Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 AM

445 posts, read 1,804,303 times

Advertisements

We are visitng Dallas in a few weeks and are considering a move there.....for a better QUALITY of life.

I know commute is a big discussion on the forum, but NOT considering that, just considering schools(most important), great neighborhoods, young community, with no "keepin' up with the Jonese menatlity"..but in my price range, under $400k...WHERE WOULD THAT BE??

I am not looking for museums or diversity, culture and all that, we are a married couple in our mid 30's with 3 little kids under 6..We like to be outside, swimming or hanging out with our kids.

Any input would be great...Can't wait to visit....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,695,785 times
Well........... I personally am partial to Garland and Rockwall
Murphy and Parker are also at the top of my list. Those are my personal top 4 suburbs. If I were to go inside the city limits of Dallas I LOOOOOVE Lakewood, Preston Hollow and a few other small areas near those two. Lake Highlands is also up there. All are great family areas.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,344,383 times
Check out Southlake, to the west of Dallas.

No matter what suburb you look at in any city, there will always be those with a "keepin' up with the Jones' mentality".

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
In your price range I certainly would be looking west or no/west. Try areas like Grapevine, Coppell, Flower Mound, maybe southlake (but is is a little more upscale) and Keller for starters. All of these areas are middle class, good schools and have lots of family activities. Another possibility might be Lewisville. Lewisville is the 11th fastest growning city in the country with a population over 100,000. Of course it might be larger than you are looking for.

Of course the usual question and that is, do you have jobs lined up, do you work from home, of what is your situation?

Someone suggested Preston Hollow, I think you would be more at home in one of the areas knowing what I do about where you are now living.

As for keeping up, you are going to always get a little of this, but not as much in Lewisville and Grapevine.

Good luck, enjoy your visit, be prepared for the humidity which is one of the few negatives about Texas.
Nita

Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM

445 posts, read 1,804,303 times
We are self employed, we own resdiential landscape companies.

I looked into McKinney, Allen, Murphy and Frisco. Which we will be visiting when we come out. Which all look nice!! And as i said schools are #1. I really liked McKinney, the Stonebridge Ranch Development....But i have not been there to any of these places yet...we were in Austin 2 years ago, and i liked it, but was not ready to move at that time. I think in our line of work the Dallas areas may be better for us?

I do not want to be in a BIG city, we have about 100k population right now, and it is ok, i liked it better about 10 years ago though....a lot less people, but i have enjoyed the shopping that came along with growth, that is abou tit though!!haha

Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 125,735 times
I would say west allen.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,573,877 times
I would recommend the Plano Senior High regions of Plano. They will be affordable and not really a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality, but with excellent schools and very family friendly. Western Plano will put you at the bottom of the price range and it's definitely much more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Eastern Plano is nice mostly and has very nice schools, but is more diverse, which is a drawback to some people, and is more lower-middle class to regular middle class than the upper-middle-class areas found in the rest of Plano. East Senior High gets knocked as not being as good of a school as the other two, but there is little difference overall except maybe in the attitudes of some of the lower students.

You might also want to look at Grapevine and Colleyville. They are pretty similar to Plano in culture and price range, and also have excellent schools.

Not in a "big city" is all relative. The entire area is one big area with little distinction until you get into the country, and most of the suburbs have huge populations. Arlington, which is in between Dallas and Ft Worth and is often considered to be a suburb of both cities, has 375k people and is in the fifty largest cities in the country.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM

994 posts, read 2,440,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post

I looked into McKinney, Allen, Murphy and Frisco. Which we will be visiting when we come out. Which all look nice!! And as i said schools are #1. I really liked McKinney, the Stonebridge Ranch Development....But i have not been there to any of these places yet...we were in Austin 2 years ago, and i liked it, but was not ready to move at that time. I think in our line of work the Dallas areas may be better for us?

I do not want to be in a BIG city, we have about 100k population right now, and it is ok, i liked it better about 10 years ago though....a lot less people, but i have enjoyed the shopping that came along with growth, that is abou tit though!!haha
Schools being #1 & McKinney don't really go together.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,016,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well........... I personally am partial to Garland and Rockwall
Murphy and Parker are also at the top of my list. Those are my personal top 4 suburbs. If I were to go inside the city limits of Dallas I LOOOOOVE Lakewood, Preston Hollow and a few other small areas near those two. Lake Highlands is also up there. All are great family areas.
DITTO -

Also as ranger said these neighborhoods are unto themselves - we say ' like a small town in the city'

PH would have more of the keeping up with the Joneses nonsense.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post

100,000 in Temucula, it is almost impossible for me to beleive, but the same is true about Lewisville. As for not wanting a big city, you are going to have some trouble finding a small town atmosphere near Dallas as all the burbs are growing like crazy. McKenney and Frisco are both splitting at their seams. I don't know about schools in Allen, but the town is smaller. As I memtioned Flower Mound and Highland Village are delightful and nowhere near 100,000 but the cities all run together so you wouldn't have that open feeling. Do think about those areas though, they really are nice with outstanding schools. yes, and Colleyville is another area you should consider.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas