Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times

Advertisements

I've had some success using a very inexpensive online tool that retrains your food and exercise habits in a way that is realistic and sustainable (but not easy, nobody would ever say this is easy.) Email me if you want to know, but you can probably guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Please also consider the risk of surgery.

My dad had non-elective surgery on his digestive tract and he didn't survive complications. It was a horrible way to die when his body was poisoned due to unmanageable internal leaks over a timeframe of 4 weeks.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:50 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Surgery that is needed is risky but to choose to have surgery is something I never understood.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 AM

171 posts, read 545,933 times
Debtex and Geek----what were your weight loss programs? Maybe programs isn't the right word but I wanna know how you did it!

Please tell me it was a miracle pill just kidding!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:35 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I investigated pretty thoroughly earlier this year as I was interested in bariatric surgery. I went to 2 different hospitals' info sessions. Lap band surgery will take about 3 yrs to achieve full results. Gastric bypass will take about 1 yr or less.

I also learned that people from all over the country come to Salt Lake City for the surgery if they are self-pay. One hospital charges about $17K and the other about 19K. Thjis is considerably less than most other cities. My DD had a friend who went to Belgium to get gastric bypass for $6K.

You CAN outeat any bariatric surgery. The surgery is not a cure-all but an aid to life-style changes. I have known several people over the years who not only gained back all the weight they lost but more. You have to committ to a life-long change in eating: no carbonated sodas, no caffeine, 6 oz meal, no liquids within 30 min before or after eating your 6 oz meal, 70% protein, 30% veggies. Most people get into trouble when they can't keep that up indefinitely.
Have you also considered what is called "the sleeve?" Technically, the name is Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. My husband was originally interested in the RNY, but his surgeon recommended the "sleeve" surgery for him.

Also, I can also recommend his surgeon, Dr. James Davidson. 214-265-7546. He has an exellent reputation at Presbyterian Hospital Dallas and does banding, the RNY bypass and the vertical sleeve.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
The way both seminars described it, it was not something I wanted. Many more staples and higher probability of leakage. As I am diabetic, I want the bypass where the 3' of intestine is taken out. Both groups said they didn't know why it made a difference to diabetics, but it does.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The way both seminars described it, it was not something I wanted. Many more staples and higher probability of leakage. As I am diabetic, I want the bypass where the 3' of intestine is taken out. Both groups said they didn't know why it made a difference to diabetics, but it does.
Yes, you should make the decision that seems right for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 AM

59 posts, read 230,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
That was not Bugaboo's question. If you weighed 200 pounds you wouldn't qualify anyhow....200 pounds is considered 'lightweight' in the wls world. If you haven't lived in that world, don't judge.
Actually 200lbs isnt lightweight if you are short in stature. I have known several women in that weight range who got the surgery in the DFW area. Some also had complications from losing too much weight too fast.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlinagirlntx View Post
Actually 200lbs isnt lightweight if you are short in stature. I have known several women in that weight range who got the surgery in the DFW area. Some also had complications from losing too much weight too fast.
Usually, it's calculated by BMI. (body mass index) Most reputable bariatric surgeons don't like to (or flat won't )do surgery on people whose BMI is under 40. Sometimes they will at BMI of 35 especially if there are what they call "co-morbidities" present such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. BMI standards may be a little less strict for the banding, I think, because it's reversible etc.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post
Debtex and Geek----what were your weight loss programs? Maybe programs isn't the right word but I wanna know how you did it!

Please tell me it was a miracle pill just kidding!
Happy to explain! It was not a program or anything, just diet and exercise. I used various online forums for support and used a website called fitday.com (free) to calculate my calories, nutrition, and exercise and also to track my weight. Basically I calculated what I needed calorie-wise to maintain my starting weight and shaved a good percentage of that off. If you consume fewer calories than you burn then weight loss will result unless you have some sort of metabolic problem. What you eat is more important than how often you work out but exercise is very important. When I was actively trying to lose weight I worked out for an hour 6-7 times a week. For maintenance I am working out 3-4-5 times a week and still watching what I eat, though I no longer count calories as strictly as I did before. I still weigh myself every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas