bit far of a commute for you, and your price range would put you in the smallest houses in the areas. I think that most of Arlington would, economically and commute wise, be a better fit.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Arlington has a population of over 350k and is one of the fifty largest cities in the USA on it's own. It has more people than St. Louis, Cincinnati, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh do, and is just below Tulsa, Minneapolis, and Honolulu.

Any city of that size is going to have some very, very nice areas and also some not-so-nice areas.

The Lakewood/Lake Highlands suggestions are good areas but a bit far of a commute for you, and your price range would put you in the smallest houses in the areas. I think that most of Arlington would, economically and commute wise, be a better fit.
Ya many people consider Arlington to be a suburb, but to me, it is more of a city in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas