Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 PM

50 posts, read 162,078 times

Advertisements

It looks like a "cold front" will be moving through this weekend. Highs should be in the low 90s with scattered rain showers.... Your local on the 8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM

137 posts, read 522,482 times
Why aren't there any basements in Dallas? It's a whole lot cooler there.
My question is: are houses built for the heat in Dallas (except for the AC unit)?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:39 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwnj View Post
Why aren't there any basements in Dallas? It's a whole lot cooler there.
My question is: are houses built for the heat in Dallas (except for the AC unit)?

Someone told me why, I forget. Something to do with the dirt or something.

What I don't get is, why don't houses come with a storm cellar? hello??? we are in tornado alley. After having a friggen trampoline come through my window, I am scared now.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
I think the ground here moves to much for basements. We have foundation issues on a lot of the homes after they are built.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I think the ground here moves to much for basements. We have foundation issues on a lot of the homes after they are built.
Technically, this is incorrect. The cost of building a basement, due to ground conditions (calcium carbonate and shifting soil) make it more expensive than just building a 2nd level, so that's what builders generally do.

There are a small number of homes with basements. I read an article a while back talking about homes in Highland Park that were built with garages below grade so they can get more livable space on the first floor (and in fact, the article was talking about a car sized "lazy-susan" so the driver doesn't have to back out... haha).

Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Technically, this is incorrect. The cost of building a basement, due to ground conditions (calcium carbonate and shifting soil) make it more expensive than just building a 2nd level, so that's what builders generally do.

There are a small number of homes with basements. I read an article a while back talking about homes in Highland Park that were built with garages below grade so they can get more livable space on the first floor (and in fact, the article was talking about a car sized "lazy-susan" so the driver doesn't have to back out... haha).
Well "technically" your being nit picky. Jeeez.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDizzl View Post
It looks like a "cold front" will be moving through this weekend. Highs should be in the low 90s with scattered rain showers.... Your local on the 8s
I hope they're not "storying" us again. I am so ready for this to end, I could scream.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDizzl View Post

"Cold front"

Looking for the break in the weather...but "Cold Front" can't they call it something other then that geez.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I hope they're not "storying" us again. I am so ready for this to end, I could scream.
After about 3 hours of gray skies and rain I'm ready for blue skies and sunshine again. Anything more...and I'm ready to scream!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Someone told me why, I forget. Something to do with the dirt or something.

What I don't get is, why don't houses come with a storm cellar? hello??? we are in tornado alley. After having a friggen trampoline come through my window, I am scared now.
I vowed I'd never live in Texas without a storm cellar. Well, that didn't happen until I lived here 19 years. After the F5 tornado that hit Jarrell and killed 27 people, that was enough for me. This tornado blew houses completely off the foundations and swept away the remains. It also scoured asphalt from roads, killed and dismembered hundreds of cattle, stripped bark from trees and uprooted them, and bounced vehicles for up to half a mile from their parking places.

I then put in a one-pour cement cellar measuring 10' x 10' and believe me, it gives one peace of mind when all hell is breaking loose above ground. It's so worth the investment and I truly don't understand why more people don't have them. Cellars are safer than basements unless the basement has a "safer," per se, area more underground than under house. If not, there is great danger of the house falling into the basement and trapping those below. Of course, a basement is safer than being in a house.

Responding to another poster and the coolness of a basement ..... I don't know about that, but I do know that in late spring or early fall if I have to use the cellar, it's hotter than blazes down there. Early spring, it's wonderfully cool, but if the weather has been hot outside for any length of time, it's hot downstairs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas