Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM

14 posts, read 66,742 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas on Sept. 9 for a job, and I have narrowed my search to a few apts/places.

The Monterey (uptown): I hear this is a VERY nice/safe area for young people (I am 22). Anyone have any reviews of this place/surrounding area? A bit more expensive...is it worth it? I love the amenities (granite counters, hardwood floors, w/d included, VERY luxurious)

the Dakota (The Village): I love the village, and I love the Dakota (newest community). I love the amenities, although the price is somewhat higher.

The Alexan Southwestern (near med center): I love the PRICE and the LUXURIOUS amenities, however I don't know anything about the area. Is it safe? Is there anything around here? How is it for young people?

Do you guys have any apartment recommendations in the uptown area? Some place safe with luxury would be preferable (but not too steep on price!) Also, does anyone know anything about the Southwestern med center area? I haven't heard anything at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM

229 posts, read 606,872 times
monterey is in a great area (west village). i'd say that would be my top choice out of the 3 you listed... the state thomas neighborhood is also great. those are my favorite two parts of uptown dallas.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,032 times
I agree that the Monterey near the W. Village has a great location. It is a good place from which to base yourself since you are new to Dallas. There are plenty of shops/restaurants/bars and the Magnolia movie theatre within walking distance. You can also access the McKinney Ave. trolley and the DART rail in that area if you are so inclined. The area around the Village Apts. is a few miles to the NE and it also offers lots of convenience, but not as much as the W. Village area IMHO. Finally, the area around SW Medical school has been re-developing quite nicely over the past few years. There should be lots of young people living there, but that will be the case at your other two locations as well. There is not as much to do in that area, so you would constantly be drawn to Uptown. Parts of the area surrounding SW Medical are still kind of sketchy. This would not be a place where I would choose to live. Welcome and good luck to you!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Definitely pick Uptown over the other 2 areas for a 22 y/o professional....but I don't know that I'd pick the Monterrey. It is brand new & very high end, and also on the corner of a major highway and across from a Dallas public high school. A lot of these factors, plus a tough economy esp for Uptown's "bread & butter"- young attorneys & finance folk) mean it is going to be a LONG time before the Monterrey is full. I drive by often at night and it looks like only a handful of units are occupied.

If you are looking for something very upscale in Uptown, go with Gables Villa Rosa on Cedar Springs & Carlisle or there is a pretty Mediterranean style complex on Maple @ the Katy Trail- can't think of the name... There is also The Ashton on Cedar Springs across from the Crescent. These will start around $1,300- $1,500 for a small 1/1 with no terrace. If the Monterrey is offering a significantly lower rate, it is because they need to fill the building.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Yeah, on one side of the Monterrey you have Central Expressway (noise? pollution?) and the other side you have North Dallas High School (impulsive loitoring teenagers?), so I don't know about that location for those 2 reasons. And it looks empty to me, too, when I drive by. But, I don't know. Maybe those aren't big deals.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,400 times
I just moved to Dallas and live in the Monterey. Right now, I believe the building is about 70% full and would be HUGELY surprised if every unit wasn't at least on it's first lease by next spring. There are about 10-20 move-ins every week so I wouldn't be concerned about occupancy at all. My list of pros and cons is below:

Cons:

1) Had too many maintenance issues for a new building. Responsive staff, but still.
2) Not the best finishes. This is not a VERY high end building, but then again it doesn't cost $5000 per month like some (my wife and I have a 2BR/2BA). My biggest problems are the d/w and w/d. They are both too noisy. I had an open floorplan at my last place with a high end Bosch d/w. You could hardly hear it. That is not the case here. Everything is ok but there are WAY more luxurious places to be found not to far from here (again, they cost a lot more).

Pros:

1) Location. I really don't think you can beat the location especially for someone new to Dallas. Plus, I commute to Walnut Hill and 75. It's usually about 10 mins each way, which is great.
2) Value. This is a brand new place with mid-high finishes, mid construction grade, and it was cheaper here than at the 10 y/o Bryson Cityplace. (Always remember to take into account move-in specials, and not just the ridiculous "market rent" that people like to quote)
3) Floorplans. Good layouts with interesting options.

Overall, it's a good building. I give it a 7.5/10. I looked at places in the village and the Alexan Southwestern specifically. My opinions were the village is getting old-the buildings, not the people-and the Southwestern is in the middle of nowhere. I think it will be a couple of years before that area or the design district have much going on. Email me if you want any more specific information.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 AM

35 posts, read 126,119 times
1 or 2 would be good.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,765 times
#1 would be best. Don't do anything in the hospital district.. you'll be hearing sirens all day long and the area is pretty shady looking.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,765 times
I've toured pretty much everything in the > $1000/mth market so feel free to ask any questions.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,808 times
I currently live in the Monterey, and it is definitely a beautiful property with a lot of great amenities. I've enjoyed all it has to offer, and the location is super walkable to some great stuff. The downsides are that you can probably get more for your buck somewhere nearby. It is good for a single person with no pets and who doesn't work weekends(gets a little loud on weekends).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: