Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will moving populations affect Dallas?
Not at all 6 7.69%
Will have a positive affect 40 51.28%
Will have a negative affect 27 34.62%
Not sure 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 PM

86 posts, read 119,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
. . . I recall being in Paris (France) and meeting two folks from Texas, and chuckled when they proceeded to tell French people (and other Europeans) they were from Texas like it actually meant something. . .
Funny you should mention Paris. Wow! E-G-O. Small note; I typed Bostonian, I made no reference to the State of Mass. And I should clarify, people from NYC, not the state of New York. Sometimes it's difficult to see the forest through the trees. I personally don't think being proud of your roots is a negative thing. I just think the idea that Texans have somehow cornered the market is absolutely ridicules. Texans tend to be more direct, which makes their pride more visible, not more significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceij View Post
Funny you should mention Paris. Wow! E-G-O. Small note; I typed Bostonian, I made no reference to the State of Mass. And I should clarify, people from NYC, not the state of New York. Sometimes it's difficult to see the forest through the trees. I personally don't think being proud of your roots is a negative thing. I just think the idea that Texans have somehow cornered the market is absolutely ridicules. Texans tend to be more direct, which makes their pride more visible, not more significant.
This is borderline certifiable...Mentioning I went to Paris somehow means I have an ego? Great logic here..Sadly you are way off base. But best of luck to you.

Last edited by skids929; 04-01-2011 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM

109 posts, read 204,293 times
All this "Texan" stuff is ridiculous. I have lived in Texas for years and half the people I know are from Texas and I have never heard anyone talk about being "Texan" or any of that junk.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Look what it did to Florida!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
I recall being in Paris (France) and meeting two folks from Texas, and chuckled when they proceeded to tell French people (and other Europeans) they were from Texas like it actually meant something..
It does mean something, but it's also done in a good-natured tongue-in-cheek style.

You must not be from Texas.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM

86 posts, read 119,226 times
Quote:
This is borderline certifiable...Mentioning I went to Paris somehow means I have an ego? Great logic here..Sadly you are way off base. But best of luck to you.
Well, that wasn't what I was saying. I'm sure other people may be thinking it. You must be thinking your mention of Paris was a little boastful for you to interpret my comment that way, a Freudian slip on your part. I was going to let it slide. What I was saying is Parisians are at least as prideful as Texans. Parisians are so prideful that the French outside of Paris roll their eyes at them.

Parisian pride manifests itself in the form of pretension and overt insincerity, (kind of like your "But best of luck to you" comment) Bostonian pride manifests itself in the way they give themselves permission to be rude. It's not an accident or a genetic malformation that Bostonians tend to be rude. They feel entitled to treat others that way. If they didn't feel entitled they wouldn't do it. Texas pride is more childlike. There isn't an insult implied. They just feel proud of their heritage.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceij View Post
Well, that wasn't what I was saying. I'm sure other people may be thinking it. You must be thinking your mention of Paris was a little boastful for you to interpret my comment that way, a Freudian slip on your part. I was going to let it slide. What I was saying is Parisians are at least as prideful as Texans. Parisians are so prideful that the French outside of Paris roll their eyes at them.

Parisian pride manifests itself in the form of pretension and overt insincerity, (kind of like your "But best of luck to you" comment) Bostonian pride manifests itself in the way they give themselves permission to be rude. It's not an accident or a genetic malformation that Bostonians tend to be rude. They feel entitled to treat others that way. If they didn't feel entitled they wouldn't do it. Texas pride is more childlike. There isn't an insult implied. They just feel proud of their heritage.
Bostonians are not rude. They are reserved. They are uptight. The are repressed. But they are not rude. They consider intruding upon someone else's privacy with conversation to be improper, uncouth, and unbecoming. To be rude would be improper. Bostonians would never stoop to that. What's your background with Boston that you know all this?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs☺be View Post
bostonians are not rude. They are reserved. They are uptight. The are repressed. But they are not rude. They consider intruding upon someone else's privacy with conversation to be improper, uncouth, and unbecoming. To be rude would be improper. Bostonians would never stoop to that. What's your background with boston that you know all this?

spot on!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It does mean something, but it's also done in a good-natured tongue-in-cheek style.

You must not be from Texas.
Afraid no, not even close. But I guess this one went right straight over my head. My bad..

Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Maybe they will start electing grown ups

Gomert 2012, someone has to stop the Terror Babies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas