U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 PM

2,259 posts, read 9,105,171 times

Advertisements

Lately the Lakewood area has gotten pushed to the front of the line of desirable areas move among posters here. I would like to know more about Lakewood. We have semi-narrowed our search of homes, but I'm intrigued.

Schools: J.P. Long Middle school and Woodrow Wilson. Are these schools walkable if you live in the Lakewood area? I would like to know the biggest issues facing these schools. They must have something going right with them considering they have received some accolades among posters on this board. Does anyone actually have children in these schools?

Neighborhoods: Will I find kids out playing during the day? Is there a sense of community - like block parties etc? I do admit that when I think of this area, I think of more of the older set / empty nester's occupying the homes there who will be crabby to my kids stepping on their lawns. I am also a conservative thinking person that does go to church. I will probably put a flag out but not a cross.

Stores/Shopping/Restaurants: What's in the area? Are things close by? Where do you guys get your groceries? Are the restaurants chains, mom and pop, eclectic? Is it easy to get around, traffic wise?

Age of houses: I've lived in old houses before, there is a tremendous amount of upkeep and repairs associated w/older homes. Having been there done that and wanting to keep my weekends open for fun rather than home repair, what is the general era of the houses in that area? Zip codes would also be helpful. Is the neighborhood going through the initial renovations or a tear down, rebuild phase?

Thanks --

Last edited by Spree; 04-26-2007 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively

Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 PM

14,872 posts, read 39,039,316 times
Schools: J.P. Long Middle school and Woodrow Wilson. Are these schools walkable if you live in the Lakewood area? I would like to know the biggest issues facing these schools. They must have something going right with them considering they have received some accolades among posters on this board. Does anyone actually have children in these schools?
I know someone at Wilson and they have had some good students there. Their football team has made it to the state playoffs for the last few years and attracted a lot of attention from colleges and recruiters. One of the more recent grads that was a star on the football team got offered a full paid scholarship to Baylor and they even said they would give his brother a full scholarship that did NOT play sports. I'd just recommend going by and visiting them. On the Dallas Morning News website (dallasnews.com) you can pull each school thru the sports page and find grads that have made it in a variety of areas.

Neighborhoods: Will I find kids out playing during the day? Is there a sense of community - like block parties etc? I do admit that when I think of this area, I think of more of the older set / empty nester's occupying the homes there who will be crabby to my kids stepping on their lawns. I am also a conservative thinking person that does go to church. I will probably put a flag out but not a cross.
Community? OMYGOSH! YES! There are TONS of young families living there as well as professional singles. I know of one that is 30ish, single and been renting in Lakewood for about 6 years now and even said the other day he wishes he would have bought a few years ago as now he is almost priced out. It is a very laid back kind of group that is probably more connected w/ community and city affairs than any other area in the metroplex. Of course there are some of the original home owners and older people that live there that grew up there and could not imagine living any other place. Search the Dallas Morning News on articles about the area. Go out to White Rock Lake on a Saturday or Sunday. Stop at Ozona's for brunch. Visit the Casa Linda shopping center (Casa Linda Bakery is a Dallas institution). It is a very vibrant area.

Stores/Shopping/Restaurants: What's in the area? Are things close by? Where do you guys get your groceries? Are the restaurants chains, mom and pop, eclectic? Is it easy to get around, traffic wise?
Casa Linda shopping center (Is it an Albertsons?). The Casa Linda Cafeteria (another institution), Fat Daddy's, El Fenix, etc. More mom & pop places than other areas of the metroplex. Then you are close to the shops over at Old Town (Whole Foods) on Greenville. This area is so easy to just mesh right into.

Age of houses: I've lived in old houses before, there is a tremendous amount of upkeep and repairs associated w/older homes. Having been there done that and what to keep my weekends open for fun rather than home repair, what is the general era of the houses in that area? Zip codes would also be helpful. Is the neighborhood going through the initial renovations or a tear down, rebuild phase?
There are plenty of the old houses. If your an investor looking to buy, fix and flip you are WAY past the time to do so in this market. I love the old houses and some of the great architects of Dallas built in this area. Then there are plenty of the new builds and lots that had tear-downs and McMansions built. This got the neighbors up in arms and now most of the area is pretty strict on what can be built and the size. They don't want people coming in and tearing down a house that fits on the lot and building something that takes up the entire lot. For zipcodes try 75214 & 75218.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:04 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,005,346 times
Actually it's J. L. Long -- I can put you in touch with some parents if you want to PM me. I am going to Woodrow's 50th annual musical this weekend. We are having a reunion for all former cast members. It's just like family. And we have people flying in from CA, NY, FL, you name it...there are a lot of people who never miss a show. I've seen or been in 34 of them!

The parents are so involved you cannot keep them out. Going to the grocery store you have to make sure you look halfway decent because you will see someone you grew up with or their parents. Or one of your old teachers.

I will try to post some of the info on the schools -- but you might search for some of my earlier posts by entering the school names.

Well, I must also admit I am going to the musical at Woodrow tonight and Sunday matinee -- so I don't have time to repost now...

Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM

10,566 posts, read 22,489,889 times
We lived in 75218 for five years. We finally sold our vintage 1947 home when the upkeep became too much. Between huge trees always needing a tree surgeon, tree roots in the sewer pipes, old termite damange, and having to rip out and redo plumbing because the "antique" fixtures were no longer available, we just couldn't take it any more...

The Albertson's in Casa Linda is gross! Hubby saw a rat (not a mouse) in there one night. We could walk to Albertons's, but I drove to the Kroger in Lake Highlands instead.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:43 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,927,157 times
Yes. The schools are walkable. (I take that to mean you can/and people do walk to them?)

Yes, you will find kids out playing during the day. There are block parties and the sense of community is certainly tight. Some folks refer to my particular street at the "newlyweds and nearlydeads." There is a mix of both old and young here. Everybody tends to look out for one another though. There are people who go to church, and those who don't. No one is really judged by it either way. My street had a few "crosses on the lawn" during Easter.

The main stores in Lakewood are at the intersection of Live Oak, Gaston and Abrams. It's hard to miss. There's an old '20s - 30's movie theater with a tall neon tower/sign that says LAKEWOOD. It's also right across from the Lakewood Country Club. It's really cool.

http://www.lakewoodtheater.com/graphics/mainpics.jpg (broken link)

I think there are only two chains in that area -- Cantina Laredo and Carrabas. But there's not many of those restaurants anyway. As far as variety, there is Matt's (Mexican food -- great patio), the old Lakewood Theater, (and a live jazz bar above it, but the name escapes me, Scallini's (Italian food), the C o c k and Bull (pub/with gourmet influences (http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97320&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&i tem_id=19843 - broken link)), and York Street (uber foodie gourmet), and then just down the street is the Tipperary Inn (http://www.tippinn.com/ - broken link) (an Irish pub where everything has been imported from Dublin. Everything.). Then over on Skillman is La Calle Doce which has Seafood with a Mexican flare. It's very good too. Goodness. You're making me hungry. People on the east side have particular disdain for chains.

I usually go to the Tom Thumb on Mockingbird and Abrams. They're building a Whole Foods at the intersection of Gaston, Live Oak and Abrams. It's gonna be big. I've never been to the Casa Linda Albertsons. However, I don't like any Albertson's store. They don't take very good care of the place.

Traffic isn't an issue.

75214 is the main Lakewood zip code.

Yes, most of the houses are old. Hollywood Heights has a lot of 1910-30s homes. Cute little cottages built of brick or stone.
http://ntreisphotos.ntreis.net/media/86/hr2345886-11.jpg (broken link)
ABOVE: Hollywood Heights Cottage

A little further south is Swiss Avenue. It has circa 1910-20 mansions. And I mean 8-10,000 square foot mansions.

Above: Swiss Avenue Mansions

Swiss Avenue is next to Munger Place. It was Dallas' first "suburb." It has a lot of prairie style homes. They are mostly well kept, and charming.

Munger Place Home on Tremont

Lakewood also has its own style of house called "Lakewood Spanish Eclectic."

This area of town is interesting, because you can tell the age of an area based on how close it is to downtown. Like rings on a tree -- the closer to downtown, the older the houses. Moving north from Hollywood Heights you have some more houses built in the 30's - 40s. Up around Sondra the houses begin to be '50s stock. Good looking all brick houses, the vast majority of which have been renovated.

Around Lakewood Elementary you'll find a lot of brand new houses. These are the same homes you see being built in the Park Cities, with the same amenities. They are scattered throughout the neighborhood, but that's the highest concentration of them I've seen. You can get a completely decked out beautiful new 4000 square foot house for around 859. Additionally, in Lakewood Heights, a lot of the homes have been torn down and replaced with "McMansions." I'm not too upset because the original homes there weren't all that nice to begin with. But others may disagree with me.

ABOVE: Typical New Lakewood House

There are portions of Lakewood that are conservation/historical districts. That keeps them from getting torn down. Or if they do get torn down, something similar has to go in its place. Thankfully the cutest portions of our neighborhood are protected.

Moderator cut: images removed per copyright owner's request

Last edited by Marka; 01-07-2010 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 AM

2,259 posts, read 9,105,171 times
Thank you for the information. I'm glad to see that the area is more family friendly than I thought. Back in December when I was visiting for a few short days, I just got in the car and started driving. I do believe that I was in the Lakewood area over by White Rock. Back then I didn't know about specific areas.

The pictures are awesome hamilton ... I've looked online and have seen the Swiss Ave. houses, I didn't realize that was considered Lakewood. I am going to be in Dallas in a couple of weeks. I will go by the schools and possibly have my realtor pull some listings in the 75214 area. And thank you for the restaurant suggestions, always a good thing to have no matter where you live.

Also wondering more about the middle and high schools. Is it the DISD administration that give the DISD schools a bad rap, or just the areas that the DISD districts pull from? Or a combination of both?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:38 AM

1,519 posts, read 4,927,157 times
G5, I know you were looking in the HPISD also. The schools in HP are excellent. I don't think they can be beat. However, Woodrow Wilson is a fine high school where students can excel. But it does have its fair share of a rough crowd.

You'll also find more diversity -- economically and racially at Woodrow. Which I think can be a good thing.

Some schools in the DISD, regrettably south of the Trinity, are run very poorly. Even the teachers don't speak correct English. It is sad. I think they give the DISD a bad rap.

However, Woodrow Wilson and Long are two of the best schools in the DISD. Also, remember that the DISD is home to the number 1 school in the United States -- Townview magnet. Highland Park is #10 in the U.S.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 04-27-2007 at 08:54 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 03:26 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,005,346 times
Well, I got the the Woodrow musical late and ended up in the rafters, it was so packed. Those kids really do a professional job - you really won't believe it until you see it...and everybody knows everybody. A lot of chill bumps all around, it was transcendant.

Here's a post from another thread which may help you. Which weekend will you be in Dallas? Moderator cut: soliciting Also each weekend for the next several weeks there are home tours of different neighborhoods. The most famous is the Swiss Ave Tour on Mother's Day. Some of the Long and Woodrow choral and band groups will be perfoming.

{Post:

The M Streets are served by Stonewall Jackson http://www.dallasisd.org/schools/es/i_l/jackson/ (broken link) (everyone calls it 'Stonewall'). It is a blue-ribbon school, earned recognized status, recently named to the Texas Business and Education Coalition's Honor Roll and named one of the Best Elementaries in Texas by Texas Monthly. It's a bit smaller than some schools (the facility is not that large). The principal and a teacher have both won 'best in district' awards recently. parent comments: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/parents/tx/1911

Lakewood Elementary http://www.dallasisd.org/schools/rea...cfm?id_con=111 (broken link) has a 200 person waiting list to transfer (you can get in automatically if you move in the district). It's recognized, also named Best in Texas by Texas Monthly, recently beat the prestigious St. Mark's private school in a competition, and has just about the highest parental volunteer rate possible. Its 30 year old annual home tour http://www.lakewoodhomefestival.com/ raises hundreds of thousands of dollars. parent comments: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/parents/tx/1854

Lakewood is more social than Stonewall, and has big old money mansions. Stonewall is almost exclusively newer, upper-middle class. But in the East Dallas/Lakewood area, you don't have to worry about such things because no one really cares. People will only ask about your job if they run out of other topics.

The middle school, J.L. Long http://www.jllong.com/home.htm (broken link) http://www.dallasisd.org/schools/ms/long/ (broken link) , has a more diverse student body and the upper-echelon students do well. Long consistently takes top honors in science and math, having been state champions the last few years. They have also beaten St. Mark's in math competition.

Woodrow Wilson High School (Newsweek Top Schools in the Nation, DMagazine Best Comprehensive Dallas High School) is the crown jewel of the district - not enough time to explain now, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow...l_%28Dallas%29

http://www.woodrowwildcats.org/

http://www.wwwildcats.org/

http://woodrowwildcats.org/historic_woodrow.pdf (broken link)

http://www.wwhsdallas.com/

The graduating class is around 250 and usually pulls in about $4 million in scholarships. The upper level AP (20 courses) is like a private school inside a public school - the classes are small and the teachers are great and many have been there for decades. The school has an 80-year history of excellence and its pride and spirit are stellar as there are fourth-generation students there now. And the extracurricular activities are unrivaled. For instance, the Mock Trial Team went to state for the 7th straight year and the annual musical is celebrating its 50th year production at the end of this month. parent comments:
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/parents/tx/1932

I can put you in touch with some parents if you wish. Really though, just ask a Realtor who works exclusively in Lakewood / East Dallas. They usually advertise these schools as a selling feature.

Here are the attendance zones: http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/indexzones.htm (broken link)

Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 PM

11,878 posts, read 34,577,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Yes. The schools are walkable. (I take that to mean you can/and people do walk to them?)

Yes, you will find kids out playing during the day. There are block parties and the sense of community is certainly tight. Some folks refer to my particular street at the "newlyweds and nearlydeads." There is a mix of both old and young here. Everybody tends to look out for one another though. There are people who go to church, and those who don't. No one is really judged by it either way. My street had a few "crosses on the lawn" during Easter.

The main stores in Lakewood are at the intersection of Live Oak, Gaston and Abrams. It's hard to miss. There's an old '20s - 30's movie theater with a tall neon tower/sign that says LAKEWOOD. It's also right across from the Lakewood Country Club. It's really cool.

http://www.lakewoodtheater.com/graphics/mainpics.jpg (broken link)

I think there are only two chains in that area -- Cantina Laredo and Carrabas. But there's not many of those restaurants anyway. As far as variety, there is Matt's (Mexican food -- great patio), the old Lakewood Theater, (and a live jazz bar above it, but the name escapes me, Scallini's (Italian food), the C o c k and Bull (pub/with gourmet influences (http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97320&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&i tem_id=19843 - broken link)), and York Street (uber foodie gourmet), and then just down the street is the Tipperary Inn (an Irish pub where everything has been imported from Dublin. Everything.). Then over on Skillman is La Calle Doce which has Seafood with a Mexican flare. It's very good too. Goodness. You're making me hungry. People on the east side have particular disdain for chains.

I usually go to the Tom Thumb on Mockingbird and Abrams. They're building a Whole Foods at the intersection of Gaston, Live Oak and Abrams. It's gonna be big. I've never been to the Casa Linda Albertsons. However, I don't like any Albertson's store. They don't take very good care of the place.

Traffic isn't an issue.

75214 is the main Lakewood zip code.

Yes, most of the houses are old. Hollywood Heights has a lot of 1910-30s homes. Cute little cottages built of brick or stone.
http://ntreisphotos.ntreis.net/media/86/hr2345886-11.jpg (broken link)
ABOVE: Hollywood Heights Cottage

A little further south is Swiss Avenue. It has circa 1910-20 mansions. And I mean 8-10,000 square foot mansions.
http://www.dougnewby.com/images/body/neighborhoods/munger_place_and_swiss_avenue/swiss/5439_swiss_1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.dougnewby.com/images/body/neighborhoods/munger_place_and_swiss_avenue/swiss/5105_swiss_1.jpg (broken link)
Above: Swiss Avenue Mansions

Swiss Avenue is next to Munger Place. It was Dallas' first "suburb." It has a lot of prairie style homes. They are mostly well kept, and charming.

http://www.dougnewby.com/images/body/neighborhoods/munger_place_and_swiss_avenue/munger_place/tremont/5019_tremont_1.jpg (broken link)
Munger Place Home on Tremont

Lakewood also has its own style of house called "Lakewood Spanish Eclectic."
http://gilglover.com/lakewd06.jpg (broken link)

This area of town is interesting, because you can tell the age of an area based on how close it is to downtown. Like rings on a tree -- the closer to downtown, the older the houses. Moving north from Hollywood Heights you have some more houses built in the 30's - 40s. Up around Sondra the houses begin to be '50s stock. Good looking all brick houses, the vast majority of which have been renovated.

Around Lakewood Elementary you'll find a lot of brand new houses. These are the same homes you see being built in the Park Cities, with the same amenities. They are scattered throughout the neighborhood, but that's the highest concentration of them I've seen. You can get a completely decked out beautiful new 4000 square foot house for around 859. Additionally, in Lakewood Heights, a lot of the homes have been torn down and replaced with "McMansions." I'm not too upset because the original homes there weren't all that nice to begin with. But others may disagree with me.

ABOVE: Typical New Lakewood House

There are portions of Lakewood that are conservation/historical districts. That keeps them from getting torn down. Or if they do get torn down, something similar has to go in its place. Thankfully the cutest portions of our neighborhood are protected.
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL area! Thanks for the pics.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:53 PM

92 posts, read 735,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Some schools in the DISD, regrettably south of the Trinity, are run very poorly. Even the teachers don't speak correct English. It is sad. I think they give the DISD a bad rap.
You might want to do your research before you stereotype an area. There are several recognized school south of the Trinity. Overall, Area VI is one of the highest ranking areas in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas