Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM

46 posts, read 161,852 times

Advertisements

I have yet another question relating to our first house. Please don't be tired of me, yet. My husband is researching for home insurance and here are our questions:

1. Should we get flood insurance? Our house is just west of Hwy 75, close to Allen Outlet. The area is suppose to be low-mod flood risk from the internet.

2. Any recommendations for a good home insurance company/agent?

3. Any other suggestions for shopping and selecting home insurance coverage?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
My $0.02 is - always get flood insurance. There's nothing home insurers love more than coming up with ways to claim any water damage is "flood" related.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
If your in a flood zone your lender will require that have it. If your not it's your option. Are there any creeks nearby or are you in a low lying area. You need to somewhat survey the area to determine if it is a worth wise investment or not.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM

102 posts, read 429,867 times
Flood insurance is relatively cheap. It's up to you how much coverage you want to purchase. But know this, if you EVER have water that "rises up" (insurance language) from the ground, for ANY reason, your homeowner coverage WILL NOT cover you. This includes rainfall, creeks overflowing, storm drains backed up, water main breaks, or just about any other scenario you can think of that would cause water to rise up and enter your home.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I disagree with all the above unless you will be very near a creek. Find a good insurance person you trust & talk to them about flood insurance.

Very few places in this area actually need it. JMO

Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
We've been with USAA for a long time and they're excellent, though you'll have to be associated with the military to get it. We pay about $110 per year for flood insurance.

I definitely recommend flood insurance around here. I'm in the 75013 zip code as well (just off of Bethany and Alma) and this area gets occasional heavy downpours. That, combined with our clay soil, can present water runoff problems. We don't live near a creek and our yard is reasonably sloped away from the home, but we still needed to install a dry creek + french drain along the side yard to channel water away from the house because that was an area where water was prone to standing.

Many homeowner policies consider water runoff and mudflow from heavy rains to be flood issues and won't cover it unless you have additional flood insurance. I do recognize that no two policies and agencies are alike so it's possible there are exceptions to this norm - but never assume it's automatically covered.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM

34 posts, read 128,733 times
Since u have the corner plot,i dont think water will stay in ur plot,why cant you just visit ur plot after a rain? I am saying this bcoz its raining very badly here now...Is there a creek nearby? Any my 2 cents.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I disagree with all the above unless you will be very near a creek. Find a good insurance person you trust & talk to them about flood insurance.

Very few places in this area actually need it. JMO
Tell that to the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people that didn't think they needed flood insurance last year when Hurricane Ike came through. I'm not talking about the wind damage, or even rain entering through damaged roofs. But homes and basements (yes, there are a few basements in Texas) that were flooded due to heavy rains and storm water rising up and flooding their homes.

A good insurance person, which you recommend, will encourage flood insurance. That way, when I get called out to adjust your flooded property, I can say, congratulations Mr. Homeowner, you will be getting a check to cover your flooded home. Instead of having to say, I'm sorry Mr. Homeowner, your homeowners policy doesn't cover rising water, so you will not be receiving a check.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
If you were near the coast I would agree with you but there was very little damage here in DFW from IKE. There has not been one person get on here and tell a story of being flooded out from the hurricane.

About the only people around here who need it back up to creeks.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM

How about Lufkin? Is that far enough from the coast? My brother in law has a home in a typical neighorhood that flooded during Ike. No creek around. He didn't have flood insurance because of this kind of thinking. He called me to see if there was anything I could do for him. Sorry. I'm not gonna jeopardize my license and livelihood because he is too hard headed to buy flood insurance. Besides that, I didn't work for the same company where he had his insurance. Or what about Tyler, Longview, or even Texarkana? Are they far enough away fom the coast? All these areas experienced flooding to various degrees. Just because Ike's path didn't come through DFW, don't think it can't happen this far inland. It can. Hey, if you know you're not ever gonna be flooded, don't buy the insurance. Nobody's forcing you. I'm just sayin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: