Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will moving populations affect Dallas?
Not at all 6 7.69%
Will have a positive affect 40 51.28%
Will have a negative affect 27 34.62%
Not sure 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM

86 posts, read 118,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Bostonians are not rude. They are reserved. They are uptight. The are repressed. But they are not rude. They consider intruding upon someone else's privacy with conversation to be improper, uncouth, and unbecoming. To be rude would be improper. Bostonians would never stoop to that. What's your background with Boston that you know all this?
LMAO Are you serious?! Read what you wrote carefully. You'll laugh out loud. Yeah, Texans are disproportionately proud. Nothing prideful in the above statement at all. LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceij View Post
Well, that wasn't what I was saying. I'm sure other people may be thinking it. You must be thinking your mention of Paris was a little boastful for you to interpret my comment that way, a Freudian slip on your part. I was going to let it slide. What I was saying is Parisians are at least as prideful as Texans. Parisians are so prideful that the French outside of Paris roll their eyes at them.

Parisian pride manifests itself in the form of pretension and overt insincerity, (kind of like your "But best of luck to you" comment) Bostonian pride manifests itself in the way they give themselves permission to be rude. It's not an accident or a genetic malformation that Bostonians tend to be rude. They feel entitled to treat others that way. If they didn't feel entitled they wouldn't do it. Texas pride is more childlike. There isn't an insult implied. They just feel proud of their heritage.
I did think that, and either it was a Freudian slip or a lack of articulation.

Either way, my bad, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Good game tonight, Bard barfed in the 8th.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,437,282 times
Quote:
LMAO Are you serious?! Read what you wrote carefully. You'll laugh out loud. Yeah, Texans are disproportionately proud. Nothing prideful in the above statement at all. LMAO
You're flat wrong about Bostonians. And you didn't say what your background with Boston was. I'm a native NY'er who has lived in 8 metro areas including Boston for 15 years. And you?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,810 times
Quote:
I am confused, what is prideful about it? He/she is startlingly accurate in their characterization of someone from Boston, or MA in general. See, MA is a small state so the connectedness to Boston is something most people here posses because at some point their family probably came through Boston. Different than Dallas in that way.

But, I think the point here on Boston being made is sound, by two people who know the area. Bostonians are anything BUT pretentious and nettlesome, because we have a general disdain for those qualities in others. People here are tough, raw but REAL to the core. I am not saying Texas is some kind of opposite of that, but we tend to display our Civic pride in very different ways.

Personally, I have met alot of people from Texas that feel the need to tell me a) they are from Texas within the first 10 minutes of meeting them and b) how great the state is. I tend to agree with b), but find it ironical that the people I have met from the Tx have to tell me they are from there so soon after meeting them. Not sure what that means in general terms, I guess it's just part of your identity, nothing wrong with it, I guess..Unless maybe you look it from the context that some of you still refer to us as "Yankees".

Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 AM

424 posts, read 1,812,363 times
I love the great state of Texas and there are a few quirky qualities that sum up my opinion of Texans(of course exceptions to every rule...this is a generalization):

The smaller the man, the larger the truck
Nails and hair define you as a woman
Beauty is in the eye beholder (plastic surgery central next to L.A.)
You really do have to keep up with the Jones' (certain 'burbs only)
Don't revitalize...just build a new one
Shop till you drop
Everything is a contest (driving, storytelling, etc.)

God bless Texas

Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 PM

86 posts, read 118,891 times
I don't think being proud of your city or state is a negative. I think it's great that people are proud of their hometown. When a city or state is proud, they have a better sense of who they are. They recover quicker from a setback. They can better navigate difficulty, because they have a clearer vision and direction, and a larger sense of community. I'm glad Texas isn't the only place in America who is proud. I wish we would stop trying to convince Americans that being proud of their roots is bad thing. Now, lets return this page to it's previously scheduled thread.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 PM

160 posts, read 197,491 times
Well, one thing is known of those who move to Texas -- they truly want to be Texans; no possible doubt about that, since they uprooted themselves and sold their houses and left friends and family and homes and all that was familiar and thought all of it a price in no way too high to pay for the privilege of living in Texas. It is so well known as to be a cliche that first-generation immigrants are the most patriotic of citizens; which is to be expected of folks who thought America a place worth travelling any distance to reach, citizenship utterly worth the exhausting, interminable, and testing process of earning it, and themselves luckier than any of their forebears. My stepfather is an immigration attorney; I have seen the astonishing gratitude of his clients ( and who likes lawyers?? let alone kisses them in tearful thanks?) for his help in steering them through the incredibly trial of becoming a citizen, and their joy and pride and near disbelief at their good fortune when it is accomplished, for they know the worth of it as few who were handed it for free and did nothing to earn it do, because it is not human nature to value what one and everyone one knows has taken for granted as a person's birthright since they were born. The gifts they give him -- home-baked baklava and hand-knitted scarves and the useless, priceless gifts of those who give time and effort and love since that is what they have to give and they must give, for they have received what millions dream of in vain, and never lose that gratitude nor the knowledge that American citizenship is earned, not assumed or born into as a birthright, and that only the very luckiest have the chance to earn it, and that of course one must labor and pay and give thanks for the privilege. When I visit my mother, there is always some tin of honey pastry or carefully tissue-wrapped pair of hand-knitted gloves sitting around, and the sight never fails to make me remember again that though I was born an American, it was by no virtue or toil of mine; it was a gift from my forebears and my country, and one that is so precious, people die as a matter of course trying to cross a desert on foot to reach the promised land, like the Israelites making for their own promised land, never doubting that the armed chariots that would hunt them down and the land that offers no water but dry rock are to be risked, when death is only death and if they essay it, they might reach heaven itself. (I am not saying I am in favor of letting all would-be immigrants in; that would be a stampede fit to crush more than few; all I say is that it is not possible to question that would-be Americans are not seeking to turn America into home; they are leaving their homes, at the least, and sometimes with great peril, so that America might possibly be what they can make their home. They are indubitably quite sure our way of life is better than theirs; nobody works that hard to change their home from the perceived better to the perceived worse; if they ever work to do that at all.) It does remind me to be grateful for what I, a native, am inclined to take for granted; and that on no account is that a correct attitude. Jury duty, taxes, and following the news enough to vote in a half-educated way all seem suddenly much more like things I owe than hassles.

In any case, there seems no reason to doubt that those who leave their homes for Texas want their home to be Texas; and if they wanted to live someplace like they currently do, would just stay there. Uprooting oneself and one's family is a loss, a huge hassle, an expense, and high on the list of "most stressful life events," after all. Nobody goes through that for something they do not account to be of considerable value.

It is always recognized as a sign of doom when a place keeps losing population; where no one wants to live is soon inhabited only by those who have no travel money, no skills to get a job in a more desirable area, or no hope or plan or energy or ambition for a better future. To be a growth area by contrast is not questioned as desirable; or not very often; it is here, so I guess it is sometimes. But it's very abnormal.

If employers in Texas think they are getting the best, or a needed, person for a job in an out-of-stater, despite having to pay relocation costs, wait for the person to arrange a spousal job and find schools and other delays and hassles, etc., then likely the person has something to offer, as their hiring suggests. Companies don't recruit employees because they want to ruin their community and think hiring a Virginian for a management position will add more blight to the blight.

And I am a midwesterner by provenance and have only visited, so I may be mistaken; but I have always heard that Texas was big. Famously big. I always kind of liked the idea that there was still a big, wide-open state with big-hearted natives; has it gotten all crowded and congested and squashed in on itself like the East Coast, then? Or getting that way? That's depressing. An America where a body can't light out for the territories if s/he is sick of too much sivlizin' makes me feel as suddenly claustrophobic as poor Huck crammed into in the widder-woman's woolen suit.

Tell me Texas is still Texas -- wide open and welcoming, as long as one minds one's manners and takes off one's hat indoors.

Otherwise I'm depressed, in some indefinable but very real way.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM

275 posts, read 414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th gen View Post
As a 7th generation Texan who's family faught for and was a part of the Republic of Texas, I worry about this all the time.

You will always be a yank and it really bothers me when people come down here and live here for a month and then go around "claiming" they are Texan. IMO true Texans can trace their family tree back to the Republic.

Dont really care about the Mason-Dixon Line, anyone from north of the Red River is a yankee

Your reasoning is wrong, we love to learn about other cultures if for nothing else then to reasure us about our beliefs. We aren't affraid of change by anymeans. We live by the philosophy that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". You think we need change?? If what we have been doing all this time is so bad that we need to change then why is it that is doing better then the majority of the rest of the country? Do you just want us to change to your way of thinking just so that we can fail too? Cause that just doesn't make anysense to me. Texas is a large reason this country is still afloat and IMHO I think that if (and I mean if, not saying it should/could) but if Texas was to leave the US then the US would pretty much if not completely collapse.
A Texan is born in Texas and especially has roots/history in the state. A Texas resident is from another state or country; that person may reside in Texas but that does not make you a Texan. So, a person from Indiana who lives in Texas is a Texas resident from Indiana; that person is NOT a Texan. The reason I write all of this is that when I lived in Virginia for four years, I never once considered myself a Virginian. I was a person from Texas/Texan who resided in Virginia. And let me tell you--Virginians are as state proud as any Texan I've ever met. I enjoyed my time in Virginia, but I did not consider myself FROM there, and believe me, no Virginian did either!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM

160 posts, read 197,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
A Texan is born in Texas and especially has roots/history in the state. A Texas resident is from another state or country; that person may reside in Texas but that does not make you a Texan. So, a person from Indiana who lives in Texas is a Texas resident from Indiana; that person is NOT a Texan. The reason I write all of this is that when I lived in Virginia for four years, I never once considered myself a Virginian. I was a person from Texas/Texan who resided in Virginia. And let me tell you--Virginians are as state proud as any Texan I've ever met. I enjoyed my time in Virginia, but I did not consider myself FROM there, and believe me, no Virginian did either!
Well, I think of a Texan the same way you do, someone born there. I'm from Illinois, I currently live in New York (and cannot stand when other people call me a New Yorker -- it's inaccurate in all sorts of ways), and when I live in Texas I will claim no more than that I live in Texas. And that only if the question is specifically and merely, "Where do you live?" If asked "Where are you from?", I will of course say, "Well, I now live in Texas, but I'm not from there; I grew up in Illinois." (Not because I'd be ashamed to be a Texan but because I don't qualify.)

So, people who were not born in Texas but are claiming to be Texans are only a subset -- and a disapproved one by at least one other subset -- of new Texas residents. I don't know how big a subset; but I'm guessing a minority, because that is patently an odd-sounding claim. My guess is most of us will remember where our roots actually are, and if asked, tell the truth.
I mean, I am sure I will be happy in Texas -- I wouldn't be moving there if I didn't like and respect the people and culture -- but other states breed regional pride too. To even want to pass myself off as the former when I am the latter, I would have to think being a Texan is obviously a much better thing to be than a midwesterner --- and that everyone everywhere of course knows that, so renouncing my real roots and trying to "pass" as one of the superior breed has compelling advantages, if I can get away with it. Whereas actually I think none the worse of myself for being a native of Illinois living in Texas. And if others do, and tell me the admission instantly identifies me as a lesser breed, I will either ignore them (internally as well as externally) or if I happen to be a testy mood, rise up righteous and defend the honor of my home state. Texas is great; but Texans who are my superior are my superior for other reasons than that I hail from the Land of Lincoln and the Breadbasket of the World (the topsoil is eight feet deep and black with its richness; arguably the best contiguous stretch of farmland that big in the world; certainly among the best. -- See what I mean about regional pride? It doesn't make me think myself better than a Texan, but it does not make me feel lesser, and those who think it should I think incorrect. Certainly it is not an identity it would ever occur to me conceal by a fib in the hopes of passing myself off as Texan. Texans no doubt are rightfully proud of their heritage; I am proud of mine. While thinking Texas a great enough place to pick up and move to, esp. because I am moving from New York, not my home.

I do not think myself singular in this; and I conjecture I am not even rare. I am pretty unremarkable in most ways.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM

85 posts, read 157,849 times
Do not forget that Earth is home to all humans so newbies are welcome to Texas and good luck to ones who are moving elsewhere to explore new pastures. What difference does it make if some one came here as a new born or reached as a middle age person? Why would it matter if one is liberal or conservative? We need both to keep our balance. Its home if you hang your hat and pay for utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas