Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM

6,670 posts, read 9,890,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I moved from Chicago. 25 in February is a WARM day.

And frankly, I'd LOVE to see snow. My daughter and her stuffed snowman miss it, and since the whole city shuts down when more than ten flakes hit the ground, it would be a vacation day for me.

So, to answer your question, YES!

And yeah, I realize I'm in the wrong state...
When did you move to Texas?

It really depends on where you live in the State. In the panhandle, they get a lot of snow and blizzards are common. Amarillo gets 17 inches of snow a year and gets in the single digits often, they also have snowplows. The winters are much worse than North Texas'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,828,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Yup, same here. Sadly, I'm going to have to be outside all next week for marching band. D:
Oh ugh!! Do I remember THOSE......at least it's not as bad as what the football team has to go through with those hot late summer workouts!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,634,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
When did you move to Texas?
2011. JUST before the ice storm (literally arrived in town less than a week before it hit).

Quote:
It really depends on where you live in the State. In the panhandle, they get a lot of snow and blizzards are common. Amarillo gets 17 inches of snow a year and gets in the single digits often, they also have snowplows. The winters are much worse than North Texas'.
Yabbut, I'm in DFW. If I have time to travel to the panhandle I have time to fly to Chicago or San Francisco. So I only care about weather in DFW if we're talking Texas. So fine, I should've said "wrong city" SO SHOOT ME, OK!!! (wait, this is Texas, you probably could, and argue "he just needed killin'" and add on to that "he dissed Texas". They'd give you medal. )

Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Disgusting that it's almost 11 p.m. and it's still 93 degrees!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,787,377 times
Quote:

Amarillo gets 17 inches of snow a year and gets in the single digits often, they also have snowplows. The winters are much worse than North Texas'.
When I lived in Chicago, we called that Thursday.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
When I lived in Chicago, we called that Thursday.
To be fair, it's only about once a decade that Chicago gets 17 inches of snow...
IN ONE DAY!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,525,855 times
Looking to relocate to Plano or McKinney from southern California and keeping an eye on the weather. Seeing people complain about 103 degree weather or 6 weeks of "hot" weather is kinda funny after living in Palm Springs for 25 years. After you live thru 3 MONTHS of triple digits where you get a good week of 116-119 and then it "cools down" to 110-112, 103 is a chilly day 100 degrees by 9am, gotta love the desert!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
To be fair, it's only about once a decade that Chicago gets 17 inches of snow...
IN ONE DAY!!!

I was there that Thursday, in '67. LOL

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM

When we got the ice storm here in 2011, Chi got 20 inches of snow. My poor wife was stuck trying to dig out our driveway on her own. Her car got stuck on the driveway and kidlet had to spend a few hours extra at school.

'67 was legendary. I hope you weren't one of the people who had to abandon their car on the Kennedy and hike off until the snow melted.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
When we got the ice storm here in 2011, Chi got 20 inches of snow. My poor wife was stuck trying to dig out our driveway on her own. Her car got stuck on the driveway and kidlet had to spend a few hours extra at school.

'67 was legendary. I hope you weren't one of the people who had to abandon their car on the Kennedy and hike off until the snow melted.
No we weren't. During my time in Naperville, I was in the first and second grades '66 to '68. My dad worked at Argonne Nat'l Lab so he had a drive every day. The first couple of weeks of that snow were fun but then the snow stayed around for months and got so dirty and ugly, and seemed to take forever to completely melt. My school, since I lived within a mile of the school, had a strict policy that I had to walk home for lunch. My mother went a few rounds with the principal to get special dispensation, during the first week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas