Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:11 AM

257 posts, read 945,964 times

Advertisements

I am most interested in western and northern suburbs. By the "best", I mean those with schools rated exemplary.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 08:45 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,060 times
Check www.greatschools.net.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 AM

257 posts, read 945,964 times
Would rather have the public opinion as to the best school district. The great schools website I can find out an individual schools rating, but I am interested in what the public sees as the best school districts in the Dallas area.

For example in Denver, the Cherry Creek School system has the best reputation in the city, with Douglas County Schools a close second. This si the type of information I am looking for.

THANKS

Old 04-28-2007, 01:43 PM

92 posts, read 761,486 times
Everyone has different criteria of what is the best.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:11 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,729 times
Coppell, Carrollton, Plano are some of the best in this area. All are large districts and so within each of these districts you will find faults as well as strengths with individual schools.

Most of the Carrollton schools have websites for each campus that will include the information I think you are wanting. It really depends on what you are looking for academically for your children. Carrollton in particular is very current with the latest research and always training the teachers with current and well designed curriculum. The G/T program is among one of the best in the state of Texas. The special education program is as well. As for high school ... there are academies for almost every thing. Medical, broadcasting, business are just a few. You really have to go and see for yourself. Some of the best elementary schools are Country Place, Freeman, LCE, Kent, Rainwater, and Rosemeade elementaries. That pretty much gives you something to start with as far as Carrollton schools are concerned. The schools are located in far north Carrollton and Irving Valley Ranch/Las Colinas area. Carrollton is very much into higher level thinking and promotes college starting at an early age whether it is a title one school or not. Dr. Annette Griffin is one of the top leaders in the state of Texas. She expects nothing but the best from her schools and admin people.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Carrollton ?

Plano/Frisco/Mckinney/Coppel/Southlake are just a few that come to mind.

Highland Park ISD is probably the best, but you'll need to figure out how to afford HP. Not sure your moving to Dallas to seek a Newport Beach mortgage. Southlake is costly as well. I'd say it's probably #2.

Plano/Frisco/Mckinney are neck and neck because they seemed to almost be modeled after one another. I know these three pay well.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:09 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Grapevine-Colleyville ISD has very good schools. Southlake, honestly, is just OK. They put so much emphasis on athletics that other programs, such as arts, suffer.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
I am most interested in western and northern suburbs. By the "best", I mean those with schools rated exemplary.

Thanks

Don't put too much emphasis on the TAKS test ratings. I think it's a bunch of hooey, and I work for a school district.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:18 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Ummmm, but that's all most people have to go by, so for most, TAKS are the measuring stick. You can also assume in most cases that if the schools are in upscale areas, they are normally pretty good. It works that way in most of the US as well.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,729 times
Just because a school is in a well to do area doesn't mean it is better... I happen to work in a school that consist mostly of apartment/section 8 housing. We are top of the line school and have people asking for transfers into our school because of what we are able to get kids to do. Be careful not to select a school just because it is in Bill Gate's neighborhood. (sorry couldn't think of a better example :-) ) Visit schools and see for yourself. There are a lot of excellent schools out there and a lot of children receiving some of the finest education available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas