Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 AM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times

Advertisements

My dad and I just got back from a 5 day trip to the D/FW area and we were quite impressed. We have been thinking about moving somewhere else in search for a nicer, newer, better city to live in and also get away from the cold and ice during the winter here in Louisville. We live on the Indiana side of the Ohio River, but it is considered a suburb of Louisville. We never really had a place in mind but after seeing the entire D/FW metro area for the most part, we think Dallas might be the place for us.

Could anyone who may have experienced the winter season in both areas or who has a good idea of what it would be like in each compare Dallas winters to Louisville winters?

Louisville is obviously a lot worse than Dallas. We are subject to a big snow anywhere from November though February. A big blizzard (probably not quite as bad as the northeast but still pretty bad) usually hits about once every couple of years or so. It's usually below freezing at least in the mornings pretty much every single day from about late November until around late February. We are tired of the cold, the snow, and the icy windshields during winter. We aren't necessarily looking for 75 degrees daily paradise during winter, but at least somewhere that has a lot less of a winter than we get here.

My biggest question I guess would be, how often does the Dallas area get frost and icy roads and such? If we ended up moving there we would likely end up in an apartment at least at first anyway, and we are wondering how often should we expect to have to bust out the ice scraper in the morning during winter time?

The heat in the summer is not a concern for us. It does get pretty hot here especially around mid-June into August, but we are not at all concerned about that. We are looking to get away from the bad winter and get to a place that has a more mild winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
You can expect at least a half dozen days of scraping frost off the windows and less than a 1/2 dozen days with snow and/or ice. Due to the geography of the heartland, there's not much to stop an Arctic blast from rolling through the area, and when mixed with some moist gulf air, you can get some nice precipitation. :-) But the reverse is true too, there's not much to stop the warm Pacific and Gulf temps from pushing through. You tend to end up with a relatively mild winter with a few bursts of freezing days. Monday can see snow, and by Wednesday you're back in short sleeves.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
It usually snows or ices once a year. Sometimes it sticks. Sometimes it doesn't.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
I had family that lived in Louisville years ago so I know how winter can be there. Trust me, you'll enjoy winter in the DFW area compared to that!

We live in a northern suburb and had to deal with either a little bit of ice or snow on at least four different occasions throughout this past winter and the night time temps fell into the teens more than a few times here in the burbs. That was more winter than in the last few years. Every year though, you'll deal with either a bit of snow or freezing rain/sleet depending on just where you live in this large metro. And while it might be gone within a couple days and the weather will warm up a bit, it'll still be chilly enough that instead of a heavier coat, you could switch to maybe a sweatshirt or light jacket...and maybe short sleeves during a nice sunny 60 degree day as GoPadge mentioned!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM

13 posts, read 106,018 times
When I lived in Dallas, I think the most snow I ever saw on the ground was about 3 inches, and that was enough to cancel school for about 3 days.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
You can expect at least a half dozen days of scraping frost off the windows and less than a 1/2 dozen days with snow and/or ice. Due to the geography of the heartland, there's not much to stop an Arctic blast from rolling through the area, and when mixed with some moist gulf air, you can get some nice precipitation. :-) But the reverse is true too, there's not much to stop the warm Pacific and Gulf temps from pushing through. You tend to end up with a relatively mild winter with a few bursts of freezing days. Monday can see snow, and by Wednesday you're back in short sleeves.
If I can expect 6 days a year of scraping off windows, It would be amazing to me. Winters can get pretty bad here, not quite as bad as the northeast but still pretty bad. It seems like I had to scrape my windows off every morning from about January until late February (probably over 50 days).

The weather seems to have what we want. We don't necessarily mind a few cold days or even a little snow, but we are tired of the below 25 temps for 3 months straight with very little or no breaks in it.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmoyer View Post
When I lived in Dallas, I think the most snow I ever saw on the ground was about 3 inches, and that was enough to cancel school for about 3 days.
lol, that's funny. I guess it doesn't beat that about 2 years ago my old high school canceled school because the night before the weather report predicted a huge blizzard overnight... I woke up the next morning, checked the news channel and school had been canceled. I then looked out the window and saw absolutely no snow at all. I waited around and waited around... It never snowed. Apparently something in the atmosphere wasn't right for it to snow or something (I don't know much about it) and basically we got the day off from school and it didn't snow a single snowflake.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Another bit of info that should make you feel good about winter here in the DFW area...the average number of freezes is 41 (days/nights at 32 or below)..although the last few years have been even a bit below that 41 average depending on whether you live in the city (heat island effect) or in a far-flung suburb where it will get colder at night. Compare that to Louisville where days/nights at 32 or below can average about 90 a season.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:01 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
I think you'd really like the mild/somewhat warm winters. Even the cool-medium subtropical winters of a place like Washington D.C., Nashville/Murfreesboro or Oklahoma City would be nicer than the cool-marginal subtropical winters of a place like Louisville, NYC or St. Louis, but I think you'd really like a warm-medium subtropical city like DFW, Atlanta or Birmingham.

Best of luck moving to DFW! I've visited once, and being up in the Reunion Tower during an April sunset was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I think you'd really like the mild/somewhat warm winters. Even the cool-medium subtropical winters of a place like Washington D.C., Nashville/Murfreesboro or Oklahoma City would be nicer than the cool-marginal subtropical winters of a place like Louisville, NYC or St. Louis, but I think you'd really like a warm-medium subtropical city like DFW, Atlanta or Birmingham.

Best of luck moving to DFW! I've visited once, and being up in the Reunion Tower during an April sunset was one of the best experiences I've ever had.
You just responded to over a decade old thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas