Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 PM

102 posts, read 331,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns34 View Post
We were thinking of going to the fair this year, but after hearing about the "parking scam" last year, forget it!!
Catch Dart Rail in Plano to go to the fair, that is what I started doing once the rail made it to Plano. Its a blast! You get to people watch, don't have to worry about traffic stress or parking and when you get off the rail they have special city buses to take you to the gates of the fair. You should really go, every one needs to experience it at least once. Also they have police officers at the spot you get off the train to get on the special buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,139,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBeta View Post
Catch Dart Rail in Plano to go to the fair, that is what I started doing once the rail made it to Plano. Its a blast! You get to people watch, don't have to worry about traffic stress or parking and when you get off the rail they have special city buses to take you to the gates of the fair. You should really go, every one needs to experience it at least once. Also they have police officers at the spot you get off the train to get on the special buses.
Great suggestion. The State Fair is a tradition and it is really great. There is something for everyone there.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,573,040 times
Quote:
Ditto... I never realized how much I would miss it until I no longer had it.

To the OP, I worked and lived in West Plano and it was awesome, I went home for lunch every single day. No traffic, etc. to stop me. Also lots of medical facilities for doctor appts, no need to take leave to go to the doc or dentist. Also my company had a gym, I could go home, relax a bit then go back to the company gym to work out after all the gym crowds had left for the day. Its the little things we don't appreciate until they are gone.
This is absolutely so true. What my husband wouldn't give to work in the same town that he lives in!

Plus, West Plano is more centrally located to the rest of the metroplex than the other options, so if a job change ever came up, you'd have a better chance of having a more reasonable commute.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 PM

686 posts, read 2,429,568 times
Quote:
The trains actually run to the Fair beginning this year. You would just have to change from the Red Line to the Green Line and then that will take you to the front gates.

DART.org - DART Rail System Map

Old 09-20-2009, 10:19 AM

111 posts, read 389,792 times
In my opinion the key is to look on an east-west axis to where you'll be working. The heavy traffic goes N-S.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM

171 posts, read 788,699 times
We bought a house here in Plano a year ago after my husband's relocation from the Austin area. We looked at Allen, Richardson, Wylie, Sachse, McKinney and Garland. All of them had lots to offer, so it finally came down to commute. Hubby works 3 miles from our house and comes home for lunch.
We do not regret our choice. It's been awesome!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureDFWnewbie View Post
We are going to be moving to the North Dallas area in a few months and I was wondering what area(s) is/are the most desirable? My hubbie will primarily be working in West Plano, we will have 2 kids soon (I'm due at the end of the year) so good schools are a plus, parks, etc. I guess I'm addressing those who currently live in those areas--if you had to choose again, would you make the same decision--or would you move elsewhere? Be as specific as you like. For example, currently live in Waterford Parks in Allen but would love to live in Twin Creeks b/c...
Thank you so much for your responses! I look forward to reading them!
I would not do it again. We moved from North Garland to Allen for better schools. However, the commute is awful for my hubby and the schools are not as good as we thought, mainly because they are just too big/crowded. We now know that our kids will probably just become numbers in the sea of students here. WHY they only have ONE high school and THREE middle schoos is beyond me. They have TONS of elementary schools but refuse to make more buildings for the older grades.

If I HAD to do it over again and move away from Garland, I would probably scope out Frisco or Plano over Allen. Yes, Frisco is farther out but their schools are really much better in terms of size. Plano would definitley be on the top of my list too.

Good luck with your move!!!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,139,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgurlforever View Post
I would not do it again. We moved from North Garland to Allen for better schools. However, the commute is awful for my hubby and the schools are not as good as we thought, mainly because they are just too big/crowded. We now know that our kids will probably just become numbers in the sea of students here. WHY they only have ONE high school and THREE middle schoos is beyond me. They have TONS of elementary schools but refuse to make more buildings for the older grades.

If I HAD to do it over again and move away from Garland, I would probably scope out Frisco or Plano over Allen. Yes, Frisco is farther out but their schools are really much better in terms of size. Plano would definitley be on the top of my list too.

Good luck with your move!!!!!
I heard that Allen is going with the one high school strategy so they can be a football powerhouse.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,453,105 times
West Plano should be your #1 choice by a huge margin.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 AM

662 posts, read 1,446,309 times
Default Go with Plano

I agree with all of the people who said Plano was your best bet or maybe Richardson or Far North Dallas. I live in west Plano, and at least it is closer to the city and wouldn't be a long commute for your husband. The schools are excellent in west Plano as well.

I really can't believe this person who lives in Allen and never goes to the city. This person bases her opinion on one trip to the Sixth Floor Museum--definitely not the cultural destination in Dallas. The Dallas Museum of Art, The Nasher Sculpture Center, the new performing arts center, Dallas Summer Musicals, the awesome restaurants like Stephen Pyle's, etc. are all located in Dallas. We have season tickets to Theater Three, a wonderful professional theater with reasonably priced tickets. I just can't imagine never leaving Plano to get to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas