U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM

165 posts, read 510,747 times

Advertisements

Ok so we are really hoping for Denton since that is where my wife really wants to go to school. But I will more than likely get a job closer to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Now I know that's a huge area and it will all depend on where the job is located but lets say I get a job in Ft. Worth close to the center of town. Where would be a reasonably safe and cheap place to live? Would it be feasable to find a place in between my job and Denton so she can go to school? I hate to limit ourselves to one particular area of the metroplex because if a good job opportunity comes along I want to be in a position to take it, but if she really wants TWU than we need to make it work some how.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM

394 posts, read 1,133,166 times
Come on down/over and rent for awhile. I think renting in a city like Arlington (Euless, Grand Prairie, Bedford. etc.) would allow for you to see a lot of the greater metro area from Dallas to Ft. Worth. If you are looking to buy, I'd advise that renting is an extremely low risk option and will give you the time and freedom to develop your own impressions and make your own decisions.

-Eric

Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,611,190 times
I second the renting. But you might want to look at Lewisville along I35. Not a bad commute for her and not bad for you to head to Dallas. If you do get a job in FW then it's not entirely a horrible commute.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah we will rent to start with. Kinda have to until we can sell our house in Indiana anyway. Lewisville sounds like a real good option. What's the average rent prices there.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,952,061 times
I would say Roanoke, Keller, Flower Mound areas that way if you work in Fort Worth the commute might be easier.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Seems to be a lot of jobs in the Plano area. How long would the drive be from Denton to Plano be on a daily basis?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,671,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Seems to be a lot of jobs in the Plano area. How long would the drive be from Denton to Plano be on a daily basis?
Split the difference and go with Lewisville or even Corinth to be a wee bit closer to Denton. Going to Denton won't be the problem but coming in from Denton/Lewisville and such will be where the traffic is. You can get to Plano from Lewisville fairly easy now w/ 190 and 121 depending on where the job would be in Plano. Since she may have the late classes and such I'd be closer to school than I would work right now since you would just be renting. I wouldn't do Denton and commute to Plano although there are people that do. I would not even suggest to look at the mid-cities (Arlington, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Irving or that area). Too far of a commute for your wife to school and if she has to stay late for a project or something....... NO WAY!

Another thing to consider and this is why I'd rent for awhile. She may end up having to be in Dallas at the TWU campus there to finish up her nursing degree.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 08-12-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,659,294 times
I say move to Rowlett, cause I live there. I think momof2dfw will back me up on this one. Just get a helicopter and fly to wherever you need to then you don't have to worry about all of the cars. Seriously, just rent for a while, even if you have to put stuff into storage. They only way you will get to know an area is to rent for a while and get a feel for these places.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM

77,306 posts, read 90,005,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Come on down/over and rent for awhile. I think renting in a city like Arlington (Euless, Grand Prairie, Bedford. etc.) would allow for you to see a lot of the greater metro area from Dallas to Ft. Worth. If you are looking to buy, I'd advise that renting is an extremely low risk option and will give you the time and freedom to develop your own impressions and make your own decisions.

-Eric
wow, Euless, Bedford, etc would be a hell of commute to Denton. To keep as close as you can to the 1/2 way mark, look at Lewisville, Corinth, Roanoke, F. Mound or Highland Village as starters as well as Argyle. Plano, or any area south of DFW would be crazy.

Nita

Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 PM

36 posts, read 74,179 times
Look at Savannah. It is a neighborhood off 380, north of Dallas. There are homes here to rent and it is not bad both to Denton and Plano from here. They have a web site I believe under SavannahTexas I believe. A lot of apartments will either make you sign a long lease or make you pay more rent for the place. If you break a lease here in Texas, it is major bad news. It really helps to rent till you know for sure where you will work due to traffic, tolls, etc. Let me know if you need any other help. We are recently relocated here too and learned a lot so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas