Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
You're getting too hot, that's all. So turn the heat down, some, on your thermostat...you'll be okay.
No, it's a little cool for me when it gets near freezing. I enjoy being outdoors a lot...unlike you. Do you ever go outside for any healthy activities? Maybe soak up some vitamin D from the sunshine? Grocery shopping doesn't count...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Well, if we were to actually get serious (and I'm not for a moment suggesting that we SHOULD on this thread, but if we were) we'd have to decide what constitutes "hot", "hot-as-hell", "cool", "truly cold", etc.

My guess is that for you, it's "truly cold" anytime the temperature dips below 65 degrees.

As an FYI- the "average high temperature" in (for comparison) Chicago peaks at 85 degrees in late July. Obviously, it often gets hotter than that in Chi, but that's the highest AVERAGE high temperature for any day of the year. By contrast, Dallas matches or exceeds that average high from May 19 thru September 29. On the flip side, the "average low temperature" in Dallas hits its nadir in early January, at 36 degrees. In Chicago the average low reaches or goes below that November 13 and doesn't exceed it again until March 30.

Just tossing that out as a point of reference.
Why in hell did you use Chicago for a comparison? Why didn't you use Phoenix?

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I wouldn't consider 8 total months to be hot, and/or hot-as-hell weather. You do realize that 8 months is like from March 1 to November 1? Hot or hot-as hell in March, April, May and October? - really now? Why don't you cut that 8 month time period of yours in half to maybe 4 months? Or maybe 3 months? Or maybe less? It's certainly not hot for 8 months...

My 'cracking up' comment is meant for the many people who think (like you do) that it's either hot or hot-as-hell two-thirds of the year. That's cracking up funny!
I think most people would agree that it's starting to get hot when it's at least 80. The averages are above that from early May to mid October. That's almost half the year. Of course you have the occasional hot day outside that range. This year it probably was pretty close to 8 months.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Why in hell did you use Chicago for a comparison? Why didn't you use Phoenix?
Watch it buddy, or I'll use Calgary for a comparison!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I think most people would agree that it's starting to get hot when it's at least 80. The averages are above that from early May to mid October. That's almost half the year. Of course you have the occasional hot day outside that range. This year it probably was pretty close to 8 months.

Hahaha!!! Hahahaha!!! Oh Lordy!

Let's see:
80 degrees becomes the temperature when it is HOThttp://plurkfiends.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/92b595a573d25dd5e39a57b5d56d4d03.gif (broken link)
8 months is really the same as 5 monthshttp://plurkfiends.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/92b595a573d25dd5e39a57b5d56d4d03.gif (broken link)
The occasional day outside the normal temperature range extends the time period (by at least a month) were it is said to be HOThttp://plurkfiends.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/92b595a573d25dd5e39a57b5d56d4d03.gif (broken link)

You fail the test on common sense and logic.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Hahaha!!! Hahahaha!!! Oh Lordy!

Let's see:
80 degrees becomes the temperature when it is HOT
8 months is really the same as 5 months
The occasional day outside the normal temperature range extends the time period (by at least a month) were it is said to be HOT

You fail the test on common sense and logic.
You either failed to read what I said or you're conflating my posts with someone else's. I never said it was usually hot 8 months of the year. I said it was almost half the year which the data bears out. I also said that this year it was mostly in the 80s for close to 8 months, and now that I've looked it up, it mostly stayed above 80 from mid March to nearly the end of October. Seven and a half months is definitely close to 8 months.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You either failed to read what I said or you're conflating my posts with someone else's. I never said it was usually hot 8 months of the year. I said it was almost half the year which the data bears out. I also said that this year it was mostly in the 80s for close to 8 months, and now that I've looked it up, it mostly stayed above 80 from mid March to nearly the end of October. Seven and a half months is definitely close to 8 months.
Oh, I read and understood what you said. Your logic is terribly flawed. You once again bring the 8 month time period up (even though you were not the originator who said it was hot for 8 months) - therefore one can only assume that you are doing your best to include yourself in that flawed data presented by 'synchronicity' and jump on her bandwagon.

For some obtuse reason you think 80 degrees should be defined as hot! Where did you come up with that crazy idea? Or are you playing a 'me too' game by claiming that 80 degrees should be the temperature when people think it is HOT because 'synchronicity' said that 80 degrees was hot? Once again, your view is not your own, your view is flawed...and it does not agree with the majority.

It's as if you copied someone's test paper and now you are attempting to justify someone elses answers as your own without admitting they are not your own...because you copied someone's test paper.

You do realize that at 80 degrees, with low humidity and a slight little breeze - that 80 degrees can feel very cool? So, why would you or 'synchronicity' try to convince people that 80 degrees is HOT?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Because most people would consider 80 as a bit warmer than comfortable. We're not going by your abnormal standards or Texas standards.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Because most people would consider 80 as a bit warmer than comfortable. We're not going by your abnormal standards or Texas standards.
So now (out of thin air) the language changes from 80 degrees being "HOT" to 80 degrees being "warmer than comfortable". That's funny stuff.

Apparently you've never been in a convertible with the top down at just 80 degrees. A little wind, low humidity, no sun - and it can get COLD at 80 degrees!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Quote:
I think the scientific room temperature is usually taken as close to 70F. If you are arguing that >80F is hot, then anything below 60F should be considered cold as well. By that standards, Dallas winters are way worse than the summers!

85F is not bad in Dallas. It's not that humid. Try>90F to be getting hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas