Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:31 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times

Advertisements

While considering relocation to the Dallas area in spring 2010, I've pretty much settled on the Lancaster area. It seems to be closest to the type of neighborhoods I'm accustomed to and where I'm sure I'd be the most comfortable, plus a close friend of mine resides in the South Dallas area (another distant friend lives in Arlington).

Since I'm used to working at airports as they're just my pace and the jobs there pay pretty decent for a single man, I was hoping to find a job at DFW or Love Field. But the airports are in such an incovenient location to the SD area. So I was wondering if anybody had any information or could point me to some websites regarding jobs in South Dallas County.

I hear Cedar Hill is supposed to be booming, but I really do not know enough about what's available in that area.

I'm very physical and good with my hands, so I'd be interested in anything that keeps me active. Customer service positions are REALLY a last resort since I've had so many issues with those types of jobs in the past.

I probably haven't given enough information, so ask me anything else you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Maybe you could get a job here:
UP: Dallas Intermodal Terminal

Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Maybe you could get a job here:
UP: Dallas Intermodal Terminal
Thank you for your response, FND. And this actually seems like something I'd be good with. Except I'm not sure how much they'd be willing to hire someone with absolutely no experience in freight transport. Plus I'm sure they have a union, and I really wouldn't want to deal with fees and stuff like that.

Any idea what the pay is like? (I'm on mobile right now and my phone won't load the whole page)

Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Sorry, I don't know much else about it. I just read it was going to be there and was going to be creating jobs. Maybe another poster knows about it.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Sorry, I don't know much else about it. I just read it was going to be there and was going to be creating jobs. Maybe another poster knows about it.
Oh well if they're creating jobs for the people then it might not be that hard to get in after all. Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Oh well if they're creating jobs for the people then it might not be that hard to get in after all. Thanks again.
Where are you moving from MrMcCoySays?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Default Welcome to the area!

Quote:
While considering relocation to the Dallas area in spring 2010, I've pretty much settled on the Lancaster area. It seems to be closest to the type of neighborhoods I'm accustomed to and where I'm sure I'd be the most comfortable, plus a close friend of mine resides in the South Dallas area (another distant friend lives in Arlington).

Since I'm used to working at airports as they're just my pace and the jobs there pay pretty decent for a single man, I was hoping to find a job at DFW or Love Field. But the airports are in such an incovenient location to the SD area. So I was wondering if anybody had any information or could point me to some websites regarding jobs in South Dallas County.

I hear Cedar Hill is supposed to be booming, but I really do not know enough about what's available in that area.

I'm very physical and good with my hands, so I'd be interested in anything that keeps me active. Customer service positions are REALLY a last resort since I've had so many issues with those types of jobs in the past.

I probably haven't given enough information, so ask me anything else you need to know.
Hi MrMcCoySays,

There are three airports in vicinity of Lancaster. While they are very small and no where near as busy as say Love Field or DFW, they might possibly be of interest to you.

Lancaster Municipal Airport (Lancaster)
Dallas Executive Airport (Redbird area of Dallas)
Mid-Way Regional Airport (Midlothian)

Lancaster is home to quite a few small-to-medium sized industrial, light-industrial, and distribution companies. The Lancaster Economic Development Corporation published an Industrial Employers Directory (http://http://www.lancaster-tx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=231&Item id=672 - broken link) with basic information on each individual company. The number of jobs in these fields is expected to rise in conjunction with the Dallas Logistics Hub development.

Chamber of Commerce sites may be helpful in your search as they often contain extensive information on local businesses. Here are links to chambers in the area: Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill, Red Oak, Waxahachie, Oak Cliff, & Midlothian.

I hope you find this information helpful. Its always nice to hear from people interested in the Lancaster area. If you need more information on the city or anything else, just let me know and I will try to be of assistance.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Where are you moving from MrMcCoySays?
Well the move isn't exactly official yet, but right now I stay in Temple......why? lol

Old 09-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Hi MrMcCoySays,

There are three airports in vicinity of Lancaster. While they are very small and no where near as busy as say Love Field or DFW, they might possibly be of interest to you.

Lancaster Municipal Airport (Lancaster)
Dallas Executive Airport (Redbird area of Dallas)
Mid-Way Regional Airport (Midlothian)

Lancaster is home to quite a few small-to-medium sized industrial, light-industrial, and distribution companies. The Lancaster Economic Development Corporation published an Industrial Employers Directory (http://http://www.lancaster-tx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=231&Item id=672 - broken link) with basic information on each individual company. The number of jobs in these fields is expected to rise in conjunction with the Dallas Logistics Hub development.

Chamber of Commerce sites may be helpful in your search as they often contain extensive information on local businesses. Here are links to chambers in the area: Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill, Red Oak, Waxahachie, Oak Cliff, & Midlothian.

I hope you find this information helpful. Its always nice to hear from people interested in the Lancaster area. If you need more information on the city or anything else, just let me know and I will try to be of assistance.
Appreciate it. Are there any good clubs or sports bars in the area, or are they all in Dallas?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Appreciate it. Are there any good clubs or sports bars in the area, or are they all in Dallas?
I can't think of any in Lancaster, although there might possibly be a few in the Cedar Hill area. If not, we aren't that far from the Dallas venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas