Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 PM

66 posts, read 238,196 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. I was wondering about Angie's List and was just doing a general search on it in the forums as we're looking to buy a house in Florida and would not know anybody!!! Seems like a pretty good deal to me if you're new to the area. Plus my cousin sent me a coupon code for it which is what got me started researching it in the first place! So IF we move to Florida, I'll use the code 'ROCK' with Angie's List and save 25% and find me some service people to fix my house up!

This was nice to read some anonymous reviews on it. Sorry for posting on a non-Florida forum... like I said... just hunting for references for Angie's List and you guys told me what I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
I was just wondering how many consumers would pay to look up professional and service businesses. They claim 20,000 users.

"I just listed our company on Angie's List." I said that to my business partner and Son and he asked, "What's that?" And he's more Internet savvey than I am. It cost nothing for a business to list themselves but it costs the user/consumer to register to use it. It was something like a $15.00 up front and about $6.00 a month or you pay something like $60.00 per year. What do you know about Angie's List?

I may be wrong here but i don't think a company can list itself on Angie's list. The only way to get on there is for a member to enter the business' information and leave a review.

I've been a member of Angies list for 3 years now. I first joined when we were selling our home up in Indiana and found it an excellent resource on finding the best businesses for our needs. I especially appreciate the ability to read the detailed reviews for how a company has treated its previous customers. companies that have a repeated bad grade are investigated to make sure the allegations are correct and then kicked off the list.

Since we moved to Dallas and bought our clunker of a house (1980's) I have relied very heavily on Angies for finding handymen, electricians, plumbers, pest control companies, doctors, dentists and anything else that they list for.

I find that it is totally worth the 70 bucks a year since many businesses offer coupons for Angies list members and the peace of mind in knowing that the company has been vouched for by a large number of people.

I tend not to take a company with just a couple of reviews very seriously but a company that has gathered over 15 reports on the list and with the most current reports being good ones I tend to hire companies almost exclusively based on that. I don't know people in the dallas area who can recommend companies to me and I love the list.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
craigslist should sue them for stealing the name.

craigslist is free and works great

Old 09-06-2009, 09:41 PM

48 posts, read 228,307 times
I've been an Anglie's List member for two months, and so far I'm very pleased. Last month we used it to find a good, reliable mechanic, and also to find a reasonable cab company to get to and from the mechanic. This month we are using it to find someone to repair our dryer. Sears wants $129 just to walk in the door.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
Ive used it for the past 3 years, and everyone Ive chosen has been excellent and reasonably priced.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM

48 posts, read 228,307 times
As I mentioned earlier, I was going to use Angie's List to find someone to fix my dryer. A company named The Right Appliances out of Garland had outstanding reviews. They returned my message this morning, and a repair man was here by 10 a.m. and was clean and polite. (The clean comment many sound strange, but I've had people show who looked as if they hadn't bathed in weeks wearing stinky dirty clothing to fix my freezer -- blech!) He could have replaced an entire component, but instead he replaced two little thingies and saved us $75. His entire bill was $75 -- $45 for the service call, $30 for parts and labor. It is warranted for 30 days. Sears wanted $129 just to walk in the door. I am sure they would have tried to sell us a new dryer. Now I have to go to Angie's List and give them a good review.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
that is what I like about Angie's list--getting feed back--and I like the ones with details like being neat/presentable (that might go over better than clean) I have not had them like that but my friend had some guys fix her fridge--did a great job--but you almost wanted to ask them to wash their hands before they touched it...

Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 23,435 times
We used it last year extensively to find contractors for our renovation project. We had a general contractor who screwed us in the middle of the project and we hired individual plumbers,electricians etc through Angie's list. Very very pleased with the service as nowhere else you can find such thorough reviews. We wrote reviews about all the ppl that we hired through that too.After major contractor fiasco, this was a life saver. Not hiring another guy without checking in this list first.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
That's the awesome thing about angies list - the personal opinions. The ratings are detailed about a lot of things including price and it has turned into my one stop shop to find businesses. Yes, you can often find reviews for free on google etc but these are reviews by paying members and if reviews for a company are particularly bad the list looks into it, tosses the company off the list, or even intervenes to help settle a situation between companies and dissatisfied customers.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 238,196 times
I did sign up with Angie's List for the area I'm moving to and wow! What a great resource! Already found a fantastic electrician and I gotta say... it really does pay for itself. Thanks for posting about it on here. I was a bit skeptical but decided it was worth a try.

Actually, kinda because of using Angie's List, we are closing on our house as I was able to find a contractor who could fix some wet rot that all the roofers wouldn't fix!!! (they just wanted to sell me a roof.)

So yeah. Pretty darn cool. I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas