Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:43 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times

Advertisements

Doesn't make a difference to me, I'll be moving back in a few years anyway. Only suggestion, ban Louisiana from joining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM

78 posts, read 193,339 times
Actually I think the other states would probably support this measure so they did not have to claim Texas as being part of the USA.

You bring up valid points but I am not sure how it would break down. Canada for example really has no military budget because they know we will protect it. That is probably the reason why they can do a socialized health care system. If Texas was separate, they would need a strong military to support the Mexican Drug Cartel Invasion. Would the USA offer support in this? Hell Mexico might just invade saying we want it back hehe.

Breaking off from the USA would also probably cause a new state tax in Texas which Texan's cling to like a life raft. 30% of the population might move to Florida since their no state tax would still be in place.

Would car imports into Texas be limited to American Made Pickup Trucks or would we have a new Texas Car Manufacturer like Kia? Maybe they could have Lone Star Automobile?

Since many of the companies here have corporate offices in other states, would they pack up and move? That could wreak havoc on the economy.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
I was born, reared and raised in Texas, I would stay. My only real attachment to the U.S. today is my passport which I would willingly surrender for a Texas passport which I'm sure would prove suitable in London, at the Texas Embassy... Cantina.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPlayr View Post
Breaking off from the USA would also probably cause a new state tax in Texas which Texan's cling to like a life raft. 30% of the population might move to Florida since their no state tax would still be in place.

Any new taxes would be instead of federal income tax so it would either be a wash or possibly lower overall

Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
I'd leave, personally because a) Austin would be leveled to rubble within minutes of a declaration and b) it'd take the Mexican Drug Cartels about 30 seconds to blast through the "Army Of Texas" defenses.

Plus we'd have the Dippity-Do Douchebag as our president.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
As long as TX keeps its 0% state income tax and pro-business ethos, Dallas and Houston will be fine

Houston will continue to be world's energy industry epicenter

Suburban Dallas will continue to be a favored relocation place for corporate HQs like Exxon...and an occasional hedge fund or wealthy tax refugee from CA or NYC

But taxes come and go...most of world's smartest/wealthiest engineers will never leave SiliconValley; most of world's smartest/wealthiest financiers will never leave NYC or Greenwich

Top 1% of taxpayers care most about income tax rates, private schools quality, quality of local grub, having other like-minded folks living/working in their urban/suburban areas, and weather/topography....rest is easily arbitraged...if TX ever became tax-onerous like CA/NYC, many of top 1% would prob relocate to Geneva for tax purposes (hell, some major energy companies and wealthy Texans are already Swiss residents for tax purposes)

Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Aceplace, it seems from some of the other threads that youve started that you are confused as to why people move to Texas as opposed to other places. Is it so hard to believe that people might like it here?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Aceplace, it seems from some of the other threads that youve started that you are confused as to why people move to Texas as opposed to other places. Is it so hard to believe that people might like it here?
There may be no single explanation that would describe anyone... I'm sure there are many reasons why people move to DFW.

One or two additional conditions....

. Texas' share of the military assets would include 7% of the nuclear weapons in the current US arsenal, and enough military hardware (and personnel) to defend Texas from invasion. Also, as a member of NATO, all other NATO countries would be obligated to defend Texas if it were attacked.

. The combined state and national tax burden on Texas residents would be much, much less than the tax burden in the United States. In fact, it is most likely that Texas would not have a national income tax. No more IRS in Texas. Instead, the national Texas government would be funded through a sales tax or a value added tax.

. The Texas national government would be separate from the current state government. Texas already has a vast army of Federal workers, all of which would be rolled into a Texas national government. They would not take orders from the Texas state government in Austin, but would be under a Texas president and a Texas congress. This would allow other states, such as Oklahoma, to join the national government and still retain their state status. In fact, Mexican states such as Taumalipas or Nuevo Leon (Monterey) might be interested in joining a Texas confederation.

. Texas would become a tax haven for the top 1% wage earners in North America, exactly the people that the US President is thinking about squeezing for his welfare programs.

. Similarly, industrial and business taxes would be far lower in Texas, and Texas manufacturers would have a strong price advantage, even more so than they now enjoy. It would be enough to cause much of North America's industry to move their people and machinery to Texas.

. A Texas national government would have lower costs, because it would not be doing the things the US government is spending money on now, such as acting as the policeman of the world.

. Most importantly, Americans would have a choice as to which economic system they wanted to live under, just as Germans had a choice (for a while) as to living in communist East or capitalist West Germany.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Plus we'd have the Dippity-Do Douchebag as our president.
Some people think we already do. Not only that, he likes to drink Bud Light... gagagagaga....

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM

One news network website leads with the following... "With a $1.8T expected deficit next year,...".

Texas share of that annual deficit is 7% of 1.8 trillion, or 126 billion dollars. Per year. Divided by, say, 25 million Texans, that figure represents about $5,000 per person, or $20,000 per year for a family of 4.

Now I'm not commenting on the wisdom, or lack of it, for that deficit. But If Texas as an independent nation could avoid that outcome, it could have a far stronger economy and standard of living for its people onward into the future. That would be an advantage of a legal separation.

A Texas national government would be highly unlikely to be running such a deficit, being dominated by Republicans and moderate Democrats.

So, a significantly lower Federal tax burden may well be the incentive that people want, in order to justify a relocation. Are there any counter-incentives?

Last edited by aceplace; 08-02-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas