Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So because the parents are present when the kids are watching Glenn Beck or listening to Rush Limbaugh, that makes indoctrination ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
If the public schools showed Glenn Beck or Rush during school hours, you bet the people here questioning the airing of the Obama speech in schools during school hours would have a problem with that as well.
I don't like them either. And yes, I'd be screaming holy heck if they had to watch that at school. I don't get into political dogma or political posturing no matter what side of the pendulum it is on.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
YES, if it's your own kid(s). That's a right you have as a parent - it's pretty much part of the definition of being a parent - hell it's your duty as a parent.
While it may be my "right" as a parent I choose to not indoctrinate my children. I'll help them along if they have any questions but I'm not going to sit them down and say "conservative good, liberal bad." Familial indoctrination is a HUGE reason why it took us as a country 100 years after the abolition of slavery to finally enact civil rights legislation.

Sorry if I, god forbid, want my children to have an open-mind and not repeat generic talking points from either political spectrum.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I've got a novel idea. Instead of the POTUS getting on the air and telling the schoolchildren how important an education we get people in the COMMUNITY to go volunteer and be mentors. That would mean a lot more than some pious airbag getting in front of the camera yet again and telling them that. There are plenty of people in the communities that could make a difference in a childs life and actually be IN their lives. The POTUS is not "IN" these kids lives and isn't going to be there when times are tough, their parents aren't supporting them, school bites, or whatever. They need someone they can count on every single day to be the voice of reason, the shoulder to cry on, the hand to help them up and the voice that gives them encouragment and can lead by example. The number of kids that are sitting in America's classrooms that can identify w/ the POTUS are very few and far between. About the only thing that might make him "identifiable" is he was born to a sinlge mother and was raised by his grandparents.

Kids need to see REAL LIFE EXAMPLES of how people in their same shoes were able to get an education, work hard and accomplish something. It does not mean they have to go to college. It means they can see that HARD WORK and sacrifice can pay off and that at times life bites. But we go on. I personally got more "real life" meanings and determination from examples in my own family and the same goes for my husband. We saw our parents struggle, lose everything, go without but still kept their responsibilities and paid their debts and STILL helped others and took care of their families. What are the odds that these kids will be POTUS someday? SLIM TO NONE!!! I mean come on of the kids sitting in a classroom today only a tiny small percentage of them will hold that position. The odds are against them to obtain that position. HOWEVER, they CAN obtain a sense of pride and accomplishment and support themselves much like AVERAGE AMERICANS that can be in these kids lives and helping them along the way and setting an example. If every person that is so for this would stop and go volunteer in the schools, be a mentor to a kid that doesn't have the support at home, be a part of big brothers/big sisters, volunteer somewhere. It would make MORE of a difference than him even showing his face on tv.

Now, if he REALLY wants to do something to improve the education of America's children and help our country.............. Get rid of NCLB and mandatory standarized testing and put vocational training back in the schools. THAT would make more of a difference than anything he can say. DO SOMETHING INSTEAD OF JUST TALKING!

okay, off my soapbox

Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
So because the parents are present when the kids are watching Glenn Beck or listening to Rush Limbaugh, that makes indoctrination ok?
It gives them a chance to discuss the issues as they are being presented plus it isn't coming from the schools, but from a family choice. I don't want my grandkids discussing the Bible in school either, but I have no problem with parents reading it and discussing it at home. There is a huge difference.

BTW, I do not disapprove of a religious class being taught at the high school level if it is an elective. I just think the options should always be there.

Nita

Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Quote:
While it may be my "right" as a parent I choose to not indoctrinate my children. I'll help them along if they have any questions but I'm not going to sit them down and say "conservative good, liberal bad." Familial indoctrination is a HUGE reason why it took us as a country 100 years after the abolition of slavery to finally enact civil rights legislation.

Sorry if I, god forbid, want my children to have an open-mind and not repeat generic talking points from either political spectrum.
I think I'm not being clear. I'm placing emphasis on the 1st meaning listed. Also, I find it difficult to believe that you can teach anyone anything without imparting some sense of good/bad, right/wrong, ok/not ok, etc.

Main Entry: in·doc·tri·nate

Pronunciation: \in-ˈdäk-trə-ˌnāt\
  • Function: transitive verb
  • Inflected Form(s): in·doc·tri·nat·ed; in·doc·tri·nat·ing
  • Etymology: probably from Middle English endoctrinen, from Anglo-French endoctriner, from en- + doctrine doctrine
  • Date: 1626
1 : to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments : teach
2 : to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle

As I mentioned before I don't have a problem with the President giving a speech on education directed towards school age children. I do see a problem with the timing and the way this speech was rolled out to the public. If the program was going be shown at 6 or 7 pm, I'd probably have my kids watch it along with me. Also, I'm going to keep my kids in school next week whether or not it is shown - I wasn't kidding about them not sitting still for 3 minutes ... they won't

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

Blacks had slaves as did Native Americans.
TAHNK YOU!!!

Blacks in Africa enslaved their own people.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,463,229 times
Here's a quote from President Obama from the linked article:

Obama goes back to school - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090903/pl_ynews/ynews_pl888_1 - broken link)

Quote:
"I'm going to be making a big speech to young people all across the country about the importance of education; about the importance of staying in school; how we want to improve our education system and why it’s so important for the country. So I hope everybody tunes in."
I have a problem with the portion in red.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
you don't think the educational system can be improved?
or your don't think it is important for US?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Since when did it become wrong for the president to address the people or the children ?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 PM

501 posts, read 1,463,229 times
Neither......

I don't think an address aimed at my kids needs to include how "they" (liberals) want to improve the education system and why it's important.

If the speech was going to stop at the importance of education and the importance of staying in school I would be on board. But not when you bring politics into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you don't think the educational system can be improved?
or your don't think it is important for US?

Last edited by HockeyDadof2; 09-03-2009 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: