U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 04:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,679,722 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Lakewood, and I went to Woodrow. It was a great experience for me. I took mostly AP classes and was well prepared for college. This was 10 years ago, so back then, the football team wasn't that great! But they are doing really well lately.

Whomever told you the schools in Lakewood are within walking distance, isn't totally correct. I grew up on the M-streets. To walk from there to J.L. Long or Woodrow would have taken at least 30 minutes, probably longer. If you live in Hollywood Heights, or Swiss, then yes, it is walkable.

Lakewood is very kid-friendly. When I was a child there, it was occupied by lots and lots of older folks. But as they grew older and moved on, younger generations bought their homes and remodeled them. It's amazing to me how young Lakewood actually is now. My parents still live there, so I'm over there all the time.

There are tons of stores and restaurants, too. Greenville Avenue has great local places like Snuffer's, Daddy Jack's, Terilli's, Dodies, Aw Shucks. For shopping, there is Mockingbird Station, which has a Gap, Urban Outfitters, and lots of local stores. Then, just down 75 is Northpark Center. Or if you like high, high end retail, you could stay on Mockingbird and go to Highland Park Village: Jimmy Choo, Chanel, Gucci, etc.

Lakewood is definitely not going through initial renovations. Many of the homes have already been renovated, if not torn down so a McMansion could be built in it's place. I think you could easily find a home that needs no work, if you're willing to spend the money.

I love Lakewood. I grew up there, and my husband and I lived there until we bought our first house. Then we moved to LH, because we could get more house for the money. I always thought we'd move back to Lakewood, but now I love my area just as much! And it's only a few minutes from Lakewood, so it's all good!

Good luck!
Rate this post positively

Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 PM

109 posts, read 579,281 times
Looks very very nice.... and I did look up some homes in Lakewood... $300,000 for a 2,000 square foot home ....and the houses are older (but with nice architectural details). Kinda pricey there, and that is one of the many reasons we are looking to leave Virginia.

In Garland or Richardson or some other places that look just as nice... I've seen homes for $230,000 - $250,000 for 2,500 square feet and larger, and much newer, which translates into less fixing up stuff for me.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 AM

92 posts, read 735,394 times
But, then you have to live in Garland.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:49 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,618,303 times
Easy does it Dazed ;-)

But I agree, you can't compare Garland/Richardson to Lakewood. Completely different places.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,746,273 times
While I believe I understand you intent, I disagree on the wording.

You can and should evaluate every neighborhood to see how well it meets your basic criteria. (Distance from work, home size, price, crime, schools, restaurants, shopping, etc.) Once you have a reasonable number of neighborhoods you should compare them. What are the advantages to living in one over living in another?

One of my biggest complaints about the D Magazine article you posted in another thread, "Rating the Suburbs" is that it ignores Dallas. The Dallasites should be up in arms. My interpretation of the article is that there is a huge choice of areas to live in, and Dallas isn't one of them. Why is it excluded? It's like trying to base a decision of what car to buy, when the only article you can find is titled "Best rated imports".

I skimmed D Magazine's archives going back as far as 2003, and while I found both the 2006 and 2004 edition of "Rate the Suburbs" I didn't see an article rating Dallas' neighborhoods. Why?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,618,303 times
Not sure why they ignored the Dallas burbs. Maybe they are using the article as a marketing angle to attract readers outside of Dallas proper by showing they can think outside the box and acknowledge these other areas exist.

If you read the other article I posted a link to, the article itself (Real Estate related) focuses almost entirely on Dallas and the inner city gentrification that's happening there.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,746,273 times
And I guess that's something they'll have to decide on. What definition of Dallas are they going to use? Dallas City or Dallas Metro. I believe they have decided to focus on the Metro aspect. (Based on just the type of article you posted, and on the line of text directly under their trademark "D" logo on their webpage, "Dallas / Fort Worth".) I just wish they will be as through as I'd like them to be. Give us all the information, and not just a part of it.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 4,927,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
You might want to do your research before you stereotype an area. There are several recognized school south of the Trinity. Overall, Area VI is one of the highest ranking areas in the district.
Please note my use of the word "some." It means "some." It does not mean the completely opposite word that you somehow inferred, "all."

I've been to many schools to speak.

South of the Trinity, the average DISD school is in poor shape. Some are still great, especially in central south Dallas -- in between 35 and 45. But the only schools I've ever been to that the teachers just didn't care and couldn't speak proper English was in south Dallas. It happens too often. Some of those kids don't have a chance.

I had a special ed kid **** in his pants and the stuff fell on the floor. The teachers just walked around it and chastised the kid for it. I left, told the principal, who didn't seem to think it was any big deal, then left the school. Even in the "honors" classrooms, the teachers only spoke in hip-hop slang to the kids. They don't have a chance.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,005,346 times
A story and pics about the recent Lakewood neighborhood poker fundraiser:

http://lakewood-now.net/view/article/874 (broken link)

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM

92 posts, read 735,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Please note my use of the word "some." It means "some." It does not mean the completely opposite word that you somehow inferred, "all."

I've been to many schools to speak.

South of the Trinity, the average DISD school is in poor shape. Some are still great, especially in central south Dallas -- in between 35 and 45. But the only schools I've ever been to that the teachers just didn't care and couldn't speak proper English was in south Dallas. It happens too often. Some of those kids don't have a chance.

I had a special ed kid **** in his pants and the stuff fell on the floor. The teachers just walked around it and chastised the kid for it. I left, told the principal, who didn't seem to think it was any big deal, then left the school. Even in the "honors" classrooms, the teachers only spoke in hip-hop slang to the kids. They don't have a chance.
Having worked in Area VI for four years, I can tell you that what you found was the exception and not the rule. I was very impressed with the level of professionalism with the teachers and the administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas