Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,909 times

Advertisements

We are looking into private school for our 3 yr. old and it seems many places have a waiting list. Not being from Dallas, I did not know you had to be on the list from birth. Can someone give me some advice for getting into private schools even though we are late in the process. The smaller private schools seem to be a better fit for our son. He is very, very bright but does not thrive in large chaotic environments. I have looked at a few applications for Lamplighter, St. Alcuin, etc. and wondering how my application is going to stand out amongst the 100's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone heard of Westwood?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,826 times
I haven't lived in Dallas for quite some time so I am unfamiliar with Westwood, but I am familiar with Lamplighter and St. Alcuin-they are two excellent schools. If you know a parent at one of these schools well enough have them make a call or write a nice letter on your child's behalf, something that will make the admission officers take a second look at your child's application. Down the line apply for non lower, middle or upper school feeder grades like 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th grade etc. There are often less applicants for these grades, bettering your chances of being picked from a waiting list.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 09-14-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,110 times
I think Westwood is a Montessori, but I don't know much about it. White Rock Montessori is an excellent one as is St Alcuin.

Many great kids get their start at the Science School at the Museum of Nature and Science. It's worth considering for now.

As for standing a chance, have you spoken to anyone at the schools regarding admission, the application process and testing if needed?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
St. Alcuin and Lamplighter are two of the hardest schools to get in at that preschool age. I toured St. Alcuin about 12 years ago - my child was then 3 - and they were not even taking names for the waiting list because it was full too. I was impressed with the school. We didn't even try for Lamplighter. Course the economy was booming back then - dot com bubble and all - lots of private schools were overflowing. Things could be different now. Well, probably not for Lamplighter. It's probably still hard to get into.

I have known a couple of families with kids who attended Westwood Montessori. Back when they were in it, they loved it as the kids were very advanced and they could not find another school willing to take kids early, or young for their grades. There was a big uprising 2-3 years ago, however, and great teachers left the school and all the people I know in the school withdrew rather suddenly.

There were a lot of kids in the preschool age and early elementary age group but as the kids got older the class sizes got smaller and smaller. There were not very many kids in the middle school when my friends were there. At that time they did not have a high school. Also, at that time, they were not an IB school yet, but I heard they are now. I don't have any current info about the school.

Have you considered Parish Episcopal, Good Shephard, or Greenhill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas