Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM

277 posts, read 575,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
What do you set your thermostat at?

Because mine is nowhere near 80.
78 in the summer if its the weekends (82 when nobody's home). The A/C is on for most of the day too, so its not stagnant air.

And the whole "80's in November" statement is silly in the first place. The record high for November is 89. And looking at the last two Major League Soccer cups held in Frisco in November (05 & 06), the temperatures were 75 & 61. Yeah that mild weather is really a damper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
That's not spring, that's a winter that won't go away.
Only to people who don't know any better.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
And I find anyone who wants to spend the winter where the daytime temperature never gets above freezing and there's snow on the ground 5 months out of the year insane.
Nonsense. The average temp in Boston is 48 in April. That's not spring, that's a winter that won't go away. And I can't tell you how many people I've met from New England that say the seasons are summer, fall, winter and mud.
Most people aren't that insane. There is a mass migration from the frigid belt toward the Sunbelt from people who want to escape the cold and run to the warm. There will always be diehards who need to invent delusional rationales as a psychological escape method. If they want to freeze, let them. It'll purify the gene pool.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,828,840 times
Quote:
How the hell do you live like that?

Mine never even approaches 73.

I used to keep it a few degrees cooler until my son was born 6 years ago(in August) premature. He had trouble regulating his body temperature for several months after he came home - if it was too cool his temperature would drop also. We started keeping the house at 80 degrees that summer. When he got older and healthier we cooled things off slightly just not back to where we were before he was born. Now we're just used to it I guess - plus it helps with the electricity bills (I'd hate to see yours )

Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 PM

CoServ is fantastic. I keep it at about 71 or 72 and my highest bill has been $350.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,828,840 times
Quote:
CoServ is fantastic. I keep it at about 71 or 72 and my highest bill has been $350.
If I had kept the temp 72 during that summer I'd probably only have 1 kid right now - and I'd probably be in jail for homicide, reckless endangerment, child neglect, or something to that effect.

Good to know you are able to stay comfortable while living in hell though!

I am also curious what temp you keep your home at from December through February?

Last edited by tyanger; 08-24-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
If I had kept the temp 72 during that summer I'd probably only have 1 kid right now - and I'd probably be in jail for homicide, reckless endangerment, child neglect, or something to that effect.

Good to know you are able to stay comfortable while living in hell though!

I am also curious what temp you keep your home at from December through February?

About 68 or 70, just with the heat on.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 AM

990 posts, read 2,294,557 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that weather and seasons are subjective.

I find Texas' weather atrocious, and consider anyone who enjoys it clinically insane.

I enjoy a warm summer (80's and low 90's), a cold winter (below 25 or 30), a crisp autumn (50's) and a refreshing spring (60's and 70's). And I enjoy having them each for about 3 or 4 months.

Dallas certainly doesn't have some of the extreme temperature swings, but the trade-off is missing the clear-cut and distinctive seasons that some of the northern states enjoy.

And Dallas does not enjoy 4 real seasons. Not like New England or others places do.
This is typical Yankee bologna.

In case you've never been here, I could break down the seasons here into 7 distinctive seasons. Each have repeating front and upper level wind patterns. Not just temperature, and different precipitation patterns.

Early Winter - Late December and January. Coldest time of year in Dallas and relatively dry. Cold fronts tend to come straight from the Canadian Rockies one after the other.

Late Winter - February and March. Statistically the wettest time of year. Most likely to see snow or ice storms. Temps aren't as cold and can actually be pretty nice. Biggest transitional time temperature-wise. You can have snow and 20s one week, 80s two weeks later only to have it snow again in March. Cold fronts come from the pacific northwest and bring precipitation. The usually are stopped in central Texas and backtrack causing more precip.

Rainy Spring - April, early May. Strong severe storms and flash flooding. Definitely a transitional time temp wise. Lots of strong low pressure centers after the other. Cold fronts and warm front tend to clash right over North Texas and Oklahoma this time of year. Temps are in the 70s with some 80s

Spring - May and June. Warmer than what the NE expects and more like their summer, Temps are in the low 90s. Its humid and can rain. Lots of stationary fronts

Summer - July, August, Earliest September. All the record temps in North Texas are at this time. We've had highs over 110 in the extremes. THI is usually in the mid 100s and usually don't have many clouds. Not much rain, but there is always a chance of an isolated T-Storm just because of the geographic location. Very distinct from the other seasons because we have huge high pressure centers that in the north are called heatwaves, while here they will just kind of sit for a week, then another shows up. Your heatwave is our constant for months

Fall - Late September and October. Most beautiful time of year in North Texas. Upper 80s to 70s. Lots of sunshine. Definitely distinctive from Summer and November-Dec. You see some weak cold fronts that usually back up when they get to Central Texas.

Autumn - Latest October, November, early December. This is more like what northerners think of as Autumn. We get "blue northers" from the rockies which are very abrupt cold fronts. Its distinctively more cloudy than the previous months. Its not a gradual temp change, but more sudden and can be pretty windy at times.

Of course, this is north Texas and at anytime you can get upper 70s/lower 80s whether it be the hottest of summer or coldest of winter.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,772,024 times
How do you like it this morning?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
This is typical Yankee bologna.

In case you've never been here, I could break down the seasons here into 7 distinctive seasons. Each have repeating front and upper level wind patterns. Not just temperature, and different precipitation patterns.

I've lived here most all my life.

And your theory, while entertaining, is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas