Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that DFW has a roughly equivalent number of international destinations to other airports in similar-sized metros with airline hubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious now...justme02, if you read this, why would an Africa route not happen? I can assure you that there is a VERY strong African presence here (tons of Nigerians, Ghanaians, etc) in the DFW area that would make this a profitable idea for AA...my MIL just left for Nigeria today, she has to take a connecting flight to Houston, which had me thinking why? DFW should have a route for this.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious now...justme02, if you read this, why would an Africa route not happen? I can assure you that there is a VERY strong African presence here (tons of Nigerians, Ghanaians, etc) in the DFW area that would make this a profitable idea for AA...my MIL just left for Nigeria today, she has to take a connecting flight to Houston, which had me thinking why? DFW should have a route for this.
It all has to do with yield management.

A DFW-Africa flight could probably fill a plane a few times a week, just not profitably. Houston can. However, the flight from Houston to Lagos has absolutely nothing to do with Nigerian or African community in Houston. It has everything to do with the oil ties between Nigeria and Houston.

VFR traffic (visiting friends and relatives) is extremely low yielding and thats all that DFW-Africa is since there are few business ties from North Texas to Africa (outside of Johannesburg and Capetown). Houston-Lagos is a huge business market. I spoke recently to a collegue at Continental and she told me that the Houston-Lagos flight actually carries surprisingly few Africans. Its all oil workers/executives.

Since this thread has started there has been a surge in DFW traffic. Qantas started the flights to Australia, Emirates is starting their flight to Dubai (at the expense of the 2nd Houston flight), American added Rio de Janeiro as well as several destinations in Mexico, and Korean Air and British Airways increased frequency.

Truth be told DFW does pretty well internationally. We have service to 51 international markets. We are the 3rd busiest gateway to Mexico (after Los Angeles and Houston) and the 5th busiest gateway to Latin America as a whole (after Miami, New York, Atlanta, and Houston). As far as O&D, we are home to the largest Texas-Asia local market (DFW-Seoul) and we are the 11th largest local market to Europe, the 5th largest local market to Latin America, and the 10th largest local market to Asia.

I think for the most part, we have what we need.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM

390 posts, read 715,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
...and British Airways increased frequency.
BA has not increased frequency, but they have up-guaged from a 777 to a 747.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
BA has not increased frequency, but they have up-guaged from a 777 to a 747.
Sorry, I meant to say equipment.

Starting the 28th of October it will become a 77W which is great for DFW based travelers. The 77W's are brand new and much nicer and have a similar capacity as the 744's.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,006 times
The problem is that AA has all the markets making it difficult for all the other companies to establish themselves in the European routes and making it one of the worst company to flight with in recent years. For us European, it is difficult to flight cheaper and direct like any other big cities because of the restriction that impose AA. The only effort they make are the London and Germany routes since they have direct competition with BA and Lufthansa . My last trip to Europe lasted 24h and 3 stops , a nightmare.
I really hope that Virgin doesn't get scare like other companies and make a huge dent in the AA market .

Old 12-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
The problem is that AA has all the markets making it difficult for all the other companies to establish themselves in the European routes and making it one of the worst company to flight with in recent years. For us European, it is difficult to flight cheaper and direct like any other big cities because of the restriction that impose AA. The only effort they make are the London and Germany routes since they have direct competition with BA and Lufthansa . My last trip to Europe lasted 24h and 3 stops , a nightmare.
I really hope that Virgin doesn't get scare like other companies and make a huge dent in the AA market .
24 hours and 3 stops? Where did you go?

This is too simplistic. There are many factors that dictate the cost of a ticket (availability, season, etc.). AA has the bulk of the market because thats who consumers choose to fly in Dallas. Its not some sort of conspiracy. The market dictates what it dictates. BA, Lufthansa, and KLM (seasonally) are also here. Given the market size to Europe, they (along with the 5 daily flights and 4 destinations from AA) is plenty for Europe. The market size from DFW to Europe is about 1600 people per day (London, Frankfurt, Paris, and Madrid are over 2/3's of that as well). Throw in India, the Middle East, and Africa, that adds another 750 people a day (with 475 of that being to India). Right now in the summer there are 10 flights a day and about 2200 seats.

The DFW market has what it needs to Europe.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,130 times
I know this is an old thread, but there have been changes since the OP started the thread in 2009. For example, Emirates Air does (Edit: will be starting next year) a DFW-Dubai non-stop. This is pretty good for India and Africa travellers who can transfer there to final destinations on Indian subcontinent, middle east, or Africa.

Also, there is now a DFW-Sydney nonstop on Qantas (although one of the directions has to have a fueling stop in Australia).

I'm probably missing other new ones, but there are more and it is increasing. As to indian subcontinent, I'd be surprised if it is feasible (yet) to do a DFW-Mumbai or Delhi nonstop. Maybe an Indian carrier, like Air India (which I don't like) or Jet Airways, could do a DFW-Dubai-Mumbai/Delhi.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,931 times
Here is a complete list of airlines and destinations for DFW International Airport.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,790 times
From another perspective as someone who has entered the USA via Newark, Chicago on privious occasions. Though when I entered via DFW with the non stop flight from London with BA, I found DFW to be quicker to get through immigration and the immigration people were very friendly. At other airports they are quite abrupt. (Yes I'm hear leagally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas