Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,221 times

Advertisements

I have only been living here (Frisco) for a couple weeks now so I dont know the area too too well..

it doesn't seem like there are any Ghettos around the metroplex, is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK222 View Post
I have only been living here (Frisco) for a couple weeks now so I dont know the area too too well..

Not in the least sense (lol).

Old 04-18-2007, 04:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:

Wanna go for a ride?

The State Fair of Texas comes in September. You can park in one of the lots ON the fairgrounds OR you can park in someones yard for a couple bucks. They WILL watch your car. LOL!!! Oh, and seriously, the State Fair is VERY SAFE! As is getting there and parking.

Need a haircut? Heard of some great places up along MLK in Dallas.

Better yet? Need a job? Our trucks go all OVER the entire D/FW area. You will soon know more about the D/FW area than most people.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Wanna go for a ride?

The State Fair of Texas comes in September. You can park in one of the lots ON the fairgrounds OR you can park in someones yard for a couple bucks. They WILL watch your car. LOL!!! Oh, and seriously, the State Fair is VERY SAFE! As is getting there and parking.

Need a haircut? Heard of some great places up along MLK in Dallas.

Better yet? Need a job? Our trucks go all OVER the entire D/FW area. You will soon know more about the D/FW area than most people.
oh kay...

So, I'm sure there are some places.. but it's not like it was back home is it?

maybe Socketz knows as he is from near where I'm from.

trust me, I'm not looking... just wondering

Old 04-18-2007, 05:13 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
oh kay...

While the Dallas area does have some places that you can call "ghetto" it is nothing like some of the places I've seen in other cities/states. Nothing like Watts around here. Whew......... No fear of being out driving during the day and taking the wrong turn and getting shot. I still remember that incident in LA from years ago. Some family visiting out there took a wrong turn and when turning around on a side street someone shot into the car and killed a small child. We have "projects" but they don't freak me out. I guess the fact that my grandfather worked for the Dallas County Housing Authority and drove by them daily it was no big deal to me.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
While the Dallas area does have some places that you can call "ghetto" it is nothing like some of the places I've seen in other cities/states. Nothing like Watts around here. Whew......... No fear of being out driving during the day and taking the wrong turn and getting shot. I still remember that incident in LA from years ago. Some family visiting out there took a wrong turn and when turning around on a side street someone shot into the car and killed a small child. We have "projects" but they don't freak me out. I guess the fact that my grandfather worked for the Dallas County Housing Authority and drove by them daily it was no big deal to me.

Thanks Momof2

Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,094 times
Quote:
oh kay...

Where are you from?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,065 times
We went to last year's fair and everyone around here had us nervous about the area. We took the side roads to get there, passing through the "bad" areas... and I have to say, you guys must have never lived in a bad area. The bad areas of DC, Richmond, Baltimore, New York, etc are just waaay more scary than what I've seen around here. I haven't been all over yet, but the area around the fairgrounds has been tame.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Where are you from?

Washington DC area. Born in Roanoke but grew up around DC

Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,427,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
We went to last year's fair and everyone around here had us nervous about the area. We took the side roads to get there, passing through the "bad" areas... and I have to say, you guys must have never lived in a bad area. The bad areas of DC, Richmond, Baltimore, New York, etc are just waaay more scary than what I've seen around here. I haven't been all over yet, but the area around the fairgrounds has been tame.
I have to agree with you for the most part. There are areas in these places where you'll get shot at night (when I went through the Baltimore MEPs stations - military - they wouldn't let us go near the fence at night because people drove by and shot rounds into the facility). I grew up in MD near the border of SE DC and have stories that scare my 'white bread' (term we used as kids) colleagues. My wife forbids me to tell them because she swears people will look at me differently in the white collar world if they know I came from these types of roots. To me, I think it gives me an edge over many that have never looked socio-economic disparity in the face and beat it (although I have to admit I struggle with it from time to time and can easily regress back to a feeling of inferiority).

I struggle with the word ghetto because it has so many negative associations and sometimes gets painted onto ethnic areas without justification.

But suppressed, poor areas with violent crime potential, Dallas has some of those as well.

Look in Realtor.com and find the 25-75k homes, then look on the map. Southeast Dallas is no stranger to some of the violent crime that plagues many other large cities. The Trinity River seems to be the center of some of the worse areas in Dallas.

Up north in Frisco/McKinney, you'd struggle to find anything remotely similar. McKinney has the older 1850s stuff on the east side and Frisco has some older areas as well on the east side, lower income. Both are pretty harmless though.

In these areas, spoiled teens with pellet rifles shooting out windows in new homes make the news (McKinney). Or in Frisco, the 'smash and grab' crews are hard at work stealing CDs out of peoples' cars.

There are basically 2 types of crime demographics in my mind:
-Poor desperate people that feel there is no hope out of the socio-economic situation that has been dealt to them, so what have they got to lose
-Bored/neglected teenagers that struggle with the world of conformity their parents have busted their butts to provide for them, so they rebel and attempt to portray poor desperate types, without even a sliver of understanding of what that type of life actually involves

One group is dangerous, the other is more of a nuisance to society.

Last edited by socketz; 04-19-2007 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas