Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times

Advertisements

Moving from West Palm Beach to Dallas is goign to be a huge change. Your goign to think the housing here is so cheap compared to what your used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 AM

273 posts, read 700,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Paying that much money to live by yourself for a short period of time makes no sense (unless there's plenty of money available to toss around). I really don't think the firm will care, and if they did, I would question wanting to work for someone who takes micro-management to a new level.

$1,500.00 is not a lot of money to live by yourself. Try finding a nice two bedroom apartment in the Uptown area for round $800.00 and next year “IF” you do then let us know. I lived by myself down in the uptown area and my rent was $1,200 a month in a nice apartment. I am sure you could find a dive in some small areas for $800.00.

I suggested a house from experience, because if you already have a house full of furniture and you rent an apartment you will have to also rent a storage unit to hold everything that doesn’t fit in the apartment. Why not just rent a house and move everything in for a year where you have the extra room and a 2 car garage and save the storage fees and all the hassle.

If you are making $300,000 a year $1,500 a month for rent is very affordable for a nice good sized house in good condition. Renting the house also gives you the flexibility to move after a year when the lease is up to another area if you so desire. Many of the homes in the area I am referring to were built on concrete slabs in the early to mid 80’s so they are very nice well built homes.

And yes the “Bush” is a toll road, but we are splitting hairs here because it is still a freeway in the sense it’s a transportation corridor.

I like the DART rail there at Campbell at Central in the huge business park that would allow him to catch the train to downtown if he wanted to avoid any delays and the DART Train stops all over the downtown area and easy to access.

Last edited by W James III; 07-07-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
$1,500.00 is not a lot of money to live by yourself. Try finding a nice two bedroom apartment in the Uptown area for round $800.00 and next year “IF” you do then let us know. I lived by myself down in the uptown area and my rent was $1,200 a month in a nice apartment. I am sure you could find a dive in some small areas for $800.00.

I suggested a house from experience, because if you already have a house full of furniture and you rent an apartment you will have to also rent a storage unit to hold everything that doesn’t fit in the apartment. Why not just rent a house and move everything in for a year where you have the extra room and a 2 car garage and save the storage fees and all the hassle.

If you are making $300,000 a year $1,500 a month for rent is very affordable for a nice good sized house in good condition. Renting the house also gives you the flexibility to move after a year when the lease is up to another area if you so desire. Many of the homes in the area I am referring to were built on concrete slabs in the early to mid 80’s so they are very nice well built homes.
Good point.

Quote:
And yes the “Bush” is a toll road, but we are splitting hairs here because it is still a freeway in the sense it’s a transportation corridor.

I like the DART rail there at Campbell at Central in the huge business park that would allow him to catch the train to downtown if he wanted to avoid any delays and the DART Train stops all over the downtown area and easy to access.
I don't think it's hair-splitting. A freeway is a limited-access highway that doesn't charge a toll. The Bush turnpike, Interstate 35E, US Highway 75, and TX State Highway 360 are all limited-access highways, but the Bush Turnpike is not a freeway.

In Houston, people refer to the Southwest Freeway (US 59), the Gulf Freeway (I-45), and Beltway 8 (not a freeway). However, all three have "feeder streets" (not a term I've heard elsewhere, normally called a frontage road).

Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 19,352 times
As I have no mortgage here (I've been in the house 25 years and paid it off) I'm not forced to sell fast. Considering the market it may be a little while or a long one. I'd like to take a 3-6 month lease and move with little or no furniture. Once my home in WPB is sold I'd then buy in the Dallas area and move my furniture.

I don't really want to be in suburbia as I want to meet people, so a good sized, friendly complex with 30-60 year old professionals would be ideal.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Good point.

I don't think it's hair-splitting. A freeway is a limited-access highway that doesn't charge a toll. The Bush turnpike, Interstate 35E, US Highway 75, and TX State Highway 360 are all limited-access highways, but the Bush Turnpike is not a freeway.

In Houston, people refer to the Southwest Freeway (US 59), the Gulf Freeway (I-45), and Beltway 8 (not a freeway). However, all three have "feeder streets" (not a term I've heard elsewhere, normally called a frontage road).
"Feeder road" and "Service road" are very common terms here. Most locals don't call it a frontage road, even though that's what the highway signs say.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM

273 posts, read 700,387 times
That gives us more information to work with, however for me I lived in the Uptown area in an apartment and loved the neighborhood with all the restaurants, shops and the mix of people there. The drawback is it is away from 635 at 75 where you will work but like someone else mentioned you would be going against the flow of rush hour (is there is such an advantage as traffic is bad at all times)

There a many apartments around where you will be working but I personally liked the uptown area because everything was in walking distance and often I would walk down the street to a restaurant or walk a few blocks to a club etc, and never had to really drive unless I was going somewhere out of the neighborhood. I wouldn’t think you would be able to find this community atmosphere or the flexibility in a single apartment community. The Village has been mentioned but I always thought that was a much younger crowd, where as the Uptown area is more professional and in your income bracket.

I also think the shortest lease term available for apartments is often one year, you might find places that do a six month lease but it’s much more costly per month because the cost to turn a unit and get it all fixed up again to rent.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I don't think The Village Apartments, M-Streets, Mockingbird Station area/SMU area, Knox - Henderson or even Uptown would be a bad commute - maybe just around 15 minutes. Knox-Henderson has more walkablility - you might want to check the apartment complexes on both sides of Central Expressway (75) Henderson is sort of the 'younger' side. You could find a place on McKinney or Cole and easily walk a block or so to Starbucks and many other restaurants and shops. Check out this place: The Travis at Knox Condos in Dallas, TX | Travis Condos some of the units are also for sale: The Travis at Katy Trail | Stunning on Every Level

Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 AM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
There is a very nice apartment complex located right near Medical Center City hospital. It is tucked away in the area and I am sure they have alot of nurses and residents who live there. It is pretty much on the corner of 635 & 75. You can't see it from either because it tucked away so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas