Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I think these numbers are just numbers. Having said this I must give Garland ISD it's kudo's. It is a old district with students from all socio-economic backgrounds and races. The fact that they got a recognized score for the entire district is impressive in my book.
Could not have agreed more. My daughter is a part of the GISD district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Well, Plano got dinged because of one reason - 20 of 33 black kids at one middle school flunked the science TAKS.

So, yeah, 20 bad apples managed to trash the entire district's reputation. I'm sure their parents are proud.

Yah now you know how it works! Two extra hispanic students at Lake Highlands High dropped out and it sank their ranking. My alma mater went AU one year because of 12 students in one of the seven subgroups (while two subgroups were exemplary). How long has it taken us to live down that AU?
We were back on the Newsweek list the next year. So how do you try to explain that to folks? The principals get into trouble if they even mention the group which brought down the school. I believe McKinney High is AU this year. Coppell High got even got an AU one year.

The more diverse the school, the more chances are that its ranking will tank because just a few kids didn't pass. This seems counterintuitive when diversity is considered an asset by most.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yah now you know how it works! Two extra hispanic students at Lake Highlands High dropped out and it sank their ranking. My alma mater went AU one year because of 12 students in one of the seven subgroups (while two subgroups were exemplary). How long has it taken us to live down that AU?
We were back on the Newsweek list the next year. So how do you try to explain that to folks? The principals get into trouble if they even mention the group which brought down the school. I believe McKinney High is AU this year. Coppell High got even got an AU one year.

The more diverse the school, the more chances are that its ranking will tank because just a few kids didn't pass. This seems counterintuitive when diversity is considered an asset by most.
Worse............ when a student knows they can get by if they flunk the test but the teachers get into the REAL trouble. The kid can flunk and mom/dad can come raise holy war w/ the school and the little darling must be moved onto the next grade. Or if they are old enough mom/dad will just let them drop out which brings down the ranking even more. Meanwhile the teacher is catching all kinds of grief because THEY "did not do their job". They can only teach so much and come the day of the test and make-up test it is all up to Lil Johnny to prove the teacher did their job by passing. If he doesn't like the teacher........ he just doesn't answer the questions and really doesn't face any consequences.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Worse............ when a student knows they can get by if they flunk the test but the teachers get into the REAL trouble. The kid can flunk and mom/dad can come raise holy war w/ the school and the little darling must be moved onto the next grade. Or if they are old enough mom/dad will just let them drop out which brings down the ranking even more. Meanwhile the teacher is catching all kinds of grief because THEY "did not do their job". They can only teach so much and come the day of the test and make-up test it is all up to Lil Johnny to prove the teacher did their job by passing. If he doesn't like the teacher........ he just doesn't answer the questions and really doesn't face any consequences.
Precisely why I totally went off about middle schoolers dropping out in another thread. Hello, parents???

Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
You nailed it. My jaw drops at the cajones of some parents I've seen in action.

The parents sit on their rears and do nothing to help the school as their kids misbehave, disrupt class, and generally refuse to learn. Of course, at home, there is ZERO learning going on.

Then, when Junior flunks the TAKS, all of a sudden it's the school's fault. What the...?

Yep, the kids flunk the test but the teachers get into trouble.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,230 times
Aren't they doing away with the stupid TAKS test and moving toward using multiple sources (test scores, homework, attendance and periodic assessments) as a basis for testing? Please tell me this is so and not just a nasty rumor!

If they are...has anybody heard when? This would be more in tune with what other states do. Then cute and precious Johnny has to be more accountable.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,280 times
can anyone tell me if there is a site (or post a link) that i can enter an address to see where my kids would go to school??

on the subjects of schools and while we have been looking in Rockwall, and found some areas we really liked, the school thing concerned me. One of the houses we found in Rockwall, High Pointe Estates ( it is a rental) but named the elem school as Springer, as i researched it, though exemplary, the school rated a 7. Mind you the Great schools, i searched, had reviews, that said that it pulled from the "poorest" parts of Rockwall along with the wealthiest, thus a high # of hispanics....with a large # of spanish speakers, bringing down the test scores, but they LOVED the school.

Personally, if i lived in that area, i would not want my kid at that school...i am leaving CA, for LESS diversity, and those same issues, we have in our current school...and would not want to buy a beautiful house on a piece of property, in a country setting toput my kid in a school, i am trying te get away from!!!

So I am wanting a way to put in an address, so i can see the options for schools, do they do transfers here or should i search another area? UGH!

This thread is great though and gives a great listing of schools, while i agree that test scores are not everything, but like in the place that i am looking, i want a great school, with parent envolvement, and with the numbers i saw there, that didn't look like it was happening..It is a shame that teachers get the crappy end of the deal, because of situations they have no control over, and that in turn disrupts the kids that are there, whose parents want them to succeed.....

Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

Ya I was surprised when I saw the rank of Lake Highlands High School because they usually do well.

It drives me crazy to hear about kids dropping out! I just don't understand it! It puts a huge roadblock in their future. To all parents of students out there.....please encourage your kids to stay in school!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Well, Plano got dinged because of one reason - 20 of 33 black kids at one middle school flunked the science TAKS.

Hmm,the black kids at the other 11 Plano middle schools had no problem meeting the state standard. Neither did the white or Hispanic kids at Armstrong.

So, yeah, 20 bad apples managed to trash the entire district's reputation. I'm sure their parents are proud.

By comparison, Dallas ISD had 22 SCHOOLS that were Academically Unacceptable. 22 schools versus 20 students. But you go ahead and conclude that the districts are the same.
I'm sure the parents are clueless, ignorant, and don't care... probably not the type that go to 'parent-teacher night.' How else do you end up with kids like that?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM

109 posts, read 398,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
can anyone tell me if there is a site (or post a link) that i can enter an address to see where my kids would go to school??

on the subjects of schools and while we have been looking in Rockwall, and found some areas we really liked, the school thing concerned me. One of the houses we found in Rockwall, High Pointe Estates ( it is a rental) but named the elem school as Springer, as i researched it, though exemplary, the school rated a 7. Mind you the Great schools, i searched, had reviews, that said that it pulled from the "poorest" parts of Rockwall along with the wealthiest, thus a high # of hispanics....with a large # of spanish speakers, bringing down the test scores, but they LOVED the school.

Personally, if i lived in that area, i would not want my kid at that school...i am leaving CA, for LESS diversity, and those same issues, we have in our current school...and would not want to buy a beautiful house on a piece of property, in a country setting toput my kid in a school, i am trying te get away from!!!

So I am wanting a way to put in an address, so i can see the options for schools, do they do transfers here or should i search another area? UGH!

This thread is great though and gives a great listing of schools, while i agree that test scores are not everything, but like in the place that i am looking, i want a great school, with parent envolvement, and with the numbers i saw there, that didn't look like it was happening..It is a shame that teachers get the crappy end of the deal, because of situations they have no control over, and that in turn disrupts the kids that are there, whose parents want them to succeed.....
I would have a hard time believing that you would find a high number of hispanics at ANY Rockwall school relative to other DFW areas. Rockwall is the "whitest" town I have ever seen. I lived there for a couple of years. On an average day, I could count on one hand the number of Hispanics or African Americans I saw around town. It's almost to the creepy "Stepford Wife" level. Everyone looks the same. Everyone dresses the same. Everyone goes to Lake Pointe Mega Church. Everyone lies about how quick of a drive it is to Dallas during Rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas