Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

20 posts, read 43,529 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to take a job in Bedford (same distance as DFW airport from Uptown). I'm single late 20s guy and sounds like to place to live is Uptown. My job is 4 days a week (including some weekends mixed in) so I'm thinking about living in Uptown and making the commute. It would be reverse commute each way so I'm thinking it wouldn't be that bad? Around 30 minutes (google map says 20 miles) each way?

I'm also open to any other apartment options closer to Bedford that's good for young single professionals.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 03:15 PM

229 posts, read 606,806 times
Sounds like uptown is your place. Commute doesn't look to be bad.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
It's actually more like 45 minutes from Uptown to DFW.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:00 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Yes, and the traffic is pretty heavy on 183 in rush hours, and will be worse when there is an accident. Keep in mind that there is no public transit alternative, gas is currently about $2.25 per gallon, and Irving cops watch their stretch of 183 like hawks, too.

Honestly, I'd visit Uptown on weekends but live closer to where I work. Have you looked at Las Colinas, especially the area right by the canal?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Honestly, I'd visit Uptown on weekends but live closer to where I work. Have you looked at Las Colinas, especially the area right by the canal?
Thanks Christie living close to where I work and just visiting during the weekends is sounding like a better plan (I just cannot drink since I need to drive back). It seems if I live in Uptown I'll be spending up to 2-3 hour more a week on the road plus the headache. I looked at Las Colinas but that's like 15 miles from my workplace I might as well spend 5 more miles to get to Uptown at that point.

I looked around there are some nice apartments <5 miles from work.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM

229 posts, read 606,806 times
fair warning, you will be bored out of your mind in las colinas/bedford.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
It seems if I live in Uptown I'll be spending up to 2-3 hour more a week on the road plus the headache.
Exactly! I would rather have that extra time and no headache!

Yes, I bet the OP would be bored in Bedford. There are some fun areas of NE Tarrant County. Look at the loft-style apartments in Grapevine and North Richland Hills. Both of these are just a few miles from Bedford and would be an easy commute.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
ChristieP recommends you live close to work so you'll have more free time....to be bored out of your mind!!

I would live in Uptown if you plan to go out a lot in Uptown on the weekends. Assuming you're young & like to have a good time, can you guarantee that you will be sober enough to make a 20 mile drive back to Bedford 100% of the time? If you live in Uptown, you can walk home or take a $5-10 cab ride. Do you really want to be on the highways after midnight with all the drunk and wrong-way drivers (google "wrog way driver" + Dallas North Tollroad or + Central Expressway to read about the half dozen or so wrong-way fatalities this year).

If you are single, do you want to date the thousands of single young girls in Uptown or the 50 in Bedford? Do you want to make the 40 mile round trip during the week if you are dating someone? I won't really consider a guy who lives that far away - not because I'm a snob, but because it's practically a long distance relationship.

Just food for thought. Reverse commuting (against the main flow) is not too bad if you get a better quality of life in your free time.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Man Christie and Turtle both make great arguments. If I'm dating someone far away then I'll make the trip to them. After work I probably want to just chill, watch TV or do some reading and not go out and party. I'm not going to drink at all if I'm going out and living 20 miles away. I guess it's a matter of two days of driving (living in Bedford) vs. four days of driving (living in Uptown).

On the other hand my income will allow me to rent at both places so maybe I'll rent at both lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:40 AM

Good answer, John!!

Honestly, I wouldn't live in Bedford itself. It is VERY much a bedroom community and there are very few things to do there besides get groceries and go to work. See my note above about the loft-style apartments in Grapevine and NRH. Both are maybe 10 minutes' drive from Bedford and they would at least offer the atmosphere of a more urban, hip community. I am frequently in the area near them, and there are lots of people like yourself who live in those complexes.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas