Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,130,452 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in another thread, when compared to similarly sized cities, Dallas is in the middle both for size and it's murder rate. It's not all that different than many other large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,572,950 times
Well put, momof2dfw.

Crime statistics are a bunch of poo. Dallas would do itself a great service if it would just stop reporting vandalism and petty theft. Just imagine - the "crime rate" would plummet - all without any new officers or policies.

Anyhow - I will reiterate the stastical issue of a larger area - if there is an area that comprises of 25% of your area, but has 75% of your crime, the entire area would look bad statistically. Stats can't really be used well on large areas with diverse crime "density" like Dallas - or most large cities for that matter.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:19 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,130,452 times
I'd actually say that other large cities are doing it's current and potential citizens a disservice by not accurately reporting crimes. But you are right that either extreme, everyone or no one reporting, would at least be consistent. As it is, there are some distortions in the statistics based on the reporting.

It would be nice if every city reported as well as Dallas does. I really like the crime map on Dallas' website, you can quickly get a visual feel for where the most crimes occur by category.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,256,232 times
Stay north of the Trinity. You'll be as safe as you are in the suburbs. But even south of the Trinity has some nice places.

I think kaykay may be biased because she lived in southeast Dallas/Pleasant Grove. That is unquestionably the roughest part of Dallas. I might have a skewed view of Dallas if I lived there too.

And, yes, when you live in Pleasant Grove/Southeast Dallas the answer to your crime problem is moving.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:44 PM

I moved from Allen to Dallas. We are planning to start a family. We wouldn't have made the migration south if we felt we were putting our family at risk. Enough said.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 PM

595 posts, read 2,714,475 times
We have lived in or near Frisco since 1985 and have seen many, many changes. There are many cool things about Frisco that people who live in Dallas don't like. For example....Pizza Hut Park which is the host to FC Dallas ..a major soccer team...Jimmy Buffet will be singing there this weekend. Frisco also has MANY mom and pop places to eat....Manny's Mexican, The Abbey, Randy's Steakhouse. None of which are chains......
The people must not have gone past Stonebriar Mall....what a shame.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
How can you get past that mall with all the traffic? I think I'd rather just kill myself than drive up Preston and 121. I'm sure that might make some happy

Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,224,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How can you get past that mall with all the traffic? I think I'd rather just kill myself than drive up Preston and 121. I'm sure that might make some happy
Who would I have to argue with then??!!
Now...getting down to some serious arguing, I work on Preston Road in Frisco. I drive by Stonebriar Mall every morning (at rush hour). I am usually in a hurry but traffic is not bad there since "Preston Bridge" was opened several months ago. Not to say that Preston Road doesn't have some traffic...it does, but no worse than a lot of places.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 PM

The bridge is finally open? That had to help a TON!

Historic downtown Frisco does has some cool places to eat. Let's not forget Double Dip - their grasshoppers are awesome! The Abbey is a neat place, but Randy's steakhouse is overpriced for their quality - there are 1/2 off coupons periodically available for them that bring their prices in line the quality. Frisco offers something different than Dallas. To even attempt to compare Frisco's list of non-chain restaurants, especially houses converted to restaurants or places located in historic parts of town, with Dallas is humorous at best. I lived in Allen and frequented Frisco. Saying things like "people must not have gone past Stonebriar Mall" and getting your argument shot down isn't the best way to debate.

Brian

Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Mall? What mall? Frisco has a mall? WOW!!! Bet that made all of those cows happy.

Anyone else remember the produce stand that used to be on the corner of Preston and 121? When the NHL was on strike in order to get our hockey fix (I know, Native Texan and I LOVE ice hockey ) we got season tickets for the Texas Tornado. Sure Frisco has some nice things but there is nothing that makes me want to go running to move there. Actually the opposite. I like to be w/in a little drive of all the "attractions" and the congestion caused by it but not smack in the middle of it. I'm sure the bridge had to help. Before that trying to get out onto Preston from the Chick-Fil-A was a nightmare. Visit Sam Moon? LOVE TO! But I don't dare go on a weekend and I make sure I have time for a margarita afterwards to unwind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: