Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
For what it's worth, when we were looking at buying a house in April of 2008, our realtor strongly advised us to stay away from Plano as he said it can be very difficult to sell your house in that area.

We weren't that interested in Plano, so that was the extent of the conversation.
The only reason a home would not sell fast in Plano is if it's overpriced, poor condition (even those sell fast at the right price), or the Realtor isn't marketing it properly.

Plano is a very desirable area with access to everything.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
Compared to what area? I think the average days on the market for a plano house is less than Allen, Mckinney, etc.

We were looking at Double Oak, Lantana, Plano, and Flower Mound.

He said it can be harder to sell a house there because it's easier to just head a little north and get something newer or cheaper.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM

436 posts, read 1,613,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
We were looking at Double Oak, Lantana, Plano, and Flower Mound.

He said it can be harder to sell a house there because it's easier to just head a little north and get something newer or cheaper.
true, going north (frisco) is newer and cheaper. but is has traffic, years of infrastructure to build, a ton of homes all just like the other one with plenty of inventory for sale, etc.

plano is built out, has less turnover = fewer homes for sale and a better location as well.

I'd be a little suspicious of any realtor who told you plano was not desirable.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
i'd be a little suspicious of any realtor who told you plano was not desirable.
+1

Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
I sold my plano home last year in 10 days, multiple offers.
My cousin just sold their house (inspection was last Friday) in less than a week. They had multiple offers as well. This was a central Plano home that was older as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Yeah, that's just bizarre that she would say that - and incorrect. It is harder to sell in Plano than it used to be, but the problem is even worse in Frisco and points north.

The further out right now the harder it is to sell. Closer in is MUCH easier.

Quote:
I'd be a little suspicious of any realtor who told you plano was not desirable.
NO KIDDING!!! I'd be suspicious of any realtor that tries to steer you into one or two cities only.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
For the love of the FSM, Plano was a passing mention that took up maybe 37 seconds of time and all he said was it can be difficult to sell a house in the price range we were looking at later on.

Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. It doesn't matter, Plano wasn't very interesting to us.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,650 times
Ok, back to the original poster....

As others have said there's not a whole lot of room left in Plano for new builds. The new builds in Plano are mostly garden homes (little or no backyard) or the builders have a poor reputation. Your best bet is probably going to be an existing home. Based on your price range and concern about schools I'm going to say you'd be better off in central or west Plano. Central Plano houses are going to be around 30 years old but should be kept up well in your price range. West Plano houses vary but will be more like 10-15 years old. Both areas have pretty good schools.

Property values around DFW don't fluctuate as much as the rest of the country. I would say most of DFW averages about 4 or 5% yearly gain in property values when we're not in the middle of a recession.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
If you care to look at existing homes in Plano, I know our area (Chase Oaks just west of 75) would probably be about in your size and price range. Average size home there is probably 3000-3500 with price averaging probably from about 250K to 350K. Most of the neighborhood houses are around 18 years old. High School is Plano East.

There are probably quite a few good areas in Plano if you are willing to consider an existing home.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Just to the east of Plano is Murphy. Plenty of new homes in that range. And close to 190. Westside is served by Plano ISD and the east side is served by Wylie ISD. It's a small community of 14000. Great hometown feel with all of the amenities either in Murphy or nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas