Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Yes, you will find that mentality in Dallas. If there is one city in Texas where brand names and nice cars "matter," Dallas is it. I find that there are lots of people living beyind their means in Dallas just to keep up with the Joneses (who are also living above their means!). However, there are also lots of nice people in Dallas who couldn't care less about that stuff.
I've heard Dallas (not sure on the rest of the metro area) has a big group of "$30,000 millionaires). Is this true?

Take material apperances (clothes, mansions, at face value. Just because a person looks rich, doesn't mean they truly are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 03:58 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
What's the goal of your post ? 30k wont take you far in Dallas, maybe 130k millionares. However, if they choose to spend their money in this manner and live beyond their means.....why should any of us care ?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 PM

179 posts, read 119,934 times
Hugo Boss (the only one in Dallas), Armani, and D&G are still in operation at Willowbend.

Even though there is a huge market saturation, I don't think Willowbend mall is going anywhere--it may not be very popular now, but I'm sure people will get tired of the Galleria/ and/or Northpark.

I say give it a couple of years. Plus, it is in a very wealthy area.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
When was the last time you were there? Armani is long gone, boarded up, shut down. D&G (it's not even a real Dolche) is empty all the time. People haven't gotten tired of northpark for 40 years why would they do it now, same way with the Galleria it has an amazing tourist pull that Willowbend will never have. I doubt Dillard's will stay there once the Stonebriar store will open, again this is their lowest performing sales per SQ. Ft. store in the entire chain. Willowbend is already letting in sketchy stores like chinese avenue in. They can't get anyone to take the Lord and Taylor space. Willowbend was one of the biggest mistakes that Taubman centers has ever made.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
What's the goal of your post ? 30k wont take you far in Dallas, maybe 130k millionares. However, if they choose to spend their money in this manner and live beyond their means.....why should any of us care ?
I was just commenting on the previous post. That's all. I don't care, as long as we don't have to bail them out in same way (through higher fees, prices, taxes, ect.).

I saw in the Dallas Business Journal that Northpark is getting a slew of new boutiques coming in in the next year and beyond. I believe Armani was one of them. Not 100% sure though.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I've heard Dallas (not sure on the rest of the metro area) has a big group of "$30,000 millionaires). Is this true?

Take material apperances (clothes, mansions, at face value. Just because a person looks rich, doesn't mean they truly are.
Yes, it's very true. And yes, some of them DO make $30,000/year and drive BMWs, live in expensive apartments, wear designer clothes. Which is why, like you said, we call them "$30K Millionaires". They just get a ton of credit cards that they can't afford to pay off. I know quite a few people that live WELL beyond their means, and have for years, and are now facing bankruptcy. I sure hope it was worth it, keeping up with the Jonses! LOL.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
khfar - I see you were raised in our great neighborhood, where we are lucky to have been raised where people don't care about impressing anyone or keeping up with the Jonses. It's quite freeing not giving a damn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: