Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:07 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at rental houses this weekend. Everything we've seen in Plano in our price range is a *dump.* So while drving around White Rock Lake -- so beautiful! -- we found a house on Peninsula St. only a block or so from the lake!

Is this a good/safe area?

Also found a place on the 800 block of Cordova St. Is this still part of Lakewood, or am I confused about boundaries? Neighborhood seemed nice, but surrounding areas = a little sketchy. ???

Thanks for any input/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:13 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Will you have kids in public schools? If so, what schools do these feed into?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Peninsula area is great!! It's so cute over there!! The school is Hexter and that's a great school. If you move over there, yuo'll eventually figure out which house is Erykah Badu's.

It depends where on Cordova - if it's closer to East Grand, I'd pass on it. The area is called Hollywood-Santa Monica or Hollywood Heights. Kids still go to Lakewood Elem. You can see the boundry maps on the disd web site.

But...I'd consider the Peninsula house most.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
That's funny- I would take the Cordova house over the Peninsula house. I don't like how there really isn't a neighborhood around the Peninsula house - kids have to cross Garland to get to friends' houses and school. Plus, Peninsula feeds into Bryan Adams High, which is not good & doest seem to be improving.

Cordova, on the other hand, is in a charming neighborhood with an active crime watch and neighborhood association. I love the nearby parks, winding streets with hills, and the fact no one's tearing down those charming cottages yet. Property values have really skyrocketed there in the past 8 years- I wanted to buy over there but got priced out of the neighborhood. Feeds into Lakewood elementary (although a bit of a drive to get there), but is a 5 minute walk to Long Middle and Woodrow Wilson HS. Backs up to the new Santa Fe Trail, which connects Deep Ellum and White Rock. I promise, in 3-5 years, the trail will have all the landscaping, lighting, & security that the Katy Trail does today. Fundraising has started!
The Cordova house is also closer to highways, downtown, & Lakewood Village- closer to the heart of a neighborhood. I have several single female friends who live in HH and are very happy there. Yes, it backs up to a rougher neighborhood, but there doesn't seem to be much if any spillover from one hood to the next. Trust me, I studied Dallas' crime maps intensively when I looked over there.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 AM

This is good info!

The Penninsula Dr. house is Hexter ele and Adams HS (heard not-so-great info about Adam, which made me wonder about the overall area) and Cordova is Lipscomb/Wilson. Hower, the Cordova is house is avail only for a temp lease, so may not meet our needs.

FYI -- our kids are grown. We have a dog and both neighborhoods seemed very dog-friendly! College-age daughter and married older son will visit from time to time, so space might be an issue. I thinki we will at least give them a look. DD really charmed by the lake - so was I! - just not that familiar with crime stats, etc. Seemed like plenty of walkers/joggers in the area, and we want a friendly neighborhood where I can walk the pooch and not have to dodge p/u trucks!

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2009, 04:29 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Since schools are not a factor, GO FOR IT! Peninsula is a really cute area, and the location is surrounded by gorgeous parks. We used to live across Garland Rd on San Fernando and we often walked around the lake near that area.

The only down side to the homes in that area is unless they have been renovated, they will only have one bathroom.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Since schools are not a factor, GO FOR IT! Peninsula is a really cute area, and the location is surrounded by gorgeous parks.
I agree. The Green Spot across Buckner has this:
White Rock Local Market

It's a great little area!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Actually Cordova does not feed into Lipscomb (which is also exemplary) it feeds into Lakewood - somebody gave you the wrong info.

This will be a difficult decision. However, I personally would go with Hollywood Heights as I love that area (better than the M-Streets IMO) - it is part of the greater Lakewood community which is very social and like a small town. Check out this story and be sure to view the pics: Hooray for Hollywood - Lakewood, Dallas, TX

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Update:

We had to pass on both houses - the Cordova house had a charming exterior, but the interior was a little too ragged for our tastes.

Peninsula Dr - that was a hard one! It had only 1 bath and a tiny kitchen. Large-ish master brm and even a walk-in closet! DH says it's still too small and I haven't had any luck convincing him otherwise. The area is really wonderful, though. Hope we can find something a little bigger --- !

Thanks for all the input -- I can't wait to move back to Texas!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:49 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Thanks for the update -- I was having a few second thoughts on this because the Peninsula house would be great for strolling to the lake every afternoon...good luck and I hope you will find something here. Second baths and third bedrooms can be hard to find in certain price ranges around here. But we all need to toss some of our junk, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: