Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any luck growing Sugar Maples, Hostas and Lilac bushes, like the ones grown up north? They sure are beautiful and I wonder if Dallas' hot and dry summers are too much for them. Any success stories or don't bother even trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
a'm sure someone will have a good answer for you......but are you familiar with crape myrtle bushes? They are similar to lilac bushes, come in 3-4 colors and grow profusely....they are beautiful, will get very large if you want them to. You can neglect them and abuse them but you can't kill them....not that anyone would want to unless they are taking over the driveway maybe. City of McKinney plants them on all major streets as so many East Texas towns.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I have hostas in my garden.
I think it's too hot here for sugar maples and lilacs.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,716 times
I'm going to assume that you are new to texas . . . .
Hosta's seem to do ok which I was very surprised by but most of the varieties need to be out of the sunlight or they will burn to a crisp. They also need quite a bit of water and since I tend to be a water miser most of my thirsty plants have conked out.
Have you considdered getting a book on gardening in Texas? It might be very helpful.
If you like lilacs, then have you considered Gardenias instead? They seem to flourish down here and the scent is gorgeous. Thirsty plants as well . . . .I've decided to stick with the dry plants and there are quite a few lovely texas natives.
Personally speaking, I don't like the crepe myrtles. They have gorgeous bark and pretty flowers but they drop flowers and berries all over the place and (if you trim them at all) send up vigorous suckers all over the place. A pain in the neck but mine are over 20 years old and I haven't the heart to cut them down.
With fall coming up you will see bulbs all over the place. I've been told that most of the tulips and hyacinths need to be replaced every year since they are killed by the heat?? No idea if that is true. Daffodils seem to do ok. I planted Crown anemone's last year and they are coming up again now. I'll be planting ranunculus and muscari bulbs this fall but have no idea if they will come up again
Good luck with your garden!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Hostas yes, lilacs...sometimes. It depends on the type of lilac and where you plant it.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
According to the Arbor Day foundation, you can grow Sugar Maples in Texas, although we're at the southern end of their range. Try a Silver Maple instead. They grow faster. We have one that's over 30 feet tall and shades half the western exposure of our house.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Thanks all for the suggestions, I just assumed I woud have to find replacements, and I know there are some great ones, just figured there might be some zone pushers or transplants out there.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 AM

69 posts, read 453,501 times
I lived in Wisconsin for a lot of years, and have been all around the midwest as a "tree person" and I've never seen a sugar maple compare to some of the shumard red oaks in my area of Dallas.

All of my hostas are kept in nearly full shade while in the midwest they can handle tons of sun.

Silver maples are generally considered a junk tree from north Texas all the way through the midwest. They're sort of the midwest equivalent to our bradford pears, weak, fast growing and over-planted. They do grow acceptably well though here, with the same issues you'd have in the midwest.

There are lots of zone pushers here, but they tend to push the opposite way, into the warmer zones. Dallas is having frequent zone 9 winters now. Warmer zone plants often will be flowing all the way through summer while a zone 4 tree (catalpa for instance) will look like it is about to die.

Jason

Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I have hosta's at my and they grow fine. You just have to make sure they are in shade. Direct sunlight is a big no no with them here.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Lilacs do not grow in Texas. It is too hot for them here. (I have a dear friend whose husband sends her lilacs for her birthday because she misses them!) You CAN get a variation called a "Texas Lilac" that doesn't smell as good, but it can take the heat.

Honestly, why not find some plants that can handle our climate and get accustomed to them? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: