Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,400,505 times

Advertisements

Back to the religious aspect of this thread, what's odd to me are people that fear religion. I have to say something about this because I often see people say grace here in public and that seems to creep some people out...

But why ?

There are also people that see a cross mounted on a hill or 'In God We Trust' on a crest and formulate that to be the roots of a new Christian movement.

And we can't say the pledge and mention "one nation under God" any more ?

Have we went off the deep end.

Heck, I grew up with all these things as part of my life and I didn't run off into the woods to start my own cult. What are we afraid of ?

Maybe this dates back to the time where people were burned to death for being witches, not sure. Or perhaps there is a parallel to be drawn to the numerous gory wars that have been faught over religion...

Does it really have to be all or nothing ? Can't we acknowledge that our way of life and value system in the US is founded upon christian values, even if we do not attend church regularly.

This topic interest me because I'm old enough now to have seen a shift in the way people think about religion/faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,224,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Back to the religious aspect of this thread, what's odd to me are people that fear religion. I have to say something about this because I often see people say grace here in public and that seems to creep some people out...

But why ?

There are also people that see a cross mounted on a hill or 'In God We Trust' on a crest and formulate that to be the roots of a new Christian movement.

And we can't say the pledge and mention "one nation under God" any more ?

Have we went off the deep end.

Heck, I grew up with all these things as part of my life and I didn't run off into the woods to start my own cult. What are we afraid of ?

Maybe this dates back to the time where people were burned to death for being witches, not sure. Or perhaps there is a parallel to be drawn to the numerous gory wars that have been faught over religion...

Does it really have to be all or nothing ? Can't we acknowledge that our way of life and value system in the US is founded upon christian values, even if we do not attend church regularly.

This topic interest me because I'm old enough now to have seen a shift in the way people think about religion/faith.
I never even realized it was an issue till I began reading this forum. I guess I don't get out much. (My hometown, Lubbock, was always referred to as "the buckle" on the Bible Belt!)

Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 PM

You also have to remember that forums in general tend to present one side of the story, normally the negative one.

Maybe because you think about things alot more when your forced to write about them. That writing in turn tends to create false assumptions.

For the most part, you should really take what you read here with a grain of salt....there is no substitute for coming here and experiencing the area first hand. Heck, just look at the breadth of housing opptions that are offered here....I still find it somewhat alarming that people are reading these forums and making major decisions about where to live without actually spending some time living here.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 PM

548 posts, read 2,642,297 times
I wouldn't buy w/o looking in person, but I do feel like I at least have a starting point now, with many of the comments here. I've never even been to TX, so I would have NO idea where to begin in Dallas w/o this forum!

As to the religion posts, I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about religion, at least not on this thread! I just said I hadn't seen crosses on lawns. Not that it scared me--just that I haven't seen it.

The "god we trust thing" . It's an issue for some b/c of the separation of church and state. Same with the Pledge. I imagine you know that, but yeh...that's the issue. Would you want your children standing up and pledging "under Allah?" If it's not your belief, probably not. Same goes for everyone who isn't Christian, as well as many who are, but who believe in separation of church and state. The "christian values" thing too...there is not one sole set of "christian values"...there are all sorts of values, and people from all different religions, including various sects of Christianity can have them or not...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,735,920 times
>>For the most part, you should really take what you read here with a grain of salt....there is no substitute for coming here and experiencing the area first hand. Heck, just look at the breadth of housing opptions that are offered here....I still find it somewhat alarming that people are reading these forums and making major decisions about where to live without actually spending some time living here.<<

Being a military family, we have always known someone at the next base we got an assignment to get information about the area. This move it's difficult because we know no one in Dallas. Luckily my husband has been working there since January and has driven around and has had a helpful realtor. Getting info from this board is another aspect. I feel posters here, especially mom2 etc, have given some sage information worth considering. But yes, move to a place you will feel comfortable in and a home you like. A place you will be happy. That's what it all boils down to.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
The "god we trust thing" . It's an issue for some b/c of the separation of church and state. Same with the Pledge. I imagine you know that, but yeh...that's the issue. Would you want your children standing up and pledging "under Allah?" ..
If I moved to a Muslim country, I would probably be ok with this, but I'm in our country - my country - where I was born, one founded under christian values (uniform core values, which are a neccessity for any civilized culture). One that has thrived under the premise of christian values but now seeks a letigious state of homogenity that is more concerned with offending someone at an airport than it is at finding a solution for inner city poverty.

And 'one nation under god' does not even have to mean Jesus Christ....God can be any one of your choice, it's a free country. That's the beauty of it.

The seperation of church and state argument tends to get a little abused.

Our forefathers never intended for it to be taken to this extreme.

There are some that simply want to erase anything that makes us an 'individual' and reflects a definitive american culture.

I came from CA, so I have seen first hand the degree to which this argument has been abused. Historic landmarks removed from hills because they symbolized christianity.

We wouldnt want to offend anyone with our heritage now would we.

Maybe one day we can all be the same color, androgenous, pretend to be from the same place, dress the same, say the same politically correct things to one another.

It's coming. Maybe that's what I really like about Texans, they are proud of where they've been and not apologizing to anyone for who they are.

And hey, if your wondering, I haven't been to church since I was 10....some things we're doing to ourselves are simply counter productive as a society.

I have kids, it worries me.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 AM

548 posts, read 2,642,297 times
Well, I resectfully disagree. We are not a Christian nation. There are many Christians living here. Always have been, but we do have separation of church and state (mostly). I don't think it's abused. I don't think it's enforced enough.

Your argument contradicts your point to me. You say one day "Maybe one day we can all be the same color, androgenous, pretend to be from the same place, dress the same, say the same politically correct things to one another. " and yet you want everyone to do things your way, be based on one religion. I live in an area which is not very "christian". There are many colors, many nationalities, many views on many subjects, many religions represented here. Being religiously diverse does not make us all the same.

I also really dislike the "our forefathers never intended" arguments. You don't know what they would have thought any more than anyone else does. They also supported slavery--so maybe they didn't intend for that to end either.

I have kids....keeping religion out of schools does not worry me. It allows each person to decide which religion and how much of it to expose our kids to.

By the way, I'm proud of where I've been and who I am too. I think most people are, Christian or not.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,130,452 times
I believe the "Maybe one day we can all be the same color, androgenous, pretend to be from the same place, dress the same, say the same politically correct things to one another. " comment was meant to be sarcastic.

But Religious debates should be carried out in the Politics and Other Controversies sub forum....
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM

2,268 posts, read 7,309,010 times
Quote:
But Religious debates should be carried out in the Politics and Other Controversies sub forum....
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Hey, who's the Moderator here?

GoPadge is correct. If you want to debate religion, this thread will be promptly closed or moved to the other forum.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM

I know, we'll stop here.

GoPadge is correct though, my comment was meant to be sarcastic.

Forums are definitely not the best vehicle to discuss things this sensitive.

I apologize for opening this Pandora's Box...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: