Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:03 AM

19 posts, read 63,833 times

Advertisements

Hi momof2dfw,
i stumbled upon your pics from last year of the Garland area. They were really beautiful. It was nice to see what the area looks like cos all i heard of Garland had been negative and i had the worst imagination. I will be moving from the DC area and i was looking at Frisco or Plano to rent but it's not cast in stone yet. I am a single mom with a toddler and i was wondering if u have any ideas about job opportunities or life in general in the Dallas area. I've done some research though. I prefer newer construction and an area that's child-friendly. I wonder if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Kind of hard to do because everyone sees "bad"

in different ways. Like there are some areas of town that the yards may not be as immaculate as I prefer but that does not mean they are "bad". BTW, areas like that are in EVERY city/suburb around here and not just unique to Garland. If I had to say by geographical boundries what area I would not look in it would be the area west of Shiloh, east of Plano Rd, south of Buckingham and north of Forest. Another area would be right off of Centerville across from the waste water treatment plant south of Hwy 66. Do ya need a reason why for that one If the weather is damp and warm and you travel down Centerville right by there make sure your windows are up tight and hold your nose.

What price range are you looking in? Then I can tell you some specific areas to look in and possibly to avoid (might not be because they are "bad" or "gangs" but because of other problems like traffic, flooding, etc). Here is a link to another thread from last year where I posted some pics of the Garland area.
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ics+of+my+area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 02:35 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsbunnie2006 View Post
Hi momof2dfw,
i stumbled upon your pics from last year of the Garland area. They were really beautiful. It was nice to see what the area looks like cos all i heard of Garland had been negative and i had the worst imagination. I will be moving from the DC area and i was looking at Frisco or Plano to rent but it's not cast in stone yet. I am a single mom with a toddler and i was wondering if u have any ideas about job opportunities or life in general in the Dallas area. I've done some research though. I prefer newer construction and an area that's child-friendly. I wonder if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
I'd look into zip 75044 on realtor.com. We lived in the Garland area for over 20 years... it's a great family-oriented area, with local shopping, parks, recreation programs, good schools w/great IB/GT programs, a small-town community feel yet close to everything else in the metroplex.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 30,833 times
I left Garland to live in West Texas for a short while and that is where I met my wife and step-daughters. When I was ready to move back to the Metroplex I decided to come back to Garland, having been born and raised here. We live in North Garland just south of 190 and I have to say that my wife and the girls have adjusted fairly well to living out here as opposed to a small town and we like our quality of life out here much more too. I will say that I went to the Magnet Schools in East Garland as a child and I had seen alot more drugs and fighting than my other siblings who weren't in the magnet program and went to schools in North Garland. And I dont know about now but when I went to school in East Garland there were "real" gang members out there. So I wouldn't downplay the potential to get in alot of trouble in some of the seedier areas of Garland. To anyone planning to move out here I would say that Garland is a great area to raise your kids. It has alot of diversity that my kids didn't see where they came from and the Garland Police has a strong presence in the community.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 PM

308 posts, read 1,231,952 times
I would say anything south of the George Bush freeway. Just about all of Garland should be avoided.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
And that's based on... ?

I lived there 12 years and would move back there given the opportunity and not just the Firewheel/Greens area.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,816 times
I know this is an old post, but I have to put in my 2 cents. I moved to Garland from East texas, and when I first moved here, I saw a lot of activity that I would consider bad or dangerous, having come from a small town. But after living here for a year, and visiting about 95% of the rest of the Dallas side of the metro, I learned that Garland hardly has the worst activity. I have now been here for 2 1/2 years, and I have been driving on the streets many times in the middle of the night. I work late, so I stay up most of the night, and usually do my grocery shopping at odd hours, between 2am and 4pm. I have never felt in danger. I feel completely confident walking outside at 3am and smoking a cigarette. I have stopped at closed gas stations at 2am and put gas in my car. This is all in the area of miller, broadway/1st st, centerville, northwest hwy, and saturn (they make a big square and cover a good portion of the city). I've not once ever been approached by anyone, at any time of the day or night, in any part of Garland, who tried to do harm to me. I do know that I frequently see anywhere from 5 to 10 cops per night on any given night within a 30 minute time frame, so that tells me they are doing something positive and proactive. There have even been times where I forgot and left my car unlocked, and I have even accidentally left my wallet in my passenger seat overnight, and it has never been stolen. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it never has - so that has to say something about the potential for crime.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 PM

14 posts, read 73,060 times
becareful for gangs in garland suchs as east side homboys that stay in freeman and the batos locos there hasent been that gang activity in oakcliff but ders alot in rowlett like the all mighty ms13 but close by miller street theres gangs lik miller street crips thers alot of drug activity

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM

621 posts, read 1,332,600 times
Garland has a lot of cheaper areas, look on realtor.com and see them. Drive thru some of them and then see if they are near to where you want to be. Go by the Garland PD and ask questions too, they don't mind.

That's the best way to judge for yourself.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
Like most cities Garland has some great areas and some not so great areas. You just need to do your homework to know which parts to avoid. Your eyes will tell you what is safe and what is not. Some common sense will take you a long way.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garland anti-gangster View Post
becareful for gangs in garland suchs as east side homboys that stay in freeman and the batos locos there hasent been that gang activity in oakcliff but ders alot in rowlett like the all mighty ms13 but close by miller street theres gangs lik miller street crips thers alot of drug activity
Sorry but Rowlett and Garland is NOT gang central.....and any that you might have mentioned are mere groups of wannabies.....non sense posting if I do say so myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas