Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,637 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying a townhome, I recently got in touch with a realtor who spent a day showing me a couple of areas. I ended up falling in love with a property that is still in the process of being built. I am now seriously considering making an offer on a new build, but I was planning on doing it myself without the realtor. Since it is a new build, I figured I could get a better price without using her since they would not have to pay the 3% commission. Here is the kicker the realtor is my Mom's friend. Would this be "burning bridges" to make an offer without using the realtor? What do I tell the realtor? My Mom thinks that since she showed me the property I have to use her, I disagree! I would appreciate any advice!!!!!!

Thanks,
First time homebuyer

Last edited by buyingatownhome; 09-16-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM

126 posts, read 339,777 times
I'd use the realtor. Name your price with her and let her deal with it. Irrespective of if you use the realtor or not, you are not going to get the 3%. That comes off of another budget. I'd go with the realtor and see how the bargaining happens. When you see she is not pushing hard enough, you can take over. By the way, I am a consumer and not a realtor....Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
if you treat other people like you are going to treat the realtor, I think you are missing what being a grown up is all about....
fact 1--you have no experience with buying a house--you need someone on your side
the sales person and builder certainly are not
fact 2--the price of the house has real estate fees/sale % built in--you can try to negotiate the price of the house down with or without a realtor--which one do you think would really be more successful
fact 3--the fact that the realtor is your mom's friend might mean that she would help you during the course of the build even after the contract is negotiated with problems--check out some other posts on this board about people who buy homes without realtors--most of them get stung--especially when they are buying a new home
you might negotiate the contract but you don't close for some time--you want to make sure that you are represented during all of the building process...

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Did you pay her for gas that day and wear and tear on her vehicle? That 3% she will make off the sale of that house doesn't always amount to much to cover the expenses of doing business in the real estate field. They have fees they have to pay on top of their fees to the state to keep practicing.

As someone else said, the builder is NOT going to automatically take off 3% for the house if you come back without the realtor. Besides, if she already registered you with that builder....... she is still going to get the 3% if she represents you or not when you go make an offer. Going behind her back and trying to get that 3% is not only just bad it is rotten. No, I'm not a realtor either. Any house she showed you she can get the commission on.

If your a first time homebuyer it would be VERY wise and prudent of you to USE A REALTOR! If this lady took the time out to show you houses all day........ use her.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Remember... What goes around comes around. So you just used her, right?

There is a little detail called "procuring cause". She brought you to the property and she was the cause that you found this property.

You will be lucky if she doesn't file a lien against your house. And believe me she will win big time in small claims courts.

It's because of people like you that many Realtors don't even do business without a buyer representation agreement. Your post's title should be about YOUR etiquette.

Last edited by nsumner; 09-16-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 PM

34 posts, read 92,129 times
I am not a realtor either, but this just put a bad taste in my mouth. ANNNND you are family friends with her. They work their butt off just to make a living and sometimes it is hell because they have to show 50 places and sometimes not even worth it. Honestly, be a good person and don't be cheap and try and make a few bucks. If everyone helps everyone out it will be a better world. Just today I split a sale with a new rep who did barely any work, but I wanted to get her confidence going and help her out. I think being a genuine and honest person will make you much happier in life. That is my 2 cents.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM

436 posts, read 1,614,104 times
use the realtor. like mentioned above, it's a different budget for the commission. she will know things you do not, esp. as a first time homebuyer. we used a realtor with our purchase of a new home and are so glad we did. I'm convinced we would have paid more and had more problems without her.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I used to sell Real Estate - still have my broker's license but haven't really been active in many years as far as selling goes.

I remember I once (mid 1980s) tried to sell someone (member of a prominent retalier family) a home on the M-Streets, corner lot, Mercedes St - they probably could have gotten it for $75,000 if I had been representing them and we really bargained.

Instead they were trying to hide from me that they were looking at a new builder townhome off Webb's Chapel in North Dallas. Had I known that I would have STRONGLY advised against it..and darn it, they sneaked over and bought it...what a white elephant. I'll bet they had to dump it for less than $30k in the real estate bust of the late 80s. That place is not somewhere you would want to live now -- while that M-Street home is probably worth at least half a million today...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
Not to beat a dead horse, but you really need to use the realtor. She showed you the home. It's her sale. Plus, the builder is going to see the first time buyer there with no representation and do everything they can to make a buck off of you. An experienced realtor knows what kinds of games these big companies can play and they know how to play them. The builder is the one who'd rather you not use the realtor, so they can make more money and you can pay top dollar. Don't do it. Do the right thing and make the offer through your realtor.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Point blank----------------USE THE REALTOR------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas