Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM

11 posts, read 79,371 times

Advertisements

We think we have found a nice house, the only prob (or advantage) is that the house is in between two counties. Pays Property Tax to two counties, two ISD's (not double but in ratio of the %age of property in respective county)

This has put me on the back foot and I would like any ideas or opinions on this subject

Is it an advantage i.e. use facilities and parks and rec centers for both counties
or is it more of a disadvantage i.e. any disputes to tax or other matter will have to be raised to both counties, house modification approvals will be required from both counties? If anyone has any idea or experience with the same please share your experiences.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Normally you don't get taxed for both school districts. Such as an area in Collin county, Plano ISD but city of Dallas. You would get 2 bills but the bill from Collin county would only include the Plano Tax. And the one from Dallas county would only include the city and county taxes.

Naima

Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 PM

11 posts, read 79,371 times
Yes, there are two seperate bills, but is there any issue for me to be aware of having a house on the county line.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
I'm assuming the property is actually only in one city?

There are multiple taxing jurisdictions
City
ISD
County
College District CCCD
Hospital District depending on county

The city is what provides the vast majority of what you mentioned plus police, fire, parks, water, etc.

The ISD will provide the school services, and generally you are only served by one ISD.

Being in two different College Districts wouldn't really make much difference unless you've got two kids who absolutely have to go to different community colleges.

You should look up the taxing entities for the property you are considering to get a better idea of who all you are paying.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
So which school district do the kids go to? It sounds like something you are going to have explain and explain. Does the county line go right through the house on the property? Has the boundary been disputed in the past for any reason?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
I've never heard of this. Our house has two different assessed values though. Dallas County Appraisal District sets the rate for the city, and Rockwall County Appraisal District sets the value for the schools and the county. I'd double check on that - double payments to two different counties sounds wrong somehow.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Yes, it does happen. I know of a house nearby us (and the owners) and they pay BOTH Collin County and Dallas County, City of Garland, Garland ISD, Plano ISD, Parkland and the Community College Districts of each county. It is a "split jurisdiction". I just looked up their property on DallasCAD and it shows they pay the Garland and Dallas portions 45% of the assessed value. It is tricky but it can be done. There ARE homes and properties out there where the county line goes right thru the middle of them and I know of about 4 of them right off hand that are split between Dallas and Collin County. These homes get to pick which school district they want to attend if they reside in two. Then the homes down one side all attend A ISD and homes on the other side attend B ISD.

If you don't believe me go over to the Dallas CAD website at Dallas Central Appraisal District and pull up the map and gander over to the Garland/Richardson border on the Dallas and Collin County line and you should be able to find several properties that are split right down the middle.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Mom,

I was up at Miller Elem in Richardson on election day a few years ago. One poor lady lived in Garland, voted in Richardson for Plano ISD. If she hadn't been so frustrated finding the school I'm sure she'd have found it amusing.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
it is not something that is a big deal or that requires a lot of explanation because
1) the people who are your neighbors are usually in the same situation
2) no one else really needs to know
3)the ISD knows were its boundaries are and knows who should go to its schools --it is very, very rare for someone to have choice between two districts but it does happen--once the decision is made for that homeowner--that is it though--can't change back next year....
4) there was problem between Tarrant and Denton county for several years which was resolved last year I think --some taxes were held in escrow until state court made a decision
5) it can be confusing but once you learn what is what, it won't be changing back...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:25 AM

273 posts, read 700,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, it does happen. I know of a house nearby us (and the owners) and they pay BOTH Collin County and Dallas County, City of Garland, Garland ISD, Plano ISD, Parkland and the Community College Districts of each county. It is a "split jurisdiction". I just looked up their property on DallasCAD and it shows they pay the Garland and Dallas portions 45% of the assessed value. It is tricky but it can be done. There ARE homes and properties out there where the county line goes right thru the middle of them and I know of about 4 of them right off hand that are split between Dallas and Collin County. These homes get to pick which school district they want to attend if they reside in two. Then the homes down one side all attend A ISD and homes on the other side attend B ISD.

If you don't believe me go over to the Dallas CAD website at Dallas Central Appraisal District and pull up the map and gander over to the Garland/Richardson border on the Dallas and Collin County line and you should be able to find several properties that are split right down the middle.
Talk about getting it up the back side in taxes….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas