U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM

11 posts, read 114,728 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (no kids) should be moving to the Dallas area for a few years for my job. My office is in Irving (near the airport). We plan to move to the NE part of Dallas, just not sure where? Pro's Con's of the above areas, any place else we should look?

Our budget is around $225 to $250k for a house. We enjoy the outdoors, have two dogs, I race motocross, both enjoy going to orchestra concerts etc.

We enjoy being close by to the stores and places to go out.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 PM

709 posts, read 3,304,310 times
Considering you will be working in Irving, I would consider the Valley Ranch/Coppell area. Both are very close to malls, I35, 114, 121 all near airport. Cowboys practice in the Valley Ranch area. Carrollton or Lewisville would be my other options as neither are too far from Irving. I'm not real familiar with the Grapevine area as far as housing but I think it is becoming an up and coming area for housing. South Lake as well. Lewisville, Flower Mound, Grapevine are very close to airport and are close to lake. All of the above is easily traveled by car. LBJ/635, 121 are major highways and George Bush is a major tollway that travels all most of the above.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 PM

another thought ... the section of Carrollton that is between I35 and 121 Tollway has housing that is in your price range. Indian Creek, Coyote Ridge are both located in this section. Both are located on golf course.

Other areas in Carrollton to consider.... Rosemeade, Frankford area near I35,
Subdivisions... Homestead, Castle Hills (although I think CH's are fairly pricey homes), for that matter Coyote Ridge may be more than the $250,000 range. However, it never hurts to look. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 21,380,843 times
I personally don't know much about the Colony.
I like Plano and Frisco (live in Plano, work in Frisco) Good housing, lots of amenities, low crime rate.
Carrollton-There have been those who were pretty negative about living in Carrollton-not sure if that applies to all areas.
I am not real familiar with the northeastern suburbs, but I would think there would be some other possibilites for you close to Irving.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:57 AM

595 posts, read 2,580,596 times
We have lived in The Colony for about 22 years. Right now the biggest complaint I have is the traffic. We are a town that has just a few ways to get in and out and we have the folks from Frisco and Little Elm who also have to use our roads. I don't have to drive in and out during rush hour but I know it takes up to 45 mintues on a bad day just to get out on Hwy 121. I don't think I would live here if I didn't have kids. There are not a lot of places to eat....or shop. The lake is a great plus if you have a boat or enjoy the shore.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,851,485 times
I'm in central Plano, and I'd think twice before accepting a position in Irving. Traffic on the Tollway is pretty much stop and go in the morning. A normal 20 minute drive can, even without an accident, easily take 40 minutes. And that just gets you to downtown. You could take the George Bush to 183 and backtrack on 183, but that would probably take you just as long or longer.

Either way you would be looking at roughly two hours in your car, on top of a 9 hour day at the office. Throw in an accident and you can easily spend 1/2 your day away from home. I'd rather live closer to my job, save myself a ton of money from gas and tolls, and have more time at home. Which is why I live in Plano, I'm 4 miles from my office. Back in winter when we had snow on the ground it only took me 15 minutes to get to the office.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,106,724 times
If you use the search engine you will be able to find out everything that has been posted about these places which is extensive. But working in Irving I'd avoid Frisco and in Plano I'd stay west of 75/Central Expwy.

Carrollton - no. Sure there might be a small pocket of a nice neighborhood way up on the far north end in the Lewisville ISD but take a tour thru the rest of the city. Not appealing at all and I grew up there and my folks still live there. Hmm, wanna buy their house? It is for sale. Yes a lot of the shopping centers have seen the major grocery stores close up and everything else fall behind it. There is no entertainment, restaurants or shops in Carrollton. The only area that has a decent selection is the intersection of Hebron and Josey. Other than that please take a drive all the way down Josey Lane and look around real good.

Frisco - long commute to Irving. Traffic can be a nightmare. Lots of shopping, restaurants, entertainment and such but it also brings in a lot of traffic. I'll be in Frisco this weekend on a campout. Yes, we are going camping in Frisco. At this park called Pizza Hut Hanging out w/ the grills, rv's, margarita's, etc.

Plano - stay to west of 75/Central and closer to the Dallas North Tollway and you are still going to have a lot of traffic. Look at a map real good and study the routes available. Not too many alternate routes to pick from to travel between Plano and Irving.

The Colony - uh, no. Carrollton looks like paradise in comparison.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,888,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
My wife and I (no kids) should be moving to the Dallas area for a few years for my job. My office is in Irving (near the airport). We plan to move to the NE part of Dallas, just not sure where? Pro's Con's of the above areas, any place else we should look?

Our budget is around $225 to $250k for a house. We enjoy the outdoors, have two dogs, I race motocross, both enjoy going to orchestra concerts etc.

We enjoy being close by to the stores and places to go out.

Thanks!
That's not NE Dallas - Lakewood and Lake Highlands are--great areas with trees and long family histories.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 PM

Carrollton is not all like the south end... I too grew up in Carrollton-Farmers Branch area. I recently moved out of south end (ex husbands house) and yes I didn't want my child living in that area. North end is great. Rosemeade, Frankford, Hebron, and far north Josey are nice areas.

Homestead, Castle Hills, Indian Creek are just a few of the newest neighborhoods I know the name of. There are some nice areas just north of George Bush off of Old Denton that are established but very nice neighborhoods. Country Place is still a very respected neighborhood with golf course and pools, but that is as far south as I would go. It is on the edge of Addison. If you don't have kids some of the homes in Addison are very nice and they have access to the athletic facilities/club which belongs to the city.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,106,724 times
Please drive down the streets and alleys of the areas around Josey and Rosemeade. It ain't so great. When the city allowes people to put large metal buildings in the backyard that fill it completely and stick a window a/c in so that the extended family can live in it................ no thanks. And yes the city knows about it yet there is nothing they can do about it. Unlike other cities the city of Carrollton has no limit on how many people can live in a home and even if they did it would not be enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas