Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Dallas definitely has 4 seasons.

No, it doesn't.

At least not compared to other area of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,396,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
No, it doesn't.

Shhhhhh... all those Californians think we have 4 seasons because compared to their uni-season, we do.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,411,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
FYI LA boasts 4x as many people per sq mile than DFW. Also, consider LA communities do have a VERY urban feel to them not to mention very different. (just addressing the original poster)
That density is one reason I was so happy to return home from my recent trip to visit my husband's folks in Santa Monica. Had some nice walks, such as to a little farmers market on the weekend ($7/qt. OJ anyone?) and to grab coffee one morning, but practically wanted to kiss the (less crowded) ground we landed on when we got back to lovely, spacious Texas.

Our house is basically LA-sized as we don't care for large homes, but it's so nice having 50-100% more yard than the homes of the various friends and relatives we just visited. I wouldn't trade the land for that cup of coffee any day of the week. (Although I could easily walk for a cup of coffee now, it would be in Richardson Heights shopping center, not the "urban" experience some people are looking for.) My friends in LA, on the other hand, wouldn't trade the density for the land and reasonable prices. Sounds crazy to me so it's a good thing they live there and I live here!

People kept asking us when we were coming back... we just looked at each other in amazement at the thought of it!

Last edited by Debsi; 08-21-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. Kansas City and Dallas both have a summer, a winter, an autumn and a spring,

Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM

If we're talking about the definition of urban residential, and whether or not Dallas has it, I think these pictures show that it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Dallas:  What is considered urban?-view-down-mckinnon-street.jpg   Moving to Dallas:  What is considered urban?-mercersquareii9.jpg   Moving to Dallas:  What is considered urban?-urban-residential-dallas.jpg  

Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Here are a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Dallas:  What is considered urban?-urban-residential-dallas-2.jpg   Moving to Dallas:  What is considered urban?-urban-residential-dallas-3.jpg  

Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

Is there a particular city or state that is the standard bearer for weather in the USA? What place is it by which all other cities and states are supposed to gauge the correctness of their weather?

Just because the Dallas Fall and Spring seasons only last about 2 months each and our winter is not drawn out for 6 months doesn't mean that we don't have 4 seasons in Dallas. Although Dallas may be meteorologically incorrect by your ideal standards, we most definitely have four seasons here.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 AM

192 posts, read 593,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Yes, it does. Kansas City and Dallas both have a summer, a winter, an autumn and a spring,
I lived in Dallas for close to 15 years. It DOESN'T.

"Spring" lasts for maybe a week or two before the heat sets in for the rest of the summer and turns the state into an incendiary furnace. Winter for maybe a week and a half (the nasty stuff where they close work and school for a week). The rest of the time it's just relatively cold and dreary and doesn't drop below 30. Fall usually doesn't start until after Halloween, and you're lucky to get 2 weeks.

I liked being able to garden in February, but it doesn't make up for the constant sameness of the weather there. Wisconsin has the most amazing change of seasons I've ever seen. They don't even compare.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
I lived in Dallas for close to 15 years. It DOESN'T.

"Spring" lasts for maybe a week or two before the heat sets in for the rest of the summer and turns the state into an incendiary furnace. Winter for maybe a week and a half (the nasty stuff where they close work and school for a week). The rest of the time it's just relatively cold and dreary and doesn't drop below 30. Fall usually doesn't start until after Halloween, and you're lucky to get 2 weeks.

I liked being able to garden in February, but it doesn't make up for the constant sameness of the weather there. Wisconsin has the most amazing change of seasons I've ever seen. They don't even compare.
I think you're somewhere between gross exaggeration and incredulity.

Spring usually arrives in Mid February. Are you saying that it only lasts a week before the unbearable heat sets in? That would make March and April like a furnace, eh?

I have lived in Dallas longer than you, and the weather looks pretty good to me. As far as I'm concerned, Dallas in December and January is a real winter, October and November are genuine autumn, February thru March is a real spring, and mid May to mid September is a warm to hot summer, with hot days and balmy, pleasant nights. I love it.

Wisconsin? It's a climactic hellhole. Everything bad you can say about a Chicago winter applies even more so to Wisconsin.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Is there a particular city or state that is the standard bearer for weather in the USA? What place is it by which all other cities and states are supposed to gauge the correctness of their weather?

Just because the Dallas Fall and Spring seasons only last about 2 months each and our winter is not drawn out for 6 months doesn't mean that we don't have 4 seasons in Dallas. Although Dallas may be meteorologically incorrect by your ideal standards, we most definitely have four seasons here.
That's a good question, Dallas Native.

I think that there are people on this forum that would like to really make us feel down and depressed. They are trying to convince us that Dallas has the worst weather in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas