Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,594 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in NC and really want to get to the DFW Area before school starts. We have not been able to sell our house...we have had many offers but it seems once we get almost set to close the deal it falls through. Anyway, wondering if anyone knows any builders in the area who would be willing to do a Trade In? We are looking to upgrade to a much more expensive house so it could work out well for both parties.

I know it is a long shot but I do know many builders are starting to use this option and have started seeing more stories of this happening around the country so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 PM

107 posts, read 354,604 times
Try Robbie Hale Homes

Old 07-23-2009, 04:20 AM

Thanks...I'll check it out!!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
some builders around DFW are taking trades in the local area but frankly most people have to have quite a bit of equity in the house to see a profit there because there is a knockdown of value to cover the costs the builder needs to cover in holding/marketing the trade-in...
they don't want to lose money on it just to get out from under a spec house that is also costing them money--

it does not seem very logical that builders are going to want to take a trade in an out of state market where they would be unable to 1) use their own crews for fixup, 2) have local appraisers/RE agents they have worked with to give them accurate input on home's value and resale,
they would also basically become landlord for rental property if it can't sell and that would mean hiring property mgmt firm there and other expenses...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 AM

I am looking in the higher end price range... Our house is 4 years (new) listed right now for 650K...we are looking to upgrade to a larger new construction home in the North Dallas area (interested in the 800-1.2 M range). I have read a few stories of builders doing so to decrease costs...thought it wouldn't hurt to try!!

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
some builders do and I think the ones in your price range are hurting more than lower priced builders

talked to my RE person yesterday--she does relo mainly for Coldwell Banker office in Colleyville/Tarrant county--and her clients are usually looking for 600K+ homes--
she said she has plenty of people coming in who what to buy here but they can't sell their current homes out of state--so her sales are really languishing and so are some of the builders she represents...
her clients are in the situation that you are in exactly...

Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
some builders do and I think the ones in your price range are hurting more than lower priced builders

talked to my RE person yesterday--she does relo mainly for Coldwell Banker office in Colleyville/Tarrant county--and her clients are usually looking for 600K+ homes--
she said she has plenty of people coming in who what to buy here but they can't sell their current homes out of state--so her sales are really languishing and so are some of the builders she represents...
her clients are in the situation that you are in exactly...
It is so frustrating. We have had soooooo many showings...but same situation here in NC.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
There are very very few builders in DFW that will consider a trade in. Those that do will consider homes within the local market only and rarely in other markets if there is a division in their company that builds there.

Naima

Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I would assume your home is paid for since any mortgage company would not let you transfer title without paying off the loan. The cost of a builder borrowing money, closing costs and the risk factor does not sound like a good investment idea for a builder.

Unless you're willing to sell cheap & buy high.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would assume your home is paid for since any mortgage company would not let you transfer title without paying off the loan. The cost of a builder borrowing money, closing costs and the risk factor does not sound like a good investment idea for a builder.

Unless you're willing to sell cheap & buy high.
A Builder trade in is a process when a builder buys your lower priced home and in turn you buy one of their homes at a higher price...so you have two closings both usually scheduled at the same time. The benefit to the builder is that they can sell a higher priced home at usually list price and than they usually can have more flexibility in selling the other home maybe at even a much lower price. It is becoming a big trend is somem areas where Real Estate is hard to move right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: