Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times

Advertisements

Far West Plano or far East Carrollton, both in Denton County, should be a consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl2b View Post
My hubby and I are moving from Seattle, he is working in Carrolton. We are looking in Plano,Frisco,Mckinney, and possibly Carrolton.

I have done all the crime serches etc, what are your opinons. We are looking for a nice upper class neighborhood, or posh loft. We dont have and will not have children, so schools dont matter. I simply dont want a crappy,old area. I fly in Friday to look at houses, but would love to narrow the areas down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl2b View Post
Thanks guys! Mckinney is looking better and better!

Your NOT going to find a "posh loft" in McKinney. And the commute would be a PITA! Your also not going to find it in Carrollton.

As others have suggested you need to head towards DALLAS. Go south into Dallas and not only will you find the "post loft" but you will have ample to pick from, the upper class neighborhoods and your husbands commute will be AGAINST most of the rush hour traffic.

What kind of budget are you looking at? This will help us to steer you into areas that are more fitting for your wants.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,416 times
Thanks for all the help! I feel like we have zeroed in to a better area with your help. Our budget is 500k,but we are finding the houses are ginormous for 2 people. Here that buys you a small house and an even smaller loft space.

thanks again!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
You could have your pick of new construction townhomes or high-rise condos in Uptown on that budget.

Or you could look at 1930s-1950s charming homes that have been completely remodeled & updated in zip codes 75206 ("M Streets") or 75209 (Devonshire, Briarwood, & Highland Park West). $500k would get you a completely remodeled, 3/2 or 2/2 one story between 1800-2500sf with a nice yard with trees, a deck/ patio, and maybe a pool. Much more appropriate for a couple with no kids than a McMansion in the suburbs!

If you want to check out lofts, look in Deep Ellum (75201). It is a more urban, artsy pocket on the east side of downtown. You can find a fantastic loft or other urban housing for $200-$400k. I'd recommend renting there for 6 months first to see if you feel at home in the artsy vibe there.

Last word of advice- are you aware of how high insurance and property taxes are in Dallas? A home valued at $500k will run you nearly $12,000 a year in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas